Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to how much HP you guys think this engine could put out. I love this car but would like even more ponies. A few questions arise tho'.

How much torque can the Kappa system take?
How much HP is possible using regular pump gas (91-93 oct)?
How deeply would you need to dig into the engine for more HP?
How much HP can you put through this transmission?

I have been looking at the GM performance websites. The 2.2L Ecotecs are being drag raced at 900+HP. I realize these are full race modded engines and chassis'. But is something much lower possible with the stock frame and engine configs. Maybe something in the 300-400HP range?

P.S. Thanks for the post to the parts locator web site. If I do start playing with engine mods, I will try to find a Ecotec to build ahead of time instead of tearing into my original. Yea I know I'm crazy.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
If the differential is based off the CTS, then assuming the CTS-V is a good "boundary sample", the differential should be good for at least 400 hp/390 torque.

Dunno 'bout the tranny, though.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
My feeling is the clutch would go before the transmission. But a stronger clutch would be an easy upgrade once the aftermarket develops. Then it's everything behind it. Generally, standard transmissions don't easily break unless there's soft syncro's or aluminium yokes, carrier plates and such. I wouldn't be surprised if the drive shaft is made from something other than steel. Axle strength might be an issue as well.

An engineering rule of thumb: "Design it to handle twice to load to guaranty
it'll handle half that." I'd be very worried above 340. Looking for "The Weakest Link"

·
Registered
172 Posts
The engine from all reports is very durable. The rear end is out of a 2 ton V8 powered car, I think we won't be seeing any trouble with it. The transmission is closely related to the one in the S2000 (both are made by Aisen) and they do have problems. In the S2000 forums there are complaints of low speed grinding and some durabilty issues when more horsepower is added. I am hoping we get lucky and the car is bullet proof, but if we do have problems my money is on the transmission being the culprit.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think the weak link here may be the transmission, based on the other components used. The CTS-V diff will handle whatever you throw at it, and this chasis is going to be ultra stiff. They are planning more HP in the future too, so you can be fairly certain the chasis isn't clsoe to being maxed out at 170 HP.

The transmission, however, could be another story. It really depends on how sturdy the guts are. Aisin makes the S2000 6 speed, which hits 240 HP stock. But this one may have little to do with the S2000 gearbox. GM may use a different transmission in a future supercharged version too, with beefed up internals and/or an added gear.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
Is the CTS-V differential limited slip?

"An enlarged driveshaft 70 millimeters in diameter, fitted with heavy-duty constant-velocity joints, transmits the powertrain output to a limited-slip differential with 3.73 gears, oil baffles, and extra cooling fins cast into its housing."

The "3.73 gears" part is kind of out of place in this description, it actually refers to the 3.73:1 final drive ratio the gear box has, and nothing to do with the diferential. So to answer your question, yes the CTS-V does have a LSD. None of the other CTS models do though.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
brentil said:
The "3.73 gears" part is kind of out of place in this description, it actually refers to the 3.73:1 final drive ratio the gear box has, and nothing to do with the diferential. So to answer your question, yes the CTS-V does have a LSD. None of the other CTS models do though.
I haven't seen the source of this info, but 3.73 does sound like a valid rear end ratio. Most final drive ratios in the gearbox are going to be 1:1 or overdriven. I would bet that 3.73 is the rearend ratio. Sounds right to me.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
It's the assumption I made when I made up the spec sheets in the tech area of the galleries (3.73 final dr.).

I would think the LSD is optional, like the Edumunds article says.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Rik said:
CTS comes with 3.42, 3.73 or 3.91 rear axle ratios.
I'm guessing that's for the CTS-V and the other versions with the traction control options, and base?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Rik said:
CTS comes with 3.42, 3.73 or 3.91 rear axle ratios.

Where did you find that info? I looked everywhere and didn't see it.

Why would they need so many finals?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lots Of Hp

Guys,The motor guys at GM have gotten 1000 hp out of this same engine,In the second year of production the plan is for a Turbo Model putting out around 270HP, and i have test drivin one at the proving grounds and it is a head jerker for sure.Also they are seeing if they can fit a V8 into the frame.AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
OK, deep breath. Bury the envy. Relax.

I took a minute before I posted this, but I think it's important.

linedog,

You've either never driven a Solstice, or you haven't a clue that you can get in big trouble if you really did and are posting stuff like this.

Nice to have the info, BUT, you will get in big trouble. You could also ruin it for other GM Lurkers out there.

Think of it this way: If you post info on the program, and get in trouble, a company like GM has only one response: Shut off internet access to all forums. That will solve the information security problem - at least in their eyes.

BUT then the people who REALLY NEED TO READ THIS STUFF can't. And all you've done is gotten GM to block this and several other websites, and gotten yourself "dismissed".

And internal rides and evaluations at GM will become very strict - and you may have driven the high-hp version for the last time...

Info security is a big deal, and GM has enough to worry about without program info making it's way on the mainline directly to the competition.

Even though it hurts me to say this, I'd rather see official info come from Pontiac or GM itself. Though I'd love to have the scoop - many others are reading this too.

And say mazda (who, if you get on their website for miatas, seem to be extremely secretive about the next gen miata - hardly any information out there) reads this. They go: WOW! @&#*()%^#)@(#$. We better bump up the horsepower on our car too.

THEN THE MIATA STOMPS THE SOLSTICE, THEY CANCEL THE KAPPA PLATFORM, AND THE END OF THE WORLD COMES!!!

OK, well it's not that bad, but still - use your head.

Remember, even though you get an ego boost giving out info that you are priveliged to, that info also goes to the competition and hurts the position of a car that many of us on the forum are already fond of. Think about that before you post more stuff.

I am sensitive to this because I have many close sources of information at GM, some of which work on or around the kappas, and many of those guys and gals have mentioned this issue over and over.

Thanks for the info, but protect the car til it gets out.

Besides, even though you may have spent time in the solstice, there are fifty other people who live with and drive them EVERY DAY. I see them all around SouthEast Michigan. Ever wonder why these guys don't post THEIR driving impressions?

Troy, you may be able to add some to these comments, or maybe I'm way off base here.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
:agree

That was pretty much what I was typing then my browser crashed. Good to see someone got to post at least :D

Either you're pulling our chains bigtime linedog, or you're putting your job at risk. Because I bet GM has the IT infrastructure in place to know if you're posting here from work, and who it was. Or to just force the ISP to divulge IP records for the timeframe you posted and track you down that way. Unless your Bob of course. If so, hi Bob. :D

To comment about the gear ratios I'm betting if those are real ratios they apply to an automatic CTS, manual CTS, and the CTS-V. Which I don't think is right because if the CTS-V has the close ratio sports tranny at 3.73 final ration, then what model has the 3.42 ratio which is even closer ratio? The CTS has either a 5 speed auto or manual, I could understand a 4 speed auto having a ratio that low due to missing a gear, but not another non sports tuned gear box. Or I could be wrong too.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:
Where did you find that info? I looked everywhere and didn't see it.

Why would they need so many finals?
Usually they need different ratios for different transmissions like automatic vs. stick. Also performance packages might change ratios, usually lower to get 0-60 times up. I'm not at all versed on Cadillacs, so I'm not sure what thier reasons are.

·
Registered
172 Posts
3.91 ratio = 2.6 litre manuel trans

3.73 ratio = CTS-V

3.43 ratio = automatic trans

I work at a GM dealership in the parts dept. they list the ratio's along with the applications in my catalogs.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
linedog said:
Guys,The motor guys at GM have gotten 1000 hp out of this same engine,In the second year of production the plan is for a Turbo Model putting out around 270HP, and i have test drivin one at the proving grounds and it is a head jerker for sure.Also they are seeing if they can fit a V8 into the frame.AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Since this info is digital, it must be true.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts