Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heya,

been lurking around the forums for awhile. put my $1K deposit down awhile ago..still waiting for for status update from cricket ;p last update from him beginning of oct was still at 3000 :(

was thinking of getting used Z3 or Z4...happened onto the solstice...and completely forgot BMW made cars ;p

anyways..back to the original question...

who's getting this car cuz of mid-life crisis, since i've seen mostly older people in the pictures??

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
dylan01 was 17 when he placed his order. Too bad he's 18 and still waiting. But soon, and he will have his sweet ride!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Midlife crisis? Well for some, but Solstice changes the affordability profile...

I would have bought this car at 30 years old if it had been built 13 years ago...

I don't think it's so much a mid life crisis issue as one of affordability. Now, before you get out the pitch forks and torches, hear me out.

Most other roadsters and desirable cars are priced such that you really can't afford them until you're fairly senior in your career. This is especially true of the Corvette and higher end models. Obviously there are some exceptions, but many of us have to settle for much less flashy wheels because we can't afford to buy a car that's closer to the down payment on a 4 bedroom house than to last semester's college tuition. The Miata is a notable exception, but even those have been closer to the $30K mark than $20K.

There are many members for whom the Solstice is an early car. However, what we may be seeing could be a generational difference in styling preference. With the Solstice, there is a slightly older generation who grew up watching Shelby AC Cobras tear up the race tracks when we were pre teen, and loved that curvy sprightly roadster. Then too, we watched Get Smart and saw the amazing Sunbeam Tiger, and Simon Templer, the Saint, driving a Volvo 1800 roadster, so we were primed to like a curvy tight package with not so many holes carved in the nose.

The younger generations seem to like the angular refugee from a pumpkin carving contest look of the Sky. I'll admit, my first impression was that someone took a wicked knife to a giant block of foam when I saw the sky in person at the LA Auto Show. My comment was, "Wow, too many holes in the front--looks like some went nuts with a pumpkin carving knife." However, as I have looked at the sky for a longer period of time, it has started to grow on me. It is very reminiscent of the Acura RSX nose, and doesn't look enough like the Vauxhall Lightning for my taste: (same number of holes, but the center V is too wide and stretched) Were the Lightning actually available, it would be a tougher choice.

Were there no Solstice, I'd absolutely be ordering a Sky. I loved the red and black interior... Gee, guess you couldn't guess that from my avatar...;)

Mid life crisis? Sure for some. Mostly, though, it's an affordability issue for previous roadsters, and the styling differences between the Solstice and its younger sister, the Sky, will separate the generations. The Solstice opens up the market to folks who just couldn't afford anything but a Miata in the segment.

·
5,600 Posts
I am 46 but I am not getting this car to feed my midlife crisis, which hit when I was 38. This car will replace my motorcycle for weekend fun and for interstate travel.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
:agree: wiht jimbo. I'm 57, but I've ALWAYS wanted roadsters. I had two Fiat 850s and 4 Fiat X1/9s, they were affordable and looked good! Performance has never been important. I don't want to go any faster than petal to the metal, so they were enough to keep me alive to HAVE a mid-life crisis if I want to!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Crimson Avenger said:
I would have bought this car at 30 years old if it had been built 13 years ago...

I don't think it's so much a mid life crisis issue as one of affordability. Now, before you get out the pitch forks and torches, hear me out.

Most other roadsters and desirable cars are priced such that you really can't afford them until you're fairly senior in your career. This is especially true of the Corvette and higher end models. Obviously there are some exceptions, but many of us have to settle for much less flashy wheels because we can't afford to buy a car that's closer to the down payment on a 4 bedroom house than to last semester's college tuition. The Miata is a notable exception, but even those have been closer to the $30K mark than $20K.
ah..you see...therein lies the conundrum.

if you just wanted to have this car for "fun" (i.e. take the scenic route with the top down), then...appearance of the car wouldn't really matter...since that doesn't really affect one's driving enjoyment out of the car. the "performance" aspect would deem to be more relevant. of course, too much emphasis on a car's performance (i.e. my car leaves your car in the dust) may indicate a person's insecurity about oneself in other ways (aka the need to compensate for other shortcomings) ;p

however, for those ages 30 and up, having a good looking car that would turn heads..lets say away from the miata and onto your solstice lends itself more of a midlife crisis doncha think, since midlife crisis has more to do with a person's preceived (physical) image of oneself. a car as good-looking as the solstice would tend to boost a person's overall image that may have declined with age. (aka the "coolness" factor)

just a theory, of course ;p all boils down to the real reason one purchases roadsters (and specifically, the solstice)

o btw, about the younger generation not liking the style of the solstice...showed to my friend and he likes it a whole lot more than the sky. he says the sky looks too much like the typical american sports car. the solstice is more "unique"

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mid-life crisis, so what?

Call it a mid-life crisis if you want to. At 54 I'm finally getting a fun to drive car that will not only bring back memories, but be my everyday commuter (weather permitting). My early cars included a Bugeye Sprite, MG Midget, and a Sunbeam Alpine. Then the married with children thing happened. Here comes the Volvo wagon, Taurus wagon, and when the kids got older we got a Chevy sedan. Later, for myself, I got a pick-up truck with a cap to haul my canoe, camping, and fishing gear. I bought my second pick up 10 years ago and I still drive it (134,000+ miles). I'm not getting rid of my pick up. For years I wanted a roadster for commuting and fun on the weekends. I was going to buy a 3 year old Audi tt, and then I read about the Solstice. For the same price as the 3 year old Audi I'm getting a brand new vehicle. My only regret is that I ordered it late (August) and the way things are going, I'll be fortunate if I get the car for next Spring. I'm not going to cave in like so many others have. This is an affordable, fun car that I'm looking forward to owning and driving. :)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I am forty nine and this is not a mid life crisis for me , I always wanted a convertable but have never seen any new models that I really liked. I wasnt even in the market for any thing til I bumped in to a live solstice at a drag race in ohio, my brother in law was standing next to me and when we walked up to the solstice he could see my eyes light up .He could tell that I wanted one. This is the first time in my life that I fell instantly in love with any car. That following monday I put in my order NOT A MIDLIFE CRISIS

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
58 here

When I saw it two years ago in Autombile magazine I said I want it...and now I can afford it.

I could have bought an S2K or a Z3 or a Z4 or a Boxter.....but they didn't interest me. I'm a pick up truck guy too - that is my every day vehicle and I wouldn't be without it.

If the Solstice hadn't come along I'd be staying with the truck. I don't "need" this car....but I want it...and I can afford it.

I'm with all the others below :agree: Crimson...Gizmo daveclancy etc....for all their reasons too.

I'm secure in who I am...this is no crisis for me

oh and btw....I recognize that the Solstice is the chick magnet :cool: ...not me ;)

peace in the valley

Druid

·
Registered
119 Posts
44. Planning on going sometime before Sunday to put a deposit down. Wife blames is on mid-life crisis, I blame it on one fine a$$ automobile.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
no mid life here...got over that at 40 with my mustang gt.....50 now....her 46...is for us this time..empty nesters....will still have an 04 malibu maxx and 96 ford bronco....the solstice for our fun car....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi, I'm just bored with my wife's SUV and my convenient, fuel-efficient, practical and sensible car. I sold my 1965 GTO Convertible (red with white buckets, trip carbs, 3.90 rear, real-hurst package) a long time ago. I think it's time I get a recharge.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I also am 58, but no mid-life crisis here. I cured that by having three Corvettes over the past 7 years, but if I still needed a fix for the mid-life crisis, it would be with a Cadillac CTS-V (basically a 4 passenger Corvette). I am using my Solstice as an everyday driver, top down as much as possible (even in colder weather - that's what down jackets and a good heater are for), and just enjoy the fact that if I want to travel the back roads, I have the perfect vehicle to do that with. :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm 51 and you're right. When I should have been able to afford a 'Vette, I settled for a Camaro (twice). Later, a couple of turbo Daytonas, lots of fun and OK on the snow with its FWD. Now I could afford a 'Vette, but the Solstice is within the budget for an "extra" car. And my wife has enough left over for a kitchen upgrade. :)

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
flaj said:
I'm 61 and I'm going through my 3rd mid-life crisis. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:agree:
If mid-life crisis is to blame, been in one since I hit 20, and bought my first Vette.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'd have to go with Crimson and Druid - it has a lot more to do with affordability than a mid-life crisis. I'm 38 and my oldest (of three) will hit college in 4 years. I figure I have this little window to get something fun before I am totally screwed (yes, eventually, all three will be in college at the same time :willy: ).

I NEVER considered a Miata, S2k.... I did toss around the idea of a used 'vette - but never got all that excited about it.

As for 'cool', I personnaly this my Javelin has that covered :thumbs:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I owned a Corvette and an RX7 25 years ago but my two boys turned 15 and 16 and the temtation for them was to much, so I sold both of them.
But I promised myself that some day in the future I would by another roadster
when someone produced a roadster that I liked and could afford,that turned out to be the Solstice. By the way i'm 63.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Maybe we need a Splinter solstice Club

we'll call it SOFI

Solstice Old Farts Inc.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts