Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first saw this problem at MD mod meet 6 where DBG pointed out at least one owner's roof worn through contact with the trunk liner. The problem occurs at the rear fold where the sides of the roof crease out and the points of the creases rub against the side walls of the trunk liner. If you raise and lower your roof enough times this wear issue will happen to you!

Going to MMM7 last week reminded me that I was going to do something about it, hence this mod. Basically all it is is the addition of a drilled hole and a push pin on each side to cinch the carpet liner back tight against the trunk wall, away from the roof crease point. Takes maybe 10mins a side if you do it slow.

Even if you don't believe you will get this wear problem, I found that the mod (surprisingly) allows the roof to close down far more easily now, requiring little or no pushing down before closing the trunk.

Instructions and photos on the kappaperf forum ... click here

·
Registered
523 Posts
Can't see it, it says:
" [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] "

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
There is some discussion on the other forum that some people have this wear/touch issue, while others don't. I wanted to point out (again) that although mine barely touched at the creases, it still needed a solid push on the hoops to go all the way down... and yet, after doing the mod, the roof just drops into place.

I think the reason for this easier closing is that with the liner pulled back against the walls, it is removing resistance to the roof in places lower down the walls, closer to the floor, that you can't normally see with the roof down. Thus, this is a good mod to do, even if you believe yours is not subject to the wear issue.

I hope that everyone can see the other post with photos. Otherwise, if there's enough demand, I guess I can post the photos on P.Bucket and list them here.

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
Great post soup I will help you out.

Here is the original post

I first saw this problem at MD mod meet 6 where DBG pointed out at least one owner's roof worn through contact with the trunk liner. The problem occurs at the rear fold where the sides of the roof crease out and the points of the creases rub against the side walls of the trunk liner. If you raise and lower your roof enough times this wear issue will happen to you!

Going to MMM7 last week reminded me that I was going to do something about it, hence this mod. Basically all it is is the addition of a drilled hole and a push pin on each side to cinch the carpet liner back tight against the trunk wall, away from the roof crease point. Takes maybe 10mins a side if you do it slow.

Even if you don't believe you will get this wear problem, I found that the mod (surprisingly) allows the roof to close down far more easily now, requiring little or no pushing down before closing the trunk.

OK, so this photo shows the wear point (passenger side) that I'm talking about...

[/IMG]

First put a strip of masking tape where the roof crease is, marking the point where it touches the liner. Then press against the liner with your finger and find a place about an inch back from the crease point where the carpet liner is most easily pushed back to the inner wall. Mark with an "X" (Note: I found this was not at exactly the same point on each side of the trunk due to differences in the liner shape.)

[/IMG]

Now, using an awl or other sharp pointed instrument, make a hole in the carpet at the X and while pushing the carpet back against the wall, scribe a mark in the inner plastic with the point, where you'll need to drill.

[/IMG]

Pull the liner out and away and carefully drill a hole in the trunk wall. DO NOT go too far or you might hit something behind. Smile You'll also need to enlarge the hole in the carpet.... I did mine by melting a larger hole with a propane-torch-heated philips screwdriver.

[/IMG]

Now put the liner back in place, push against the wall, lining up the inner and outer holes, and insert your clip. You could use a regular "christmas-tree" panel pin, but I preferred the expanding type with the screw-in center post. It's a firmer lock, and yet is easily removable if you need to get back in there or ever get the liner out.

[/IMG]

Here's the pin in place, carpet cinched back:

[/IMG]

Rinse, repeat, for the other side...

[/IMG]

... and the end result, showing the clearance...

[/IMG]

EDIT: For people asking about clips/pins, this is what I used. Got mine from Pep Boys ($2), but seen them (or similar) at Advanced Auto and similar stores. These ones take a 1/4" drill bit for the holes...

[/IMG]

Good luck!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
THANK YOU! Wll be doing it this weekend!

Wonder what other basic mods I will need to fab?

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Hoosier, for saving me the effort! Appreciate it :)

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bump...

After more time with this mod under my belt, the way the top drops down so easily is becoming an even better reason to do this than the intended wear-protection reason.

Recommended for that reason alone!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Must be a Solstice specific tendency as my Sky clears fine.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Must be a Solstice specific tendency as my Sky clears fine.
I think it's a car-car variation. I've heard of some Sky owners with the issue (and some Solstices without it).

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
They fixed the problem in the '09 by putting a piece of very slick tape on both sides of the liner where it rubs. Seems to work fine with my Sol.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I wonder if cutting some X slits in the liner and using epoxy to pull the liner back and adhere it the plastic would work as well, just a thought.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wonder if cutting some X slits in the liner and using epoxy to pull the liner back and adhere it the plastic would work as well, just a thought.
Argh! Why would you do that?! That would permanently bond the liner to the trunk (making it difficult to remove to repair anything behind the liner). Plus it would look ugly. Nah.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Thanks TomatoSoup.....I checked and I have the same problem....had not noticed it. Used you fix....worked GREAT....Thanks Again....:thumbs:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for re-posting the link.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts