Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my transmission fluid to Redline synthetic two days ago and today noticed a very harsh grind when accelerating hard and shifting between 2-3. This would occasionally happen before under hard acceleration, but now it happens everytime I shift. Under normal driving I notice no issues, but when I wind up the RPM past 4500 it will grind 2-3. :brentil: I really hate the stock gearbox and would love to upgrade to a six speed, but I cannot afford that expense right now.

I have researched a lot of posts on here and everything is leading me to a bad synchro. I'm just looking to see if anyone has other input or suggestions. I do plan to make an appointment at my dealership and have the tech who performs the transmission work ride along to hear the problem.

Thank you.

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
I'm wondering if it's due to not having the additive for the clutch packs in the transmission oil. :dunno:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,478 Posts
I'm wondering if it's due to not having the additive for the clutch packs in the transmission oil. :dunno:
:huh: There aren't any clutch packs in a manual transmission. Why would you want a friction modifier in a transmission?

Explain? Please?

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
:huh: There aren't any clutch packs in a manual transmission. Why would you want a friction modifier in a transmission?

Explain? Please?
ROFLMA.....answered too early and hadn't had enough coffee, please disregard my stupid mistake! All the word didnt soak in properly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I made a mistake with the fluid as well and thought maybe it needed friction modifier, but I haven't heard of a manual requiring that. I know the fluid is at the correct level because it took three quarts and began to slowly seep out the fill hole. I noticed the same issue today, so it didn't cure itself overnight, it looks like a dealer visit is in my future this week. Maybe I'll just trade it for the nice 2013 mustang gt I saw on the lot! :leaving: :lol: I love this car and to me the Solstice is the best looking car GM made, but the many problems remind me why I stay away from GM products. They have such potential but always leave a lot to be desired in terms of quality, development, and design. I just hope this can be cured so I can enjoy driving again!

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
There have been some reports of dodgy synchros which I usually associate with hard shifting. Do you do drag racing hammered shifts, or anything else that would have contributed to accelerated synchro failure, or are you a 'normal' driver?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would say I'm more of a spirited driver, but definitely not race. Most of my driving is normal either to school or work, but of course I do like to accelerate hard at times on a straightaway and enjoy the corners. I varied my shifting techniques after noticing the issue (tried fully depressing clutch to the floor, halfway to the floor), but nothing prevented the 2-3 grind.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
It isn't the accelerating hard, it is slamming the shifts that eat synchros.

Hope you figure this issue out! Transmission jobs are a pain (in the wallet)!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope so too! I'm wanting to get it taken care of now while I still have the certified warranty so the work will be covered.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just changed my transmission fluid to Redline synthetic two days ago and today noticed a very harsh grind when accelerating hard and shifting between 2-3. This would occasionally happen before under hard acceleration, but now it happens everytime I shift. Under normal driving I notice no issues, but when I wind up the RPM past 4500 it will grind 2-3. :brentil: I really hate the stock gearbox and would love to upgrade to a six speed, but I cannot afford that expense right now.

I have researched a lot of posts on here and everything is leading me to a bad synchro. I'm just looking to see if anyone has other input or suggestions. I do plan to make an appointment at my dealership and have the tech who performs the transmission work ride along to hear the problem.

Thank you.
Please keep us updated on your vehicle situation. Do contact us if you any issues in resolving this with the dealer. I hope all is well considering. Regards!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
523 Posts
I changed my tranny fluid to Redline a couple years ago. Went from shifting like crap to shifting like smooth poo.
So a little better.
This transmission should have never been put in this car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts