Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an interesting article on the advancements made on 4 cylinder engines, and the advantages and disadvantages to these new higher power modern 4’s compared to V6 engines. One of the highlighted engines is the ecotec, although only the 2.2L. (Article is from 2002).

Since we have had such a passionate engine debate, I thought people from both sides might find this an interesting read:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/gw/4cylinder.htm

·
Registered
391 Posts
just keep in mind that ALL the stuff done to make the I4 better can and is done on the V6's to stay ahead of the game ;)
BTW I did not know Nissan uses two separate cooling systems for the head and block on the 2.5 I4? That is a realy cool idea :cool: As long as the added complexity does not hamper reliability and or performance in the long run?

·
Premium Member
10,364 Posts
Thats a good read Ff88, thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
All alum engs have come a long way since the Cosworth Vega days although it was only partial. Still interesting to me since I deal with small to med displ diesels all day long are what I see as old technology in even modern engine design. That's the belt drive for timing and accesories.

1. Diesels, although not OHC use timing gears only, no chains. Why can't we develop car engines even with SOHC or DOHC that utilize gears instead of sprockets? Because we can engineer failure dates and continued a. repairs for the shops, b. new car sales.

2. Gear drive water pumps are now showing up in off-road diesels. Simple enough if we use 1 above.

3. Gear driven PS pumps. Perkins engines in Massey-Fergurson had this before 1960.

4. Electric cooling fans are already in wide use in cars we just need to get the same in other engines where compactness is required.

5. Gear driven alternators should not be any farther behind.

What now do we need belts for? Still for AC compressor and supercharger but could be done with 1 belt instead of 2. Both of these items can be moved around the engine compartment to different locations and are already. AC comps are not always on top of engine like they used to be. By the way some of the gear drive accessories I outlined could run from the flywheel instead of the timing gears.

·
Registered
21 Posts
"just keep in mind that ALL the stuff done to make the I4 better can and is done on the V6's to stay ahead of the game"

All that stuff costs. My VQ is worth some $8000, but a no-tech 3800 delivers more torque and just as much power while sucking less gas ( regular even, rather than premium ), running smoother and quieter ( VQ is unbalanced: straight crank throws, no countershafts, no harmonic dampener, no flywheel counterweight. VQ's triple chains and flat tappet mechanical lifters rattle, and all that aluminum resonates. ), and delivered to your door in a crate it costs $3000.

A high-tech 4 is not economic.

PS:
Don't get me wrong, I love the VQ. It isn't for everyone, though, and doesn't necessarily belong in Nissan's minivans, pickups, 'utes, grandma cars, sportsters, etc. GM may have the right idea in offering the choice of a 3600 or 3800 in the LaCrosse.

And that triple oiling circuit / dual cooling circuit has been around since '95. Pretty cool, huh?

·
Registered
527 Posts
It's a good article about the improvements in 4 cylinder engines.

But it's a bad comparison to 6 cylinder engines.

For example, they mention balance shafts. All (four stroke) 4 cylinders and 90 degree v6 engines suffer from harmonic vibration problems, hence the use of balance shafts to make them run smooth. 60 degree V6 engines and 90 degree v8 engines don't suffer from these problems, hence smoother operation without the need for balance shafts. Less moving parts to raise the price or wear out.

·
5,600 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Here is an interesting article
Great post! :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts