Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I have a Pwerks catless down pipe and have NO gasket between the turbo and the downpipe.

2 machined surfaces should seal against each other
That procedure SHOULD generally work, but some flanges will inevitably warp and result in leaks that could probably have been avoided by the slight margin of flexibility that a gasket gives you.

Believe it or not, back in the old days some of the MG racers used to run their T series engines with no head gaskets. They'd 'dry deck' the engines by plugging all passages from the head to the block and replacing them via external connections and the would lap the head to the blocks (for hours!) using valve grinding paste. Sounds a bit crazy, but it actually worked. Some of them still had the heads lift though, so the carefuk guys used a solid copper head gasket too.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Pwerks sells a copper gasket for the down pipe if I’m not mistaken

Wow no head gasket
That would be crazy

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Yes, the Copper Gasket I sent a picture of is from PWerks. Friend got back from surgery on Friday and still is in a lot of pain. He is going to try and meet me at the shop today and discuss when we will be starting work again.

The circle gasket is supposedly the same one that Cadillac is using on their twin turbo V6 racing coupes so it should work. They found that the flat gasket ones would burn out during a race and the circle ones would stand up through a lot more abuse.

Randy

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well, the car is running. Haven't really tried to push it yet as I want to get PWerks to get a good tune. Had a few issues several of which turned out to be a pinched wire which was easily corrected. Was unable to install the new High Pressure pump due to defects in the manufacturing (leaks) so I have to send it back and get a replacement. The PWerks intercooler is not a true drop in fit for DeJon charge tubes. Got to figure out what to do about keeping a good seal on the silicone throttle body hose and the same at the end where it connects to the intercooler. The charge tube coming out of the PWerks intercooler is about an 1" higher which throws the geometry off. I might have to take the intercooler back off and cut the charge tubes shorter. The other reason things aren't lining up correctly is that I put in phenolic spacers on both the intake to head and the throttle body to intake. As these are each about a 1/2" thick the geometry is also changed. Some of that can be handled by rotating the 90 degree throttle body elbow. The other issue I ran into was that the exhaust cam solenoid had to be replaced. Still don't have the flow chart sheet on the heads. They keep saying it's in the mail. I'll keep you posted (at 2-3000rpm it pulls like crazy on just 1/4 throttle.)

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Just install some Pwerks charge pipes.

I have the spacers, and Pwerks intercooler.

Too bad you won’t get HP numbers as Pwerks doesn’t have a dyno.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Going up the 14th of Sept to finish hooking up the 5th injector. As their dynamometer is kaput will only be hooking up and tuning the 5th injector and checking to verify that everything is working well for 93 octane. We will also be installing the Pwerks rear frame. Getting it coated red to match the tunnel brace. I will be leaving the front brace with them to get it cleaned and repowdercoated. The powdercoating had started to peel off so it needs a new shot of coating, it will also be done in red. I will be going back next year when they get the new dyno to have everything tweaked for 106 octane. The ZZP hpfp is on it's way back should be here tomorrow. Still have to figure out how to hook up the 5th injector to the crazy low pressure side of the pump, as it doesn't connect to the OEM setup from the tank feedline to the pump. It has a quick connect fitting so I have to come up with something with 1 female and 1 male quick connect fitting and a tee for the 5th injector

Randy

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I need to use the OEM low pressure fuel line with the schrader valve to hook up my 5th injector. The OEM line has a male quick connect for attachment to the gas tank line and then has a ball and female threaded cap that connects to the OEM HPFP. The ZZPerformance HPFP has a quick connect fitting on the low pressure side rather than the male thread and ball receiver. So I need to make a short hose to connect to the OEM ball and cap with a quick connect at the other end. Nothing in my parts bin comes close to fitting and the local Auto stores are unable to match anything.

Randy

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well, as we are still working on things and waiting to solve some issues the car is back on the rack. We decided to attack the pinion seal that the dealer told me was leaking. Inspection showed that the fluid levels were correct, and there was no leakage for either the pinion or the half shafts. We have concluded that when they did the last correction they didn't clean the pig of the oil that had been sucked out of the diff. This had left about a quarter of an inch of dirt and oil on the rear and bottom of the diff.

I really have to talk to the dealer about their training. This car is expensive enough to maintain without them trying to ding me for work that doesn't have to be done.

Randy

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Thanks Chop Top.

Update on fuel connect.

I've been able to determine that the thread is a m14-1.5 and I would need a male adapter with a convex id (to seat the ball) and the threads would need to be at least 12mm or more in length so there could be a snug fit on the fuel line.

Randy

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Think we have a solution for the ZZ pump. I've ordered the parts and if it works I'll post the part numbers (from Jegs) along with pictures of the installation.

Had issues with the dread 0402 code as we had to put in a new Solo Performance down pipe. I have the Solo high flow cat and we couldn't get the old O2 extension off the old pipe. They are sending a replacement. Looking online I located the following which might help others with this issue.

90 Degree Angled O2 Check Engine Light CEL Fix Oxygen Spacer Exhaust Extension - 4 Piece Kit.

This is available on Amazon for 15.96 + shipping if you don't have Prime. I talked with Dave at PWorks and he said all you would need is the 90 degree adapter and the lock nut to correct the issue.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Here is a list of the parts I ordered from Jegs to connect the PWerks 5th Injector to the ZZP HPFP:

799-640940 -6AN X 3/8 SAE MALE EFI $10.99
799-611223 -6ANX3/8 EFI 90 HOSE END $29.99
231-16486 ALUMINUM FITTING $13.95
231-10251A ALUMINUM FITTING $6.59

I had a 24" length of -6AN fuel line to cut off what I need.

My friend has to finish 2 automatic trans rebuilds before we can plumb the injector. I will post pictures of the finished product.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well, I have a doctors appointment and an appointment to get the dogs groomed so I have to drop the GXP off early and let him work on it without my kibitzing. I'll take pictures of the finished plumbing and post most likely on Wednesday. I go up to PWerks on Friday to put in the base tune on the 5th injector, pick up their rear frame brace, drop off my PWerks front brace (needs to be repowdercoated and have them get the DeJon charge tubes to mate up with the intercooler. Got to looking at the intercooler, not only are the (PWerks) tubes too long for the DeJon but they aren't bent back towards the engine like the OEM one. Going to have some rework to do to get that working. Can't go over 5 psi boost or I pop one of the charge tubes off the intercooler. I'll have to take it easy on my trip up to Oswego.

Randy

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Here are pictures of the 5th injector hookup:

This first one shows the black line going back to the low pressure fuel line from the tank.

The next shows the entire setup.

The last shows the hook up going into the ZZP HPFP with the 5th injector line coming out of the the connection (this is on the low pressure side of the pump.)

Hope this helps

Randy

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Update! Well the 5th injector is working. Had to reweld the bung as it wasn't seated into the manifold far enough. Also, determined that the low pressure fuel line where it connected to the HPFP was leaking. This was caused by it coming into contact with the windshield wiper control arm. The HPFP inlet was rotated 90 degrees which got rid of this issue but it rides very close to the windshield cowling bracket. The major reason for this issue is the -6an quick connect (with gasket) is super long. I'll try to find a shorter one or try a 45 or 90 degree male fitting to replace it. On the way home from getting the tune done with the fifth injector I only got on it once, as long as my foot was in it the boost stayed steady at 25PSI. It's a real kick in the rear.

Here are some pictures.

Randy

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
OH, the -6an male fitting I'm saying is too long is what comes with the ZZP HPFP, not one of the parts I listed.

Randy

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Did you use an air to air intercooler Randy? Thanks for taking the time to explain all the up grades. It was quite a learning curve for me.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts