Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seems the constant production delays are coming true. I am going to give it 2-3 more weeks and may have to drop out of the solstice group :nonod:

I must have a car by august and if it goes past the 2nd week of june my odds of making that date are pretty low. My point for this post is does anyone want to take my spot in regular allocation? I think it can be transferred without a big problem. I have 1k down already to hold the spot and will be getting the car at MSRP. I am located in Tampa, FL and my order is through a local dealer. It only makes sense to be local.

If anyone is interested ill discuss this more with the dealer and the person interested.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Cant you rent a junk till it comes in,Or do you have someone who has a car
you can use .How come the rush.You will hate yourself down the no solstice road.Good Luck

·
Banned
63 Posts
What colors/options etc. did you order, i might be interested if its mysterious and black interior.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
007 DC5 said:
What colors/options etc. did you order, i might be interested if its mysterious and black interior.
If his order hasn't been picked up/locked yet, you can change the options to whatever you want.

·
Banned
63 Posts
brentil said:
If his order hasn't been picked up/locked yet, you can change the options to whatever you want.
oh i see.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Billabongi said:
Well it seems the constant production delays are coming true. I am going to give it 2-3 more weeks and may have to drop out of the solstice group :nonod:

I must have a car by august and if it goes past the 2nd week of june my odds of making that date are pretty low. My point for this post is does anyone want to take my spot in regular allocation? I think it can be transferred without a big problem. I have 1k down already to hold the spot and will be getting the car at MSRP. I am located in Tampa, FL and my order is through a local dealer. It only makes sense to be local.

If anyone is interested ill discuss this more with the dealer and the person interested.
I'm in the same boat as you. My lease is up Augest 15th. I need to have a car by then. My dad has been going to my dealership for 20 years now and has a good rep with the owner so I'm going to see if they can give me a renter for a month till my car comes in. You may want to ask your dealer abotu that if your in the same situation I am.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Here is what you do. Start scouring autotrader for a decent used vehicle at a good price. Drive it over the summer, and once your Solstice comes in, put it back up for sale. You should be able to get back about what you pay into it. As long as you don't buy a really new or expensive car, it shouldn't cost too much in tax. With the tax and title and stuff, there will be a little bit of an expense to it, but not nearly as bad as taking a depreciation hit on a new car and then trading it in on a Solstice a year or two later because the Sol is what you really want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SlipSlider said:
I'm in the same boat as you. My lease is up Augest 15th. I need to have a car by then. My dad has been going to my dealership for 20 years now and has a good rep with the owner so I'm going to see if they can give me a renter for a month till my car comes in. You may want to ask your dealer abotu that if your in the same situation I am.
As someone that has leased cars for 10 yrs, there is an easy solution. Ask the dealer/finance company if you can extend the lease month to month. Believe me, they are in no hurry to get the car back off lease.

·
5,641 Posts
Mandrake said:
As someone that has leased cars for 10 yrs, there is an easy solution. Ask the dealer/finance company if you can extend the lease month to month.
:agree:

In fact newer lease agreements will even show you the cost of this extension.

A car on order is one of the few reasons GMAC will extend a lease.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Mandrake said:
As someone that has leased cars for 10 yrs, there is an easy solution. Ask the dealer/finance company if you can extend the lease month to month. Believe me, they are in no hurry to get the car back off lease.
Good point, but the more I drive it the more crap I have to fix.

I just hope I get a loaner for a month... a nice GXP would be perfect.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive always had a second option "Toyota X runner, boy thats a strech from a solstice lol." I go back to college in August and can no longer borrow my current vehicle. Also, currently all my money is going to a "pool" for my new car "deposit and such" I cant take the chance of buying a el cheapo and it breaking down or not being able to sell it quickly once the solstice comes.

Ive thought of all that I could for my situation. It just seems my time is numbered due to production delays. Like I mentioned before Im going to give it 2-3 weeks and hope for the best but theres just to many delays being talked about to see me realistically getting the car in early august.

·
Registered
162 Posts
:brentil: My lease is up July 31. I can not extend the lease on a monthly basis as the lease is with another auto manufacturer and it can only be extended on a monthly basis if I am waiting on delivery on the same brand of car.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Wow, never thought about people coming off leases. Personally I'd try to rent something unless it starts stretching into more than a month.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Or buy a really cheap used car to get you by, as was said before.

Upon taking delivery of my Solstice if there is anybody that needs a car to get them by until they get theirs, I'll GIVE you my other car. I'd like to sell it of course, but to help a fellow future Solstice owner I'd be willing to hand it off. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
DON'T BUY ANYTHING FOR LESS THEN A YEAR!!! Taxes my friend. Taxes. Just rent a car for a month or two or whatever. They have long term rentals for not too expensive. Definitely cheaper than buying and selling.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Leo....just put an order in for a 2006 model from the other manufacturer....extend your lease....that should buy you the time you need to take delivery on the Solstice. Then just cancel the order on the other car....

·
5,641 Posts
Several years ago we were faced with a customer in a simular situation. This is what we did so that everything was up & up and covered insurance wise.

Sold them a used car for a price that we agreed to take it back at in trade when the new car arrived. (Although it would also have been fair if it cost something)

In our situation the buyer used the cash they were going to use for new car downpayment ot buy the used. So got it back as trade (downpayment) on the new. State sales tax paid on the used was equal to the sales tax credit for the trade. Buyer was out the registration transfer charge and title charge ($65).

Buyer was happy. (And I must add we got the car back cleaner then it went out ;) )

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
Wish I had you for my dealer. I was at the end of my lease on my Miata. I turned my lease car in. Went to the dealer where I am buying the Solstice and bought a used Dodge Neon 2000 for about 7,000. We do not have the great deal you gave. I hope that I will come out sort of even when the Solstice comes in. They suggested I sell it myself to get the bet $$$ for the Neon. Hope I come out OK in the end. Guess the wait for the Solstice will help.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Small Dealer said:
Several years ago we were faced with a customer in a simular situation. This is what we did so that everything was up & up and covered insurance wise.

Sold them a used car for a price that we agreed to take it back at in trade when the new car arrived. (Although it would also have been fair if it cost something)

In our situation the buyer used the cash they were going to use for new car downpayment ot buy the used. So got it back as trade (downpayment) on the new. State sales tax paid on the used was equal to the sales tax credit for the trade. Buyer was out the registration transfer charge and title charge ($65).

Buyer was happy. (And I must add we got the car back cleaner then it went out ;) )
Dang thats the coolest story ive heard. Wish I had you as a dealer! Its wierd ive waited years for this car to come to production and didnt have a problem. Now that production is looming I cant stand waiting and now am running into the problem of probaly not being able to wait.

Figures dont it? :cuss:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
dori-san said:
Or buy a really cheap used car to get you by, as was said before.
QUOTE]

That can get expensive where I live.
Lets say I find a junker for $500. It would take another $300 to get in on the road. I'd have to saftey it (and hope it passes), pay all the different fees that it takes for registering it and then pay for insurance (I'm not sure if you can buy monthly insurance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts