Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have officially owned my 2007 Solstice GXP for over 5yrs, so that marks the longest that I have ever owned the same automobile. I usually hold on to a ride for 3yrs and then get the itch for something new, but not with this car. I have no plans to trade it in. I still love it after 5yrs & I'll still be loving it in 5+ years from now. I went through hell to get this car back in '07. There was SO much price gouging on these things back then. One dealership I went to got so far as the finance managers office where I was just getting ready to sign on the dotted line for an Envious GXP when they sprung the old "I have good news & bad news for you". I told them give me the bad news 1st. Sales guy said, "We forgot to add the Fair Market Adjustment to this car, which is $3000 above the sticker price." Then I asked for the 'good news' and he said, "Well you're getting one hot car!!" SERIOUSLY!?! I pretty much blew a head gasket right then and there. Needless to say I said my peace & left... VERY ANGRY!!! I was about to give up, but decided to do a search on my computer for GXP's in the local area. A dealer about 10miles away had 2 of them: 1 Cool & 1 Sly. I drove down there, still with a major 'tude, and looked @ them. As soon as I got there a saleman came out. I expressed my dislike for the tactics that were pulled on my @ the other place, and he brought me inside to speak w/the dealership's GM. I told him my story and he told me to take the car (The Cool b/c the Sly was out for a test drive already) for a test drive. He said take it for a few hours. It only took me about 5mins to fall in love w/the car, but I didn't have my hopes up very high. I came back a while later and he told me that he was sorry for what the other dealership did to me, but if I wanted this car he'll take $1,200 off the sticker price. Needless to say I was all over it... and I've been smiling ever since!! Anyone else out there have a story about the day they picked up their Sol or the adventures they went through to get one?? Thanks for listening! ;)

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Woohoo!!!

I actually bought mine from a dealer that my mom pretty much blacklisted from family and friends due to how they treated our company discount and trade in a while back. BUT, I had no choice. It was 2009 and my Solstice was the literally the only one left in the city that had the options I wanted. Fortunately, I got the car with minimal salesman drama. :) And like you, I've been smiling ever since. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I got mine in September of 2007 brand new. Only problem was I could not drive a standard. My wife drove it off the lot while I paid for it. She did not come back for over an hour ?!?? After about a half hour the salesmen told me that I had paid for it so I own it. He said "do you think she will come back?" I said "I hope so". She did after cruising around. She drove me home in my "mean manual GXP" ..... Took me a little while but I learned to drive a standard and I love it!!!!:thumbs: With all the mods I have done I am enjoying it even more five years later!!!!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
My story... I had always wanted a Solstice, and when the 09 coupes came out and I first saw one at a dealer, it was all over. However I had been laid off two years earlier, and was in the middle of a bankruptcy so there was no way it was happening.

Fast forward to March of this year. A friend of mine came down and was talking about this "really cool car" he had found on the internet. Yes, you guessed it, an 09 coupe with 14K miles for only $15K. GXP, manual, yellow. Well, that one turned out to be a scam, however it got me to looking around for one. One day later an Aggressive Red GXP Coupe came up at CarMax for only $19K (21K miles) down in Texas. I applied for a car loan fully expecting it to be turned down, but to my suprise it was approved! One quick transfer payment to CarMax, and a week and a half later, I finally received my most favorite car. It has been perma-grin meeting at the back of my head ever since.

Now I am slowly ploting the list of mods to do to her starting this winter...

·
Registered
204 Posts
So I had a 350z coupe that I had to sell in order to have the funds to buy a house back in Sept. of last year. I was really upset because that was my baby for like 5 years. After we got the house i bought a 1989 toyota camry beater "Yuck!" just to get by.

So about 7 months later I decided I would go out and test drive a local solstice and after that a 350z roadster just for ****s and giggles. I go to test drive the solstice first and I was sold as soon as i Looked at it up close! I wasnt even planning on buying the solstice but I just couldnt resist. It looked so good and felt so tight on the road. It was also very clean and in great condition, almost new like. I never made it to the 350z because I purchased the Solstice that same day on the spot. lol

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great stories guys... congrats! The fun factor doesn't wear off 5yrs later so keep on enjoying!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
So I had a 350z coupe that I had to sell in order to have the funds to buy a house back in Sept. of last year. I was really upset because that was my baby for like 5 years. After we got the house i bought a 1989 toyota camry beater "Yuck!" just to get by.

So about 7 months later I decided I would go out and test drive a local solstice and after that a 350z roadster just for ****s and giggles. I go to test drive the solstice first and I was sold as soon as i Looked at it up close! I wasnt even planning on buying the solstice but I just couldnt resist. It looked so good and felt so tight on the road. It was also very clean and in great condition, almost new like. I never made it to the 350z because I purchased the Solstice that same day on the spot. lol
That's awesome. I've never driven a 350Z personally. I'm sure they are good cars, but I have never liked the way the roadsters look with the top down. The Solstice is such a sexy car with it's top down. The only other car I can think of that looks as good is a 60's Stingray.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My Solstice Experience

I drove over to my local Pontiac dealer with my heart set on a Black GXP. The salesman came out and (judging by his reaction) was put off by my bleached hair and backwords hat. I told him I was in the market for a Solstice GXP and I'd like to drive one. He him-hawwed, muttered some things, and then went and got the keys. He then said, "You can take it around the block once, but bring it right back here"

Needless to say, I thanked him for his time and politely drove off. I drove straight to my local Saturn dealer and the salesman came out and greeted me politely. I told him I was now in the market for a Sky Redline and I'd like to drive one. He walked in, grabbed the keys thew them into my hand and says, "Go have a good time, take as long as you need to fall in love with her" And then he gave me a wave as I drove off in it. I drove it for about 30 mins or so, fell in love, and you can read in my signature the result of that test drive.

Aesop Fable time:

Never judge a book by its cover

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many sales-people lost my business, when I was younger, because they chose to make snap judgements based on age/appearance. Tsk tsk tsk! ;)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yeah, I got the looks judgment… “They are a little expensive” I was told and my reply “I know” didn’t impress him. The receptionist told Alice that another dealer actually had one that we could look at so off we went. There was a Pure NA sitting in their showroom. I was told it was already sold so I couldn’t take it for a test drive but just sitting in it almost had me convinced.

I knew the GXP was coming so I went to the second dealers web site and registered for a test drive for the NA. It wasn’t until September 06 that I got an phone call telling me they had one I could take out, the first one they had that hadn’t been pre-sold. I didn’t think to tie my hair back so there I was on the expressway, hair blowing into my eyes , beard up in my face and the salesman laughing with his knees jammed into the dash (he was over 6 feet and hadn‘t put the seat back).

We got back to the dealership and I ordered a GXP. In Canada you couldn’t get the red stitching with Mean so the only option I ordered was AC. Come April I got the call that my car was in. I went in and drove it around the parking lot, it still had the shipping tape on it, took the manual home and read it cover to cover. I got to drive it twice before they salted the roads again and I parked it for three weeks. Since then it’s been miles of smiles.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Had to wait for mine to be built. I ordered the Bandit in March of 06 and took delivery around Memorial Day. Still in love, lots of aftermarket work done. I was told I would have to pay 5K over MSRP at two dealers before I could find one that would order one for me at MSRP. First car I ever paid MSRP for. The only car I have kept this long. Most likely would be buried in it someday.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I wasn’t sure what car I wanted for retirement (5 years away), so I thought the best thing to do would be to try some out instead of buying and making a mistake. I went online to Leasebusters figuring, get a short term (1 yr) left on a lease to see if I like the car. My plan was drastic in the aspect of I was going from a RAM 1500, 4x4, Quadcab to what I thought I would want… a fun to run convertible. I started out looking at Mustang GT500s and others while wishing that Chrysler had made the new Challenger in a ragtop. I came across some Solstices and one Sky that intrigued me. Talk about going from one extreme to the other…monster truck to 2 seat roadster! But it fit my plan, try it for a year, can always turn it in and start again with something bigger like a Stang.

I looked into the 2008 Sky and the current driver had to get rid of it to purchase an SUV for his business. He was upset to be letting it go after owning Mustangs, Corvettes and Bimmers, this was the car he loved the best. Now, the interesting part…I told him there was no way I would pay two lease payments and this was March with my truck lease running to the end of July. He drove it the 2 ½ hrs to my city, with his wife in the other car…on the chance I would say yes. Well I loved it when I saw it in its majestic Midnight Blue. I reminded him of my problem with two leases….he wrote out a cheque for 5 months lease payments AND the $950 for transfer fees to the dealership….so there I was with my new Sky!
We have always loved it from day one, but the clincher to keep it was going on our first run. We found SSOOO on Facebook and participated in the Fall Colours Run to Kingston. The people we met cemented our Sky into our lives forever and when we heard about NASSM we were in without hesitation. :grouphug:

We will never look back..... only at the Sky! :yesnod:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts