Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, maybe I should put this thread in the general Solstice forum engine mods category, but I've got an auto 2.4 Coupe, so I put it in the Coupe discussion.

Unlike most HP junkies, I want all my power at the low rpm end of things and at less than highway speeds. I don't really think I would achieve good value for my buck if I went the turbo route. My impression is that their main benefit is at higher rpms and on the highway. Correct me if I'm wrong. I live in a congested part of New Jersey with a cop hiding behind a tree on every block. The chances to go freakishly fast are pretty limited. I'm also a 55 year old guy who's a pretty tame considerate driver. Driving over 100mph and racing dudes on the highway has never held much fascination for me. For me, all the fun of sports cars, like the Opel GT's I've driven for 35 years, has been in taking turns as fast as I can with no brakes and rapid acceleration up to about 50mph on local roads. Basically, hot rodding around the neighborhood.

I recently installed a Solo Performance exhaust system and I'm quite enjoying the additional low speed acceleration I'm getting. I'd like to have just a little more oomph at those brief, low rpms. I'm not really jazzed by the idea of opening the engine to install torquier cams or any other mods to the inside of the engine.

I've seen a lot of references to different "tunes" that you guys have had done. Is there a "tune" that would enlarge my balls at the low speed/low rpm range? Where would I go to get my balls tuned larger? What sort of testicle enhancing tuning options do I have?

What other torque boosting mods can I opt for?

If all of this has been addressed well in other threads, please direct me to them.

:)

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
As you might imagine, there has been a lot of discussion over the years about how to get more go out of the NA 2.4 cars.

Basically you can get a little, maybe actually measurable, improvement by spending dollars on a tune, header, etc but you are never going to get significant improvement without boosting the intake.

The turbo cars spend the vast majority of their lives at zero boost. In cruise, I rarely see over 1-4 pounds of boost going up the pass in the mountains. The rest of the time its just humming along at 0 boost. If you add a turbo to your car, you will get a lot more power but it is a demand system and as you noted you have to get the turbo up and spinning which means some level of turbo lag. They tend to make their most power at mid to high RPMs depending on the power level you are seeking and the size of the turbo to achieve that power level.

If you want low down grunt and great mid range then a great way to achieve that is with a super charger. They work from idle because they are always spinning. There is no lag like with a turbo. They tend to run out of breath at higher RPMs but you will still see a significant improvement at high RPMs. They are always on but it all evens out because you are making more power at any given RPM you can use a lot less throttle to maintain cruise speeds or moderate acceleration where a non boosted car would require full on flogging to achieve its maximum performance.

And the DDM supercharger kits are very well known and reliable.

If I were going to offer advice, which I try to avoid, I would say look for a stage 2 DDM Works super charger kit and throw it on over a weekend then enjoy the new power. :devil:

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, that sounds right up my alley. I had always assumed that superchargers were like turbos and didn't kick in until higher rpms or high demand. Everything you said about them and the "weekend install", bolt-on concept, sounds just right for my level of interest and skill at these sorts of things.

Is there a good thread where someone has documented their install of such a whirlygig?

Does the "tune" need to be changed to maximize a supercharger's benefits?(Edit: I see in the DDM description that the kit comes with a "remote tune". Remote? Wazzat?)

Not that it really matters, but do they adversely affect gas mileage? Or enhance it?

I guess anything that tweaks more power out of an engine probably shortens the lifespan of certain components and the drivetrain. Are they hazardess to my car's health?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, ya gotta love or fear Google. I did a general internet search for "DDM Works stage 2 super charger kit" and everything on the list was links to the DDM site and those gizmos on 2.4 Solstice/Sky's. Kinda scary that they would know that that's the car I was gonna put on on.

I checked out the stage I, II, and III write-ups. Ferocious prices, but ferocious HP increases also. And right at the low end where I want it.

I'm $6K into upgrades this year, plus the purchase of the car, so this great idea will have to wait for next year's budget.

C'mon income tax refund!

:yesnod:

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Man, ya gotta love or fear Google. I did a general internet search for "DDM Works stage 2 super charger kit" and everything on the list was links to the DDM site and those gizmos on 2.4 Solstice/Sky's. Kinda scary that they would know that that's the car I was gonna put on on.

I checked out the stage I, II, and III write-ups. Ferocious prices, but ferocious HP increases also. And right at the low end where I want it.

I'm $6K into upgrades this year, plus the purchase of the car, so this great idea will have to wait for next year's budget.

C'mon income tax refund!

:yesnod:
What in the world did you spend $6k on already? :lol:.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What in the world did you spend $6k on already? :lol:.
Here's one way to spend $6K+:

Full body kit painted and delivered ready to install = $5K+
Stainless dual outlet center exhaust = $800
The custom EZ install folding Coupe soft top that was much discussed here and just picked up from the seller by me 3 hours ago = $800
A couple of hundred $$$ for emblems, carpets, etc. for me to decorate my Coupe as though it was a modernized Opel GT.

I only bought the car 3-4 months ago!

I need to put my wallet in the ice box, lock it, and throw away the key!

:lockme:

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Check out this LS RX7 radiator shroud (Stop the vid at the 37 mark) wonder if this is the type of enclosed shroud that GMTech is talking about.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice install. Sounds great, spins the tires in 2nd(maybe 3d), neato!

Man, look how low it sits. The engine support or oil pan looks like it's 1" off the ground. Watch those speed bumps!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Here's one way to spend $6K+:

Full body kit painted and delivered ready to install = $5K+
Stainless dual outlet center exhaust = $800
The custom EZ install folding Coupe soft top that was much discussed here and just picked up from the seller by me 3 hours ago = $800
A couple of hundred $$$ for emblems, carpets, etc. for me to decorate my Coupe as though it was a modernized Opel GT.

I only bought the car 3-4 months ago!

I need to put my wallet in the ice box, lock it, and throw away the key!

:lockme:

Ah, I didn't catch the body kit part :lol:. Add a supercharger and you'll be over the $10k mark in no time. I think I've got $4k wrapped up in mine so far. I better put the stop on spending as well :lol:.

·
Premium Member
17,529 Posts
Check out this LS RX7 radiator shroud (Stop the vid at the 37 mark) wonder if this is the type of enclosed shroud that GMTech is talking about.

RX7 LS2 V8 conversion - YouTube
Interesting
But it puts the air intake into the same plenum as the radiator supply air. Wonder how that works.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
The stock unblown engine isn't going to gain much without losing flexibility, although the dyno that shabby posted is a very good one, with gains over a stock engine even at low rpm (I'd like to see what they did to the engine - I expect the usual, compression, cam etc.).

The Stage 3 DDM supercharger kit strikes me as a bargain, not as being high priced, for what you get and compared to what the same sort of set up costs on other cars.

Performance costs money! Twas ever thus.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
The stock unblown engine isn't going to gain much without losing flexibility, although the dyno that shabby posted is a very good one, with gains over a stock engine even at low rpm (I'd like to see what they did to the engine - I expect the usual, compression, cam etc.).

The Stage 3 DDM supercharger kit strikes me as a bargain, not as being high priced, for what you get and compared to what the same sort of set up costs on other cars.

Performance costs money! Twas ever thus.
:agree:
And cubic dollar$ WIN! ($$$)

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I got a reply from them, basically some port work/bolt-ons and tuning.

That engine has a lightly ported cylinder head (mainly exhaust port work). Otherwise, it is a completely stock, used engine. The short ram intake, and header/exhaust, along with carefully cam timing tuning allow it to make that kind of power. I would expect a little less power with a completely stock LE5 once tuned.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts