Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Intriguing (as in raises a lot of questions) article about Michelin's plans to replace the tire we've know for almost a hundred years. Look twice at that picture. http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=4655
Appears to have moved from a "pie in the sky" engineering study to a "sure thing", at least in low speed applications.

·
4,592 Posts
:eek: :thumbs: Cool find!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Very interesting! Looks like it would be really good for the off roaders!

I hope they enclose those spokes however, I don't think it will work too good once they get clogged with snow and ice!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I've looked more than twice, and I still don't get it. I can read the text and think I understand, but the picture blows fuses in my head.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You have got to see the Segway they want to first try the Tweel on. Way cool machine. The one illustrated does not have the new tires on it.
http://www.segway.com/centaur/ and the other product is the iBOT by J&J, a wheelchair that climbs stairs.

·
4,592 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RODEO said:
Ff88 nailed it, they better cover those sidewalls.
Now that my mind has chewed on it a little while, I have also become curious on the cost. It is going to have to be comparable to a regular air pressure radial tire. If it is significantly higher, manufacturers will not want to pay for them to have them as original equipment, and most owners will not want them as replacements.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And remember, tread life would be the same as pneumatics so they'd have to be replaced just as often.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reminds me of the Lunar Rover's Springy Thingies! :)

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Please just give me a side wal cover so I have some place to use my life time supply of armor all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts