Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned 2 Fiat Spiders and enjoyed driving them on twisties; I've never taken them to a track or felt the desire to max them out, performance-wise. Just loved the top down vibe. I kind of knew not to take them more than 50-75 miles from home just in case.... Fell in love 2 years ago with the Sol and can't wait to get it, probably by 9/16 if all goes right. The thing is, I've started being aware that perhaps 177 hp for this car may not feel like enough. Coming from me, someone who never really cared about this power issue, seems odd. Am I falling prey to the hype of possibilities? That said, here is my question; If I were to consider performance enhancing mods which are the least cost/ most bang for the $, and is there a HP # that anyone could state is "enough" that would make the general public say "GM should have made that the base HP" ? I know different folks like different amounts of speed and power but for the general enthusiast does the # I am asking for exist for a car of this weight and size? I'll open the bidding at 195 hp. How do I get there without major engine mods?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,686 Posts
A couple of grand should get you over 200 HP by buying a Cobalt supercharger system.

And you can always juice it
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
If you drove 2 fiat spyders, you should be more than happy with the base Sol power.

I grew up with a fiat spyder, and 2 MGBs. Now I have the 178hp MSM. Granted, the MSM is ~300-400lbs less than a Sol, I think the Sol is going to be a pretty fast car (relative to each person of course). The MSM has enough power for me to get a ticket everytime I go out, but not so much I can wreck it everytime I get a little crazy.

2 cents I'll never get back :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Critterman said:
A couple of grand should get you over 200 HP by buying a Cobalt supercharger system.

And you can always juice it
I was told by Magnuson today that due to the VVT changing the compression/stroke, it will be impossible to properly run an aftermarket supercharger or turbocharger. Hello juice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
solstice1 said:
I was told by Magnuson today that due to the VVT changing the compression/stroke, it will be impossible to properly run an aftermarket supercharger or turbocharger. Hello juice!
I'm no guru, so if this is wrong, educate me....

Impossible, no. Adds complexity, yes. If the timing setup of the cams is tuned along with the FI, I think you're fine. That said, being able to control the cam timing the same way GM could may not be a simple task for an aftermarket FI provider. Of course I can't find the link, but I seem to remember reading that some tuners will simply disable VVT and boost/tune the engine that way. I'm interested to see if others have thoughts on the matter...
:lurk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
GO DOWNHILL! Always much faster!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,729 Posts
...or

deepdawg said:
GO DOWNHILL! Always much faster!
hitch onto the back of a porsche. preferably one of the new 500hp(?) ones.
:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Doesn't make sense to me. Jackson Racing's been making an aftermarket superchargers for Miata's and Honda's for years and both those have VVT more extreme than GM's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
i think you should drive it for a while first before you decide that more power is what you want. a couple of my "most fun to drive' cars have power/weight ratios very close to the stock solstice. with the tourque curve of the VVT Ecotec, you may be quite pleased with the power already there.
another reason to wait is that in 2007 or so- GM will introduce the forced induction version (probably turbo) solstice, and you will be able to buy a crate version of the high output motor. it will drop right in, and you will still have the original motor ( with original matching numbers) in case the car becomes a collectable in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't mean to sound as if I will be unsatisfied with the Sol as powered. I guess what I wanted to determine was the HP level that people, in general, think would have satisfied a majority of owners. I only ask this because in my time perusing the posts here I sense a very slight dissatisfaction with 177 horses. Perhaps that is more owing to the enthusiasts on this site being more knowledgeable and more willing to modify their ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
mobboss said:
I didn't mean to sound as if I will be unsatisfied with the Sol as powered. I guess what I wanted to determine was the HP level that people, in general, think would have satisfied a majority of owners. I only ask this because in my time perusing the posts here I sense a very slight dissatisfaction with 177 horses. Perhaps that is more owing to the enthusiasts on this site being more knowledgeable and more willing to modify their ride.
I think you've got it right with this comment. Most of the people on this forum don't think the same way as "a majority of owners." GM probably put a decent amount of thought and research into the decision to give the Solstice the 177hp it has. So GM at least thinks that 177hp will satisfy "a majority of owners."

I say wait until your car is delivered. There's a good chance that you'll like the ride as is. For myself, I usually fall smack in the middle of average :lol: , and I think I'm going to be fine with the 177hp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
I don't have the need or overwhelming desire for the Turbo. I never have. A lot of people here obviously do, but it's never crossed my mind that "I want the Turbo."

177 is cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
I can certainly appreciate the wanting of more speed...however, I don't feel comfortable with American cars and turbo chargers. Superchargers they have a good history with, especially GM! Just not comfortable for me. However, the Mallett conversion certainly would be nice if it wasnt $18k ! 400 hp V8 ...WOOHOO!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
Anybody else think a 400hp V-8 would rip the car to shreds? (okay, not really, because it's a tough little body) but hell, 400hp in a 2800lb. production car... your tires would always spin! They'd never grip asphalt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
Chris said:
I'm no guru, so if this is wrong, educate me....

Impossible, no. Adds complexity, yes. If the timing setup of the cams is tuned along with the FI, I think you're fine. That said, being able to control the cam timing the same way GM could may not be a simple task for an aftermarket FI provider. Of course I can't find the link, but I seem to remember reading that some tuners will simply disable VVT and boost/tune the engine that way. I'm interested to see if others have thoughts on the matter...
:lurk:
VVT doesn't stop the VTEC Hondas from slapping a turbo and supercharger on every engine in sight 1.6-1.8-2.0-2.2 liter VTECs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
dengel said:
I think you've got it right with this comment. Most of the people on this forum don't think the same way as "a majority of owners." GM probably put a decent amount of thought and research into the decision to give the Solstice the 177hp it has. So GM at least thinks that 177hp will satisfy "a majority of owners."

I say wait until your car is delivered. There's a good chance that you'll like the ride as is. For myself, I usually fall smack in the middle of average :lol: , and I think I'm going to be fine with the 177hp.
Whose actually DYNO'd their SOL's, I bet GM underrated it like the NEON SRT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
deepdawg said:
I can certainly appreciate the wanting of more speed...however, I don't feel comfortable with American cars and turbo chargers. Superchargers they have a good history with, especially GM! Just not comfortable for me. However, the Mallett conversion certainly would be nice if it wasnt $18k ! 400 hp V8 ...WOOHOO!
3 words...

BUICK GRAND NATIONAL

This is 2005, I think GM has figured out the Turbo by now....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,686 Posts
Fortimir said:
Anybody else think a 400hp V-8 would rip the car to shreds? (okay, not really, because it's a tough little body) but hell, 400hp in a 2800lb. production car... your tires would always spin! They'd never grip asphalt.
It's all in the way you release the clutch.

Besides Sunbeam had V8's in the Alpine in the 60's. You got used to putting it up on a rack, taking the tires and inner wheel wells out to change plugs :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
I'd suggest driving the Sol first. Things have changed since they built the Fiats! That 177hp is set in a whole different framework of a vehicle, and you'll like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
No mods + forever = lower maintenance while you live + higher resale when you die.
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top