Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember someone telling me one time, I think it was my buddy with a Grand AM with the Monsoon, that it comes with an amp. This would make sense because they don't change the headunit of the car when you upgrade to the Monsoon, and it wouldn't make sense just changing the speakers. The increse in soundquality would have to come from an external amp somewhere.

Where do you think it is in the Solsitce?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Definatly not in the trunk. :lol:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just a guess, but could it fit under the passenger seat

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Where do you think it is in the Solsitce?
If it has an external amp it's probably built into the dash area. It won't look anything like and aftermarket amp.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LBJay said:
If it has an external amp it's probably built into the dash area. It won't look anything like and aftermarket amp.
I wonder if it was located that the connections could be used for an aftermarket amp. The Monsoon speakers can handle more power then what they are getting from the system at the moment.

You could probably mount an amp behind the driver's seat where that storage area is. No one would even know it's there to steal it.

·
5,641 Posts
The amp is external, and located behind the driver's seat. To access it the rear interior body trim panel must be removed.

Bonzo Audit Scorecard
Defend Dealership: N/A Accuse Dealership: N/A
Defend GM: N/A Accuse GM: N/A
Provide Infomation Only: Yes
Answer Question Only: Yes
General Conversation: N/A

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Small Dealer said:
The amp is external, and located behind the driver's seat. To access it the rear interior body trim panel must be removed.
And those step-by-step directions on removing that are.... ? :cool:

Thanks for answering that SD.

·
5,641 Posts
SlipSlider said:
And those step-by-step directions on removing that are.... ? :cool:
Looks like:
1) Remove door sill plate. Held in by retainers.
2) Remove door lock pillar trim plate. Held in by retainers.
3) Remove rear trim panel. 2-screws in the strorage compartment then held in by a whole lot of retainers.
4) Remove Amp. Held in by 4 nuts or screws.

Dosen't mention if the retainers are reusable. Can't tell if they are metal clips or plastic "christmas trees".

Whoever goes first, post the results.

Bonzo Audit Scorecard
Defend Dealership: N/A Accuse Dealership: N/A
Defend GM: N/A Accuse GM: N/A
Provide Infomation Only: Yes
Answer Question Only: Yes
General Conversation: N/A

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Small Dealer said:
Looks like:
1) Remove door sill plate. Held in by retainers.
2) Remove door lock pillar trim plate. Held in by retainers.
3) Remove rear trim panel. 2-screws in the strorage compartment then held in by a whole lot of retainers.
4) Remove Amp. Held in by 4 nuts or screws.

Dosen't mention if the retainers are reusable. Can't tell if they are metal clips or plastic "christmas trees".

Whoever goes first, post the results.
You know, I was half joking about the steps. But I'm glad your posted them, it's a lot easier then I would have thought.
The retainers are just those pluggs that Gm usually uses for all it's trim pieces right? They just pop out and pop in?

If somone is able to complete these steps then a picture of the the Amp and all connections going to it would be amazing. :cheers:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Small Dealer,
You are a GEM.........

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I nice 400watt Rockford Fosgate would be a great amp replacement, and two 8 or 10-inch subs would seal the deal.

A lot of people are against subs because of that "lound thumping noise coming down the street." Even that pisses me off and I'm in that age category. I like rock, and I like striking, punchy bass. 8s and 10s are the best for that. For a mixture of punch/deep, 12s are good, but anything over that is dumb.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sub size

Fortimir said:
I nice 400watt Rockford Fosgate would be a great amp replacement, and two 8 or 10-inch subs would seal the deal.

A lot of people are against subs because of that "lound thumping noise coming down the street." Even that pisses me off and I'm in that age category. I like rock, and I like striking, punchy bass. 8s and 10s are the best for that. For a mixture of punch/deep, 12s are good, but anything over that is dumb.
What size is the sub in the Solstice?

G

·
Fortimir said:

I agree on relocating the amp, replacing it with something decent, and adding a 2nd sub. Two 8s would sound real good. But, so should 10s. I would not go with 12s in a Solstice. Its overkill

·
Registered
278 Posts
lol, you guys are already planning your stereo install, and you havent even heard the stock one yet...LOL

G

·
tednelson83 said:
lol, you guys are already planning your stereo install, and you havent even heard the stock one yet...LOL
That is because we know that we can get much better sound with aftermarket equipment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
BadAzSolstice said:
That is because we know that we can get much better sound with aftermarket equipment.
My big questions as I wait for delivery are:

1. Should I swap the speakers or just add a subwoofer?
  2. Can I get a clean install of a head unit that includes HD Radio or should I leave well enough alone? How much trouble will the steering wheel controls be?

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Has anyone with the Moonsoon system looked at their amp to see what type of input connector it has? Does it have a GM Databus connector or line level inputs? My money is on the Databus, which means you'll have to run your own wires (no problem to do though)... but we talked about this previously and never had an answer.

Thanks to anyone who pulls apart their car to check it out!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts