Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey I've been trying to find the milage for the Solstice, and so far have come up dry. Anyone in here know what the car gets to the gallon? (btw did you catch that punn?) :glol

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Not released in prelim specs last year, should be out soon when final specs are released I would assume.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum Long$hot! :D

MCEB is right, as there are no published specs.

However, you can probably take other similar ecotec engines as a guide. The 2.2L Ecotec in the Chevy Cobalt/Saturn Ion is rated at 25 city and 34 highway. The supercharged ecotec in the Cobalt SS/Ion Redline is rated at 23 MPG city, 29 MPG highway. Based on both of those, I would suspect the Solstice’s 2.4L ecotec will be in the same ballpark. Likely mid 20’s city and 30+ highway. I suspect the Solstice will get aggressive gearing, so the mileage may be closer to the supercharged engines 23/29 than the regular ecotecs 25/34. However, both are close anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
We also have to take into account that this new engine is the first ECOTEC with VVT. It's supposed to help add power and get better fuel economy. So in reality we could end up with more power then the 2.2L ECOTEC, but also end up with the same fuel economy.

However the Solstice has things that will probably end up eating into the fuel economy. If it has larger brake discs those will greatly inrease rotational inertia. The much larger 18" stock wheels will as well. And like Fformula88 mentioned, more aggresive gear ratios.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
We also have to take into account that this new engine is the first ECOTEC with VVT. It's supposed to help add power and get better fuel economy. So in reality we could end up with more power then the 2.2L ECOTEC, but also end up with the same fuel economy.

However the Solstice has things that will probably end up eating into the fuel economy. If it has larger brake discs those will greatly inrease rotational inertia. The much larger 18" stock wheels will as well. And like Fformula88 mentioned, more aggresive gear ratios.
I didn't think about the VVT. That should definately help. Maybe the 23/29 figure could be considered a worse-case scenario, and hopefully it will be better. I'll buy regardless of the economy, but the better it is the nicer it will be!

Whatever it is, its going to seem really cheap to fill compared to the 15 MPG my Jeep gets, or the 20 I get on my Fiero!

·
Registered
161 Posts
brentil said:
<snip>... However the Solstice has things that will probably end up eating into the fuel economy. If it has larger brake discs those will greatly inrease rotational inertia. The much larger 18" stock wheels will as well. And like Fformula88 mentioned, more aggresive gear ratios.
I wonder how much of a 'hit' the fuel economy takes by having the top down on a convertible? I imagine the Solstice will spend more time with the top down than up.

Of course, those will be more enjoyable miles, even if they are slightly more expensive... :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lets not forget the roadster should be a bit lighter than a Saturn sedan and hopefully a bit more areodynamic. These issues should help offset the higher gearing and help fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Kbene said:
Lets not forget the roadster should be a bit lighter than a Saturn sedan and hopefully a bit more areodynamic. These issues should help offset the higher gearing and help fuel economy.
Unfortunately we're not that lucky :(

The ION RL has a curb weight of 2,590 lbs. which is about 200 lbs lighter then we've been told the Solstice will be.

However the ION Quad Coupe 3 does weigh 2,769 lbs putting it much closer to the supposed Solstice weight.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Hold a sec! Where did you get a curb weight of 2590 for the Ion Redline? Saturn lists the Ion Redline curb weight as 2933!! Non redline versions of the Quad Coupe range from 2,784 to 2871.

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/featurespricing/index.jsp?nav=210&cat=Spe

The Solstice probably won't have the best aerodynamics. Top down motoring does hurt aerodynamics, but the notchback styling of the convertable top (if it is in fact a notchback style with the buttresses and verticle window) will also hurt fuel economy a litlte. However, I think even so we are not talking a dramatic impact. Maybe 1 MPG from what it could be for a fastback coupe of a similar size/weight car.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I got them fropm cars.com, which is usually fairly reliable. But I'm not going to argue with what Saturn.com has on their website.

That makes me feel better, was wondering why the ION RL was weighing so much less then the Solstice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
as others have stated it is hard to guess at the milage since the 2.4 is not available in anything yet, but I would guess that combined milage should be in the mid to high twenties

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
I got them fropm cars.com, which is usually fairly reliable. But I'm not going to argue with what Saturn.com has on their website.

That makes me feel better, was wondering why the ION RL was weighing so much less then the Solstice.

That is strange. I wonder where they got that low figure from. I did a quick google search and a couple magazine reviews that came up also listed the curb weight over 2900 lbs.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
That is strange. I wonder where they got that low figure from. I did a quick google search and a couple magazine reviews that came up also listed the curb weight over 2900 lbs.
I have no clue, because they got the Cobalt and Cobalt SS weights correct. Usually they're a great source for information, guess I just hit one of the oddball typos.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I do not think ,top up or down will make much of a difference with mileage because the speed on a nice windy road will not that great. It not like you are getting this car to go on a drag strip

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
airbalancer said:
I do not think ,top up or down will make much of a difference with mileage because the speed on a nice windy road will not that great. It not like you are getting this car to go on a drag strip
Aerodynamics do have an impact even at legal speeds. Not a highly significant impact, but it does have an effect. Your certainly not going to see a multiple MPG difference at street legal speeds, but if you kept track you may see a noticeable difference.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Top up/down makes a noticeable difference. Windows open/closed on the highway make a really noticeable difference in a sedan - to the point of running with windows up but AC on can get you an extra MPG over running with the windows open.

Lots of discussion back in october here:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497&p=7466

My guess is around 22/27, based on reasoning in the provided thread.

Cd, Frontal area have the largest effect on highway mileage. They still come into play with city driving, but can be reduced in percent effect by things like rotational inertia, vehicle mass, etc. at lower speeds and aggressive driving.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My son is in areospace engineering, hopefully is last year.
It would be nice to send him some models to put into the wind tunnel. So they could check this out

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
airbalancer said:
My son is in areospace engineering, hopefully is last year.
It would be nice to send him some models to put into the wind tunnel. So they could check this out
That would be awesome to do! If only I had a true model to send over for the test!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts