Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I work at a TV station and got access to the Solstice GM had on display today at the Salt Lake City show... grey in color.

I sat in it and it seemed roomier than the nearby Miata I sat in. Seats seemed better than the typical GM kind and might actually hold you in place during tight curves.

Actually it seemed pretty close in interior space to the Honda 2000 I also sat in. I will say the interior was far more harmonious and classier than either... or the new T-Bird I also sat in. In fact it seemed to me the most imaginative and classy of all the GM cars on display. A really nice design inside and out that will no doubt age gracefully.

Someone ask the spokesmodel if it had a soft or hard top. She very quickly replied "soft". But then she also said it would go on sale in the Fall, too.

Another reason she doesn't know much about the top... nor do we, is because it didn't have one. She opened the trunk/hatch and the inside was empty.... just covered bottom and sides with the usual grey cardboard trunk covering. I was very disappointed because there was virtually no usable space in the trunk even without any top mechanism stuff. It was very shallow. Most likely you couldn't even get a regular size gym bag into it. I might put up with lack of trunk if it offered the plus of a hard top, but it looks too small in there for a hard top.

How do you open it?

Another disappointment. That neat little hatch between the seats? It pulls down to reveal the same glow-in-the-dark plastic tag you find inside all car trunks today to open them from the inside. She yanked out on it from the outside of the car... then lifted the whole trunk/hatch up on struts where it stayed for a while until she put it down.

I suspect producton cars may have a more useful "T" handle on the top release wire but still it makes that little cubby that was perfect for maps and flashlights and cell phones pretty useless in an already small car. I keep hearing Sostice is designed as an inexpensive car but my inexpensive 1990 Corrado had an electric latch on the fuel door... how expensive could it have been to use a button on the dash for the hatch release and gain valuable storage space in the hatch? And I doubt that anyone will be able to put the top up or down from the sitting down position inside the car anyway.

A look inside the engine compartment showedundefined a real engine covered with the usual plastic pieces... no insignias or displacements or even visable spark plug wires.

All in all a beautiful looking car at a good price that seems to have no storage space (she did say it had a glove compartment) and a poorly designed top. Maybe useful as a toy or third car but not the home run I was hopeful Pontiac would be hitting with this vehicle in their showrooms.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Kbene; How tall are you, what is your inseam? Did you move the seat forward or aft? How did the top of your head relate to the top of the windshield? Any other thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Pretty good, kbene. First person to see in the trunk and can't really get in trouble for mentioning it...

...hope GM security doesn't come knocking at your door... :jester ;)

Since there was no top, I suspect the opening mechanism was simply jury-rigged to be able to open the trunk.

You mentioned the trunk was shallow - was there a big bump in the middle of the trunk, or was it just a totally shallow box? I ask this because I can't see where else to put the fuel tank except in the middle of the trunk.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Also, what was your impression with respect to the top of the door relative to your shoulder, and the bottom and top of the w/shield relative to your seating position?

Specifically, do you feel like you are sitting in a bathtub, or on top of a toy car?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Kbene said:
I'm six feet even. I could see out of it fine.
How was the legroom??
Was it just enough or was there lots of room?
I'm 6'5" and I'm concerned about legroom...

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
Let me ask you this?. You are in the television business, did it occurr to you to take pictures?. I will wait for your answer.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Since most of the other questions have been asked, how about, find any cup holders?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Good to see some news. Unfortunately if it's all true it's really disapointing. :(

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
This doesn't sound like good news for the sake of storage capacity. But thanks a lot for sharing! Its good to hear a trunk report! Hopefully it will be a little different, in a better way, for the production model.

As for opening the trunk, I am sure production cars will not use the inside child escape latch. :smile

·
Registered
161 Posts
Kbebe said -- I sat in it and it seemed roomier than the nearby Miata I sat in. <snip>

Wow! Was that the new Miata? The guys on the miataforum would love to hear from you! They have even less info than we do... A comparison between the two would be great for some of us that are fence straddlers...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts