Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't know if that would be a straight bolt-up. I would love to get one of the new 8,9 or 10 speed autos that GM has put behind some of their other turbo 4 installs (Caddy, Chevy and Buick). Their internals are much superior to what I've had done.

Now to try and find a 3.90 posi pig to replace my 3.73 open.

Does anyone know if this would be doable with the LNF engine?

Randy

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I used to race an MGA back in the 60's. The original 4 was getting long in the tooth and I was talking about a rebuild. A friend said to check with Mobile Oil testing in the Harbor (I'm in Indiana) as they sometimes have test engines for sale and I might pick one up for a song. Well, I don't know how we made contact but they said they had an MG 4 that only had 500 hours of testing on it that they would sell for 500.00. I picked it up in a crate and got it home. When I opened the crate I about fell over. It was a full Riley Race Engine with a transmission box that had the tail shaft cut off. Here I had a motor with twin webers and possible gears in case the transmission crapped out. When we opened the side panel on the transmission it had syncros on all 4 gears. That was the best 500.00 I ever spent.

Randy

·
Premium Member
10,305 Posts
Could be wrong but I thought the 2006 with the 5 speed was a 3:91 rear, I do not know if the 2007 also has it.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,234 Posts
Could be wrong but I thought the 2006 with the 5 speed was a 3:91 rear, I do not know if the 2007 also has it.
All years, All 2.4 base engines had the 3.91 differential.

All years, all turbo 2.0 have the 3.73 differential.

Easy? Right?

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Well, Performance AutoWerks is now performing the same modifications to the 5L40 auto that BMW does for their racing engines. It's also much cheaper (around 4000).

I just got word that my heads and manifolds are on their way back from Indy. They have finished the port matching and have also done some chamber work and inlet and exhaust runner work. They say I should have a 20% flow increase using standard valves and the cam I have selected. Once they get back a 5 angle valve job will be done and the exhaust manifold will be shipped off to be ceramic coated. The intake will be modified to accept Performance AutoWerks 5th injector which should clear up coking of the the intakes. I've also found a reliable supply of 100 octane gas without having to use E85.

Randy

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I used to race an MGA back in the 60's. The original 4 was getting long in the tooth and I was talking about a rebuild. A friend said to check with Mobile Oil testing in the Harbor (I'm in Indiana) as they sometimes have test engines for sale and I might pick one up for a song. Well, I don't know how we made contact but they said they had an MG 4 that only had 500 hours of testing on it that they would sell for 500.00. I picked it up in a crate and got it home. When I opened the crate I about fell over. It was a full Riley Race Engine with a transmission box that had the tail shaft cut off. Here I had a motor with twin webers and possible gears in case the transmission crapped out. When we opened the side panel on the transmission it had syncros on all 4 gears. That was the best 500.00 I ever spent.

Randy
Assume the box was out of a 1967 or later MGB - takes up a bit more space in the tunnel, but some people like all synchro.

I always ran a non synch first gear trans with a set of close ratio gears in my race MGA.

You sure got a bargain on the engine with Weber - or did you really mean Webers plural - the MG head only had two siamesed intake ports so mostly used a single 40 or 45 DCOE. The only way you could run more than one was to fit am HRG Derrington crossflow head with 4 intake ports. Or do you mean two SUs rather than Webers?

The Riley 1.5 engines were identical to the MGA 1500 engines except for the cam profile used and a fe fitting details.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Weber singular sorry sometimes my fingers do things differently than what my brain tells them to.

Randy

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
No problem - I see quite few people that call a single sidedraft Weber a 'pair' of Webers, so always check. Even so you got a good deal - did the engine last well for you when you ran it?

My race car runs the Twin Cam engine so the costs and parts availability are much higher and lower, respectively (it does a run a pair of 45 DCOEs).

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update, so far the only thing to report on is that the BigWheel turbo should be back at the shop next Monday. I am still waiting to hear about when the head and manifolds will be returned from Indy Heads so the valve job can be done and the exhaust manifold sent off to be ceramic coated. I am losing so much cruising time and good weather.

Randy

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hit a snag today while preparing to install the lash adjusters and cams. One of the lash adjusters was severely pitted. As the cams I'm running aren't stock the adjusters are longer than normal. Contacting the vendor it took a while to locate my order as it had been done by phone and not through their site. Once I located the packing slip in my stack of papers to be filed, they were very responsive and are shipping a replacement ASAP.

Well I'm not going to make the power tour this year.

Randy

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I have been notified everything is at the garage and we can get started. Unfortunately, the fella who is helping me (I can't lift anything heavy by Doctor's orders) has to leave soon for hernia surgery. So I don't know how much we will get done over the next week before he leaves. I will send pictures and also the spreadsheet of the before and after porting. I can tell you the port matching looks great as well as the porting. I can tell you the fella who did the porting said my starting flow rate was better than any LFN that he has ever worked on.

Randy

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Here are pictures of the 3 gasket types used for the Turbo to CAT interface. The first is the original flat gasket with 2 steel outer surfaces and a compressible high temperature material between them. This failed on my car with a blowout from the inner circle to the outside edge. In addition all 4 bolt holes had failed and separated. The second is what is now being sold by GM as a replacement. GM Performance parts has designed this part. It is a circle made up of an inner and outer ring of steel (looks like this }{) with a graphite material in-between the steel. Major problem is there is no groove in either the turbo or CAT to set the ring in so you have to rely on a high temp silicone to hold it in place while you are try to align the parts and bolt them together, hoping that the ring doesn't shift on you. The last is what I am going to use. It is a 1/8" hardened copper gasket.

Randy

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Too bad you can't get a very slightly thicker gasket so you could machine a very shallow guide groove in the turbo or the manifold (not both) but I'd be afraid of reducing sealing ability if you did it with the stock gasket as it might lose a tiny bit of clamping pressure.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Here are some pictures of the porting job on the intake and exhaust manifolds as well as the head. The fella helping me is in the hospital having surgery and I don't have the flow rates to post yet. However the person who had did the porting has stated that the head had flowed about 10% better than any other Ecotec head he had ever started with. Sorry for the poor quality as I had to use my phone. I forgot to charge my camera and forgot the power brick when I went out to take the pictures as we were putting things together.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I have a Pwerks catless down pipe and have NO gasket between the turbo and the downpipe.

2 machined surfaces should seal against each other

21 - 40 of 89 Posts