Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into snow tires and am have some trouble getting answers regarding another set of rims and tire in 16 or 17". my thoughts are that i want some simple steel rims and tires to keep my wheels nice and shiny. i have been told that a minus size will be a good choice for both price and depth of snow. Any suggestions?

Wes

·
Administrator
9,254 Posts
I have 18 Bizzaks and have no trouble in the snow - I use a second set of polished stock wheels.

I do know someone that uses 15 with Blizzaks as well..

·
Super Moderator
16,547 Posts
Narrower tires can give you more pounds per square inch and better penetration of snow. I have seen recommendations to go with one size smaller for snow tires for this reason.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I run some cheap 17 inch rims and 225 width Blizzacks (new school style snow tires), complete with tire sensors; on all four wheels. Before the Bs, I ran Firestone Avalanche (old school knobby style snow tires) for three seasons.

From my experience: I feel the Firestones actually dug in a little better (I could throw twin rooster tails for a good 20 feet, if I wanted to. :lol:). But the Bs are a much better all around tire. They behave and perform more like a regular tire, but still provide very adequate traction in the snow and ice.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I run 235/50/17 Pirelli Sotto Zeroes and they work great. I don't see the need to go with heavy steel rims unless the roads are really abusive in the winter where you live. Lots of good, cheap alloys out there. Ì got mine as a package deal with the tires.

By the way, the only rims I ever damaged hitting potholes were steel!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts