Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
i did this mod today on a sky usb radio and for anyone that doesn;t want to drill, there is a suitable place in the back of the radio where double sided mounting tape can be used to set the USB board against to keep it from rattling around in there.

·
Registered
405 Posts
From post #1, the orange lights from behind all the select buttons, mine hasn't worked for so long i forgot that it did. I did think it was odd but couldn't remember them ever being lit. So where do I look to fit this problem? I did switch my Solstice dash to a sky dash but I am using the original radio, wishing I had the sky faceplate. I don't recall if the radio lights, other than the display, which works fine, were ever on since the dash exchange, and , like I said, I couldn't remember if they did.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
From post #1, the orange lights from behind all the select buttons, mine hasn't worked for so long i forgot that it did. I did think it was odd but couldn't remember them ever being lit. So where do I look to fit this problem? I did switch my Solstice dash to a sky dash but I am using the original radio, wishing I had the sky faceplate. I don't recall if the radio lights, other than the display, which works fine, were ever on since the dash exchange, and , like I said, I couldn't remember if they did.

You changed your dash and didn't write up a how-to with pics? augghh!:willy:

I've been thinking of doing that for years! How did it go? Can you start a thread with some pics of your car? I soooo want to see it!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Looks like a stock Sky dash except it's in a Solstice, a little boring I'm afraid. But I do like the Sky dash better, it's new from the armrest forward to the front bulkhead. Seats are Solstice, as are door panels. Pretty clean swap but you do have to go that deep and replace the HVAC ducting. Alot of parts, some different switch connectors and some wires need to be made longer. I got as all one piece, an engineering sample, for a good price. I would think it would be quite expensive if you bought all the necessary parts. This was previously posted, i cant remember which thread.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
i experienced this phenomenon when i was isntalling the monsoon parts. the radio would not stay lit up. it would all light up at power up, adn thent eh buttons would go dark but the display would work.

does your display toggle between day and night brightness if you turn auto headlights on and off?

my problem went away when i reconnected all the dash connectors and put the boomerang back on. so i suspect there is a wire that goes from the IP brightness control to the radio that effects the buttons....

so if i had to guess, you didn't get everything connected when you changed dashes?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks Jeff,

Took the lower dash apart, got the radio select buttons to light up, put everything back together and they stopped working. Later, I found the problem, the IP dimmer control had a loose connector pin. Thanks for your input, it gave me the push to look further.

Bill

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Looks like a stock Sky dash except it's in a Solstice, a little boring I'm afraid. But I do like the Sky dash better, it's new from the armrest forward to the front bulkhead. Seats are Solstice, as are door panels. Pretty clean swap but you do have to go that deep and replace the HVAC ducting. Alot of parts, some different switch connectors and some wires need to be made longer. I got as all one piece, an engineering sample, for a good price. I would think it would be quite expensive if you bought all the necessary parts. This was previously posted, i cant remember which thread.
Thank you for the pics. Looks great! I'll try and search out your thread. I had guessed the ducting wouldn't work. Don't know if I will ever tackle it but it is nice to know it can be done. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
TS, what did you use to get the scratch out of the red lens? I have a light scratch in mine. Was thinking of trying Meguiars Clear Plastic Detailer that I used on the plastic rear windows of my MGB. What do you think of that product?

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I don't know that product myself, but it should be fine. Any regular plastic polish should do. I think I used Mother's IIRC.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Another interesting difference... the two Solstice radios (both my original and my used/parts one) both have a cooling fan mounted near the lid. The Sky/USB radio did not and had no connector to plug it in to (otherwise I'd have moved a fan over to the new radio to be safe).
That's weird, why would the Solstice radio have a fan and not the Sky, doesn't make sense :crazy: :confused:

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
WTH ! YOU GOT HEATED SEATS ? I thought these didn't come with them
Aftermarket self-installed. Would recommend this to anyone - lets you drive well into winter with the top down :)

Some info here: Heated seat kit - group buy

DeepBlueGXP did a full install instruction post on kappaperformance.com - maybe linked-to from the above somewhere, else you'll have to search for it.

That's weird, why would the Solstice radio have a fan and not the Sky, doesn't make sense :crazy: :confused:
Nope - not that.

I believe the Monsoon radios (with lower outputs to feed an external amp) do not have fans. It's the Non-Monsoon radios that run their internal amplifiers at much higher power, that DO have fans.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts