Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from the Detroit Auto show, and have posted pictures of both the Solstice and the Sky into the gallery. Some of them are a little fuzzy (from chasing the rotating car), and there are alot of duplicates that others have posted. Some of my thoughts now that I have seen both in person.....I will get the Solstice as it is the first one out. Could not look into the "trunk" of either one, but it is a non-issue with me. Looking at the rear deck lid, and comparing the amount of "real-estate" available for sealing the top to the body, I now know that there will be "wings" to add support to the top. They will use the small holes in the deck lid as a rearward point of contact and have what appears to be about 10-12 inches of horizontal contact before the passenger compartment. The pivot point of the top would dictate a much shorter horizontal run to seal against the rear deck, but to use pressure as the main sealing force it would require points further aft, thus the need for "wings" as a cover for the top mechanism. This should make for a fairly water tight and air tight seal between the top and the body.
The Sky photographed better for me because it was not black on a shiny surface tilted. I like the lines of the Sky, but I will get the first roadster available which is the Solstice.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Excellent views, Rogo! I'm headed to the Baltimore Auto Show on Friday, February 11th, with my digital camera in hand. I hope to get some great shots to post as well! :cheers

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Some good pics Rogobuck! Thanks for sharing them!! :thumbs

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
SolsticeWaiting said:
Excellent views, Rogo! I'm headed to the Baltimore Auto Show on Friday, February 11th, with my digital camera in hand. I hope to get some great shots to post as well! :cheers
I'll call ya soon. We'll head down together. XLER8TOR, you in?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
2KWK4U, sounds great! I'm taking the entire day off from work, so I plan on being there when the gates open. :cheers

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Not a bad idea. I'll consider it. Wanted to save my leave, but one day won't kill me... it'll be worth it.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Front License Plate???

So I'm looking at your photos, the front shots, of this stunningly beautiful vehicle and I'm thinking... "Where the heck do you plaster a license plate?"
Most of us live in a state (Texas) where it's against the law to NOT display your license plate on the front bumper, yet Pontiac has made no provisions to easily stow one. I can't imagine attaching a plate to the grill and ruining the classic looks of the front elevation. In Europe they sometimes indent a spot on a lower corner for a plate... on the other hand, I have been known to just keep the front plate in my trunk (Audi TT).

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good question. Nevada also requires the front license plate to be displayed. I wonder if there is some way to come up with a new half grille with a license plate provision in it and then maybe a cover that would give the appearance of a full grille without affecting the cooling and still make it legal in the states that require a front plate?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got a closeup of the front (or as close as the pic would get) and you are right there isn't a place for a tag in front. Even if there is a tag holder added it really will take away from the whole look :cool and feel of the car. Luckily here in NC we don't have to have front tags. Yet.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
There was a thread a while back called "Front end looks ruined" where this was discussed at lenght, maybe it would help. There was also a picture posted with the SOL and a license plate in the front.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
They will simply have some sort of bracket on the front fascia to attach the plate. Most likely in front of the grille. Once you see it a few times, you will get used to it.

It would be far worse to make some sort of indentation in the bodywork for the plate, than just attaching it in front. That would ruin the beautiful lines for everyone who bought the car. If you don’t have a front plate law, your not going to want a front plate location on the car. Filling it in with a box, like on a Corvette or Firebird just wouldn’t look right on a car like this IMO either. Doing it the way they are preserves the cars lines, even if they are covered in front plate states.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts