Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, the cup holder is intact but keeps popping open. I can't find any videos on how to remove that cup holder as I"m guessing it's an issue with the spring. (There is lots of info on the side cup holder removal though.). Does anyone know how to do this or can direct me to a video? Thank you!

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,319 Posts
if your car is a manual transmission and you have long arms like I do then you could be bumping it with your elbow, just like I do. It's really annoying when it keeps on coming open.

Reactions: Skyowner

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
It's the opposite effect of shutting off the radio when you shift. lol - happens to all of us!

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Both of those things are the reason why I put the DDM short shifter in and also cut down the shifter stem 3/4". I wanted a short short shifter where the shifter knob only has to move 1 1/2" to go from one gear to the next.

Reactions: Skyowner

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I gotta say that opening the cup holder with the elbow or turning the radio off from hitting it with your hand is a minor inconvenience compared to the midget arm window switches.

Reactions: Wpetrie

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I have still a pain to roll the windows up and down.

·
Premium Member
17,245 Posts
the center cupholder is held in place by I think three screws. Pull the side sills, they pop straight up and out. Pull the rear corner plastic trim pieces, they also pop right out. Be careful of the speaker wiring so you dont damage the speaker. You can disconnect the speaker and fully remove the corner trim pieces. Then pull the waterfall forward away from the rear of the cockpit. Pay particular attention to the seatbelt penetration through the waterfall so you can get it back together correctly when you are reassembling things. once you have the waterfall loose, you can access the mounting screws and remove the cupholder. In the 09 cars, there is a blank off panel that fills the hole where the center cupholder lives in all other years. They eliminated it in the last year of production.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the center cupholder is held in place by I think three screws. Pull the side sills, they pop straight up and out. Pull the rear corner plastic trim pieces, they also pop right out. Be careful of the speaker wiring so you dont damage the speaker. You can disconnect the speaker and fully remove the corner trim pieces. Then pull the waterfall forward away from the rear of the cockpit. Pay particular attention to the seatbelt penetration through the waterfall so you can get it back together correctly when you are reassembling things. once you have the waterfall loose, you can access the mounting screws and remove the cupholder. In the 09 cars, there is a blank off panel that fills the hole where the center cupholder lives in all other years. They eliminated it in the last year of production.
Wow, that's quite a production! I put some velcro in there and that seems to be holding :). Probably safest option! Thanks for that info though.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I do not need to hit it wile shifting, it pops out if I hit a bump. Very annoying. I bought a used cupholder off of EBay to see if I could come up with a fix. I never found anything that worked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, the cup holder is intact but keeps popping open. I can't find any videos on how to remove that cup holder as I"m guessing it's an issue with the spring. (There is lots of info on the side cup holder removal though.). Does anyone know how to do this or can direct me to a video? Thank you!
Push one of the corners in and the other corner will come out. Just pull.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts