Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When considering the sound system how many chose the monsoon speakers?
Anyone experience the sound and can say it makes a big improvement?
:) Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The Monsoon system adds a amp, we don't know how many watts currently though, and a powered subwoofer behind the passenger seat. This means you're going to get more bass due to the sub, and you can usually turn the system up louder without loss since the signals are amplified.

I opted for it since I'll have the opt down 80%+ of the time, and want to be able to hear my music clearly over the wind/road sounds.

·
Registered
269 Posts
CanSol

Same here (hear-pun) I like the tunes fairly loud so it should be great. A previous thread stated that a similar system in another GM vehicle was 450 Watts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I opted for the Monsoon speaker System because it won't affect the price that much. When you consider that if you get your Sol completely loaded it's still around $25,000 or a little less. Might as well go for it all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
amp location?

Does anyone have a clue where they are putting the amp? Ideas? Hopefully not in the trunk.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If it interests you at all - I also read in the owner's manual (copies available on another thread) that the radio will have speed-controlled volume, which is excellent for a convertible! No more turning it up and down everytime you stop at a light.

I know it's been offered before, but for a guy who hasn't had a new car since '97 - that's pretty cool! :cool:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
JM2CW - I have had Monsoon before and was underwhelmed with its performance. I choose not to get it because of this. I will go after market if the system proves to be insufficient once I have used it for a while.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I got it. I need all the help I can get to hear anything. Was hoping they had a DVD player too so I could read lips while the song was playing. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've had Monsoon in a Sunfire, and a Grand Am GT. I think its worth it. In the Sunfire it cranked. Its better than the Bose in my Vette.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Speaker rating

The Monsoon speakers will be 7-speaker with a 225-watt amplifier. Sorry no 400+ watt system for the Solstice.

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
People need to understand this is a small car, so when you crank it up it will be loud. I had this system in a GTP and a TransAm and it perform very well for me. At any rate at my age I do not need to loose any more of my hearing with SPL's that are damaging to your ear drums, but I know the younger folks do not want to hear that, but for most people this system will be very good.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
225 watts in a two seat roadster should be more than plenty to make you lose your hearing. Sure you can do better in the aftermarket, but this system should be plenty for most people!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Stock Speakers in the Solstice are terrible. I went straight to aftermarket JBL Speakers and it sounds good.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
solstice06 said:
I opted for the Monsoon speaker System because it won't affect the price that much. When you consider that if you get your Sol completely loaded it's still around $25,000 or a little less. Might as well go for it all.
:agree: :agree:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I have the base stereo in mine, and I had the chance to hear the monsoon yesterday at the West Coast Meet. I really regret not checking that box now. The base system is less than passable, and I believe the monsoon to be WELL worth the $$.

·
2,574 Posts
Delnari said:
The Monsoon speakers will be 7-speaker with a 225-watt amplifier. Sorry no 400+ watt system for the Solstice.
Any idea on the two upgrades (mp-3 and cd player/changer heads) without the Monsoon in terms of wattage or experienced performance? I went this route and have not heard if it's ok or not. ( i just don't want/need the sub). :)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Shall we define wattage at this point? Yes, we shall.

Wattage DOES NOT equal loudness.

Wattage is a system's overhead before it naturally distorts. Think of wattage as a celling. Once you hit the celling, you hear clipping and distortion.

A 400w system can go louder while still being crystal-clear than a 225w system. Generally speaking, can a 400w system be louder than a 225w system? Yes, because it's generally a side effect of higher wattage... but can a 225w system be as loud as 400w system? Yes, just when cranked up to 10, won't sound as good.

Working in a guitar store with amplifiers, I explain this to customers every day. We have 30w amplifiers that are JUST as loud as 65w amplifers, and 40w tube amps that are louder than 100w sold-state amps.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts