23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking under the hood of my recently
purchased 2006 Sol (2.4L) I saw a cold air intake
and a G Force Performance Chip ( wish I knew how to post
pics on here with an iPhone)

Anyone know if these are good mods and if they
add any power ?
The cars runs amazingly nice and seems quite fast !

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Cols Air intake gives you a marginal increase depending on what other mods are done to the motor with the exhaust side ie: header ,high flow cat ,performance exhaust and my opinion is that it cleans up the engine bay I'm not a big fan of all the plastic covers on these cars .The performance chip is worthless the only way to modify the motor from that standpoint is to get a tune which reprograms the ECM there are a couple of reputable "tuners " that are supporting vendors DDM Works,and Performance AutoWerks .

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
It does have a nice dual exhaust on it.
The chip is already installed so I will just leave it there
Is the "chip" wired in with 2 wires to the air flow meter plug? If so, you are going to be better off removing the "chip" from the car, as opposed to leaving it there. Typically, most of these "chips" are a simple resistor pack in a small aluminum extrusion. They are wired into the intake air temp sensor on the air flow meter and alter the intake air temp readings to the ECM, which makes the ECM think that the air coming in is cooler than is actually coming into the engine. By doing this, some timing is added to the base ignition timing and is the rational for the increase in power that is claimed by these "chips". In actuality, the timing curves on the 2.4L are really good from the factory if you are running 87 octane gas, and adding more timing results in knock, which causes the ECM to pull timing until the knock is gone and eventually learn.

In the end, the benefits of this "chip" are being learned out by the ECM and the downside is that the ECM is thinking the entire time that the intake air temp is much lower than is actually going into the engine.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Dave you just melted my brain but you have me
thinking about removing the thing.
The car runs really nice though ( although I have no idea what it runs like without the chip).
So I am assuming this thing is probably really easy to remove right?
What do you think about the cold air intake ?
I don't think that could do any harm to you?

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Well Dave you just melted my brain but you have me
thinking about removing the thing.
The car runs really nice though ( although I have no idea what it runs like without the chip).
So I am assuming this thing is probably really easy to remove right?
What do you think about the cold air intake ?
I don't think that could do any harm to you?
Typically, the "chips" are installed by connecting 2 wires to the harness of the air flow meter, usually very easy to remove. Sometimes they are installed with vampire clips, and if so just remove the clips. When you get a chance, post up some pics of what the "chip" is and how it is installed.

As for the intake, typically on the 2.4L it is should be fine, but there are so many homemade and bad intakes out there that it would be really nice to see a picture of what you have, or if there is a name on it, that would help also.

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Dave

Thanks for your help on this.
I think basically what you are saying about the chip is that it is tricking the car into thinking that the intake air is colder.
I am not a big fan of modifications to performance
as I think the factory does a great job of engineering this stuff.
I really wish I could figure out how to post photos on here so I could show you a picture of the intake.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Hi Dave

Thanks for your help on this.
I think basically what you are saying about the chip is that it is tricking the car into thinking that the intake air is colder.
I am not a big fan of modifications to performance
as I think the factory does a great job of engineering this stuff.
I really wish I could figure out how to post photos on here so I could show you a picture of the intake.
If you have a phone that can send a text with picture, you can send it to our tech line - 864-907-6004 and I can see them that way, and post them here if you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts