Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last November I was engaged in some spirited driving on the way home from visiting relatives, and after a particularly spirited run through the winding rural backroads west of Richmond, my check engine light illuminated and my boost was much reduced. I fretted for a time but eventually noticed, peaking through the grill, that my intercooler appeared to be slightly swollen. I have the GM Stage 2 kit installed and saw maximum sustained pressures of around 21 psi before the failure.

Being somewhat busy but mostly very lazy, my GXP sat for the better part of a year until I decided that I would be more motivated to install an aftermarket intercooler than take the car in for service. I ordered a Hahn intercooler several weeks ago and installed it this weekend. Upon removing my car's fascia I was taken aback at the jacked-up-ed-ness of the stock intercooler, so much so that I am compelled to share.

Interestingly I had previously sustained what I had, until this weekend, assumed to be unrelated damage to my air deflector -- the air deflector tore completely off, though I was able to retrieve it and saved it -- which I assumed to be caused purely by a clearance issue. After seeing the intercooler, it's clear to me that the deflector had been pushed if not directly into the ground then very close to it by the swollen intercooler acting on the plastic shroud under the fascia. I was able to repair and reattach the deflector with some aluminum flashing and pop rivets.

Here is the replacement intercooler:

This may be why I was down on boost:

The Hahn unit is built like a tank. Now my boost is back and my GXP is well again!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah I guess a big hole could do that. Lol. I love your writing style. Keep posting. That Hahn is a sweet piece of kit eh?

GODROD
Solo Dio

·
Registered
272 Posts
in your experience, was the hahn intercooler an easy install?

·
Registered
612 Posts
WOW! That's an incredible picture! I guess I should keep my eye on mine. I'm on my second, that first sprung a leak.... you have a Niagra Falls leak. I agree with Rob, take it back, you have a 5yr, 100k powertrain warranty and clearly the OE IC failed, and it's their mod to boot (GM Stage II), so they can't refuse it based on that. Hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

BTW, is that a 68 MG sitting next to your GXP?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks for your comments. I take a certain conflicted comfort in knowing I'm not alone in my intercooler issue.

The Hahn intercooler installation was not terribly difficult but it was time consuming. I believe I spent around eight hours on it spread out over a Saturday, but a decent portion of that was spent repairing my deflector.

The instructions provided by Hahn, while nicely bound and printed, are not particularly clear. They reference a lot of screws and bolts whose locations are not immediately obvious; I spent most of my time staring at my car from various angles trying to figure out exactly which bits the instruction manual was referring to. I had to loosen (and of course retighten) quite a few bolts to get everything to go back to together, but on the whole removing and reinstalling the front fascia was not as difficult as I had expected.

The tear you see in the intercooler is not the only one, there is another of similar size!

Also, SkyPilot, good eye! That's a '67 B in the garage. Of course it can't touch the GXP for performance, but it has a throttle response and ability to inspire terror that the Solstice will never match.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Hmmm, Mushroomed IC, why does that seem so familiar? :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to trim the diverter that sits behind the intercooler and directs air up to the radiator, oil cooler, etc. in order to make room for the deeper Hahn unit (the procedure is included in the installation instructions). That was the only trimming I had to do.

I have stock charger pipes.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Because it has happened to you so many times that you almost can't count them on 1 hand anymore :lol::lol:
Oh yeah, now I remember. Damn that old man senility thing anyway......

:rofl:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got my Kiwi WiFi and checked out all the codes thrown by my blown intercooler (hopefully).

P2178 - System too rich off idle bank 1
P0101 - MAF "A" circuit range/performance
P050A - Cold start idle air control system performance
P0300/1/2/3/4 - Misfires everywhere!

For the moment I am choosing to believe the replacement intercooler will fix all of these -- based on my extensive experience and expertise gleaned from 10 minutes of Google searches, I think it may. The misfires may have also been old gasoline; it had been sitting for a few months.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
All of those codes are very typical with a blown IC, even the misfire codes.

·
Registered
590 Posts
WOW
I think you win the contest for the worst one.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My car is sitting at the dealer getting its second IC as we speak. Neither of mine looked like they had mushroome at all but instead they developed cracks about 3 inches long.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts