Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this as a response to a post re: Auto/ Manual. Thought some of you might find the reference to our old sports cars interesting. Hope I don't bore anyone.

When my wife and I got married, over 47 years ago, I was living in France, she's from Kentucky, My only vehicle then was a 1956 red and black Austin Healey LeMans 100M four speed manual. That was in 1957. She picked up the manual immediately and loved it. 1n 1959 we had an AC Bristol with a BMW two liter stage two engine and four speed built for us in England and flown to Paris where we immediately left for races at LeMans. Cost for the all aluminum body AC, 1800 pound car, with race suspension, with transportation to Paris then was $4,200. Paid 2,400 for the Healey. Now she is excited about getting back to a manual in the Solstice to play around with. BTW we rally'ed those cars and she was an outstanding navigator. Also raced etc. in many club events. Next month she'll be 70 and loves anything challenging. For those who do not know. Shelby under license from AC Ltd. brought the AC to the states and created the Cobra. If you only drive in high traffic areas I'd go for auto but...If, like us, you live in a rural area and can spend a lot of time in the NC or other mountains you need the manual just for fun. Deals Gap, where I do a lot of sportbike riding, has 318 curves in 11 miles and is a sportcar and sportbike hangout with many sportcar clubs visiting there. Sorry so long. Started and got to remembering a lot of great times. BTW...Back then the defination of a sportscar was a vehicle you could drive to a competetive event, race, rally etc. then drive it home. Sometimes involving trips of hundreds of miles. On French roads, back then, we often cruised the AC around 120 mph for many, many miles at a time and sometimes going to the Netherlands, Germany and Spain.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts