Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The newest issue of Cigar Aficionado has a nice, one page piece on the Solstice. Every issue has a section of the magazine called the 'good life guide' and the Sol is featured as the good life "wheels" in the December issue.

I susbcribe to the magazine, so I'm not sure if the issue has hit the newsstands yet but, if not, it should be out soon.

Best,
Skip

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Skip Greenwade said:
The newest issue of Cigar Aficionado has a nice, one page piece on the Solstice. Every issue has a section of the magazine called the 'good life guide' and the Sol is featured as the good life "wheels" in the December issue.

I susbcribe to the magazine, so I'm not sure if the issue has hit the newsstands yet but, if not, it should be out soon.

Best,
Skip
Sweet, can you scan it for us???

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I have that issue!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The magazine uses a larger format than my scanner will accommodate. Here's the copy from the article:

"When the Pontiac Solstice rolled into Detroit's COBO Center in January, 2002, it was the immediate hit of the Ninth Annual American International Auto Show. The problem was putting into production what was little more than a fantasy in fiberglass. To get the show car into showrooms, engineers had to borrow a little here, invent a little there, including the all new Kappa chassis that will eventually serve as the platform for an array of GM specialty cars.

But there was reason to wait. The sleek little roadster with the protruding nose will go far to putting the punch back in the Pontiac tagline "We build excitement".The division's tradition for brutish growlers had fallen flat of late. The Trans AM fell victim to declining sales, and the GTO, reborn in 2004, proved a short-lived and underwhelming phenomenon.

But the '06 Solstice is not your classic Pontiac muscle car, not in any way, shape or form. Oh, it's reasonably peppy, with its 2.4 liter I-4 engine putting out 177 horsepower, enough to turn 0-60 times of just over seven seconds. But rather than racing from stoplight to stoplight, the new roadster demands to be taken on long trips down winding, back-country roads, as we discovered exploring the Columbia River Gorge that separates Oregon from Washington. The stiff Kappa platform turns effortlessly, while also soaking up roadway bumps. and the oversized brakes will bring the roadster to a stop fast enough to give you a nosebleed.

Forget the Firebird. The closest comparison is that classic of affordable roadsters, Mazda's Miata. The third generation of the MX-5 also debuts this year, and it's more fun to drive than ever. Miata has the more elegant interior, though Solstice is pretty slick for its price tag - $19,995 for the base car, and less than $25,000 loaded to the gills. And there's no question Pontiac's over-the-top exterior is more eye-catching, as witnessed by consumer response. By the time Solstice sales launched in August, 7,000 paid orders had already been placed (including 1,000 customers who made deposits during a promotion on Donald Trump's TV show "The Apprentice"). With a slow factory ramp-up and a maximum capacity of 1,500 cars a month, it's likely to be Spring before new orders are filled. Then again, that'd be just in time for roadster season, so you just might want to ante up that deposit and sit tight.

Visit www.pontiac.com.

- Paul A. Eisenstein"

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I loved the review. But this sentence had me growling at the monitor. :devil:

Skip Greenwade said:
The Trans AM fell victim to declining sales, and the GTO, reborn in 2004, proved a short-lived and underwhelming phenomenon.
Nothing wrong with the GTO. 04 was a dim year becasue they made a better one at the same cost the next year.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Surprized they didn't complain the "smokers package" wasn't standard. :)

Skip Greenwade said:
With a slow factory ramp-up and a maximum capacity of 1,500 cars a month, it's likely to be Spring before new orders are filled. Then again, that'd be just in time for roadster season, so you just might want to ante up that deposit and sit tight.
Hmmm...re-order to change the things I'm second guessing, change the color, who knows? Bets on which one shows first...mine built in mid September or one built in January? I'm sticking with what I ordered but the thought of a re-order in time for Spring is tempting.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
The GTO is pretty cool, I mean the power you get for the money and the interior is awesome. The only thing is the exterior is a little bland to me. The trans am WS6 which I loved driving, has an aggressive look. The GTO needs something more agressive on the outside to make it more special. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Skip Greenwade said:

Best,
Skip
VIVA Solstice and Macanudo's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts