Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have to sell #339. (White, GXP, Auto)

There's a 50% chance I have to move and buy a house. Reason why I may have to sell the Solstice, is I need 80k for the 20% down on the new house.

I just bought a 2017 GrandSport earlier this summer and I'm not sure if I should sell the vette or the solstice.

The Solstice has 18,000 miles, GM Upgrade kit, tinted windows, and the blue stripe is painted on, not a decal.

Any clue what the going rate for the Coupe would be?

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
You're probably realistically looking at 20 to 25 grand price range but again these things have been all over the place as far as price goes . There is a dealer in Connecticut ,Napoli Classics who seems to have a few coupes for sale at all times and his asking prices start in the 30's and go up from there you might want to try him if you want a quick sale and see what he will offer if that's the way you want to go .Another thing to take into consideration is depending on what part of the country you're in a lot of people are either storing or have stored their cars for the winter so that makes an already small market smaller .I like Corvettes I've owned a few but anymore they are a dime a dozen and the coupe is pretty rare for me that's why I would keep it . Good luck with the sale on either car

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
keep the Sol. The vette is common and the price will drop when they start selling the mid-engine vettes.
Ditto. If the Corvette was a 53 through 72 I'd say keep the vette. Then again, maybe you could advertise both of them at the same time and whichever one sells first you keep the one that didn't. I'd value the coupe around $23-30,000.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. Not 100% sure I have to, it would just make it easier down the road. I agree the Solstice is more rare than the Vette, but the Vette is damn nice too. LOL

Not in love with the Vette, I bought it as a logical decision maker, not a heart one. I sold my 2010 Camaro for the vette... Was looking at the GrandSport and a 5th Gen Viper... I think I should have got the Viper, so I may sell the Vette and pick up a 5th gen down the road.

Still trying to sell my Kit Car I was building too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Keep the GS

If you need 80k you will likely have to sell both. I also have a GS and a coupe. If I had to keep just one it would be the GS. It's a much better car.
The Coupes are not appreciating as I thought they would.
LJ

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, no.. .I have 60k already... don't need to sell both.

Yeah, the Vette is 100 times better than the coupe, as it should be for the price and age difference.

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
And the depreciation on the Vette will be way more than the coupe if you were to hang on to both . I like to keep up with prices on cars that I like a few years ago when the ZR1 Corvette came out they were over a hundred grand not continuing taxes and fees I've seen super low mileage ones lately go in the 60 grand price range you're talking a 50 grand hit and these were supposed to be collector material . Don't know what you paid for the coupe but for the sake of argument let's say 30 grand ( I know dealers were offering big discounts on them when Pontiac was going out of business ) and you get 25 grand today for it that's a 5 grand hit and I do believe the prices will start to level out and should go up . the Vette on the other hand will continue to depreciate especially as Rob pointed out they come out with a mid engine cause the majority of new owners are older males and will want the new best thing to impress all the boys at the country club .

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I may have to sell #339. (White, GXP, Auto)

There's a 50% chance I have to move and buy a house. Reason why I may have to sell the Solstice, is I need 80k for the 20% down on the new house.

I just bought a 2017 GrandSport earlier this summer and I'm not sure if I should sell the vette or the solstice.

The Solstice has 18,000 miles, GM Upgrade kit, tinted windows, and the blue stripe is painted on, not a decal.

Any clue what the going rate for the Coupe would be?
Auto or manual? Where are you located?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And the depreciation on the Vette will be way more than the coupe if you were to hang on to both . I like to keep up with prices on cars that I like a few years ago when the ZR1 Corvette came out they were over a hundred grand not continuing taxes and fees I've seen super low mileage ones lately go in the 60 grand price range you're talking a 50 grand hit and these were supposed to be collector material . Don't know what you paid for the coupe but for the sake of argument let's say 30 grand ( I know dealers were offering big discounts on them when Pontiac was going out of business ) and you get 25 grand today for it that's a 5 grand hit and I do believe the prices will start to level out and should go up . the Vette on the other hand will continue to depreciate especially as Rob pointed out they come out with a mid engine cause the majority of new owners are older males and will want the new best thing to impress all the boys at the country club .
Great thought process. I paid 28k for the Solstice and have about 2k into it.

Auto or manual? Where are you located?

In the comment, you quoted. White, GXP, AUTO

Located north of Pittsburgh, PA

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
The lovers of the coupe that is nothing more than a convertible with a hard top.
The Vette, specially the GS makes not only the coupe but some of the more exotics not that good, when you compare price vs performance of the GS.
The mid engine Vette if it ever comes out will be in the 150K plus territory, maybe even higher since the ZR1 will probably be well north of 120K.
I love my 2007 Solstice GXP, lots of fun to drive and my 2015 Z51 3LT is a different animal that should never be compare with the Solstice.
Sell the coupe while someone may give you the $$ you need in a quick sale.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The Coupes are not appreciating as I thought they would.
LJ
Yeah, I remember the discussions we had back a few years. On the other hand, they have depreciated more slowly than I had feared, so not a bad situation for an owner, as long as one wasn't looking for a payday bonanza when they sold the car.

Compared to the convertibles, the performance has been brilliant. I think that there are a few people like me that just wanted a coupe and wouldn't have bought the open version, but I think for the most part that coupe pricing has just been affected by rarity.

While the coupe seems to sell for $20-30K, what does the equivalent convertible go for? Mid teens?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've came to the conclusion I'll sell the Vette. WHY? Depreciation. The solstice is worth about the same as what I paid for it. The Vette will just drop and drop.

There a chance I'll be able to keep them both, but Selling the Vette will be a smarter thing to do. IMO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts