Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew an old man who used to get a new T-Bird every year. Before he went on a long trip he would spray the front grille, bumper and front area of the cars hood with PAM cooking spray. He claimed it was meant to hold up to oven temperatures and remain slippery for the foods baked or cooked on it, and since it was basically vegetable oil with propellent it would not damage his paint or chrome and the bugs would come off it easily. Sounds worth a try. eh?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Interesting idea, probably want to stay away from the Pam with Garlic, no bugs but the front end would be covered with Italians! :lol:

Seriously though I drive hundreds of miles to the inlaws farm once a month and pick up a gagillion bugs...I'm going to give this a shot.

·
Registered
157 Posts
DO NOT USE PAM ON THE FRONT OF YOUR CAR!

I had heard of this also, and one summer we were going for a road trip in our black Denali during love bug season. Since I am the one who details the cars, the thought of what the truck was going to look like when we got back was not a pretty prospect.

So, I decided to try this Pam idea. Got home after a week trip, washed the Denali and found...that the Pam baked on the car and didn't want to come off! It took me HOURS of washing, scrubbing, using wax cleaner and re-waxing to finally get the car back to new shape. Ended up it would've been a lot easier to clean off the bugs than the Pam!

FWIW, use this "tip" at your own risk! My best advice is to keep the car thoroughly waxed and bring a bottle of Quick Detailer with you...clean off the bugs whenever you can and wash frequently. And never, I repeat NEVER, let love bugs stay on more than 24 hours (and hopefully never overnight).

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Well it might have been alright if you washed it upon arrival, and then re-applied the Pam for the trip home.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
WD-40?

I think I've heard of people using WD-40 (I've never tried it :leaving: )

Does seem like a quick wash would be the better solution :yesnod:

·
Registered
70 Posts
OZ40 said:
I knew an old man who used to get a new T-Bird every year. Before he went on a long trip he would spray the front grille, bumper and front area of the cars hood with PAM cooking spray. He claimed it was meant to hold up to oven temperatures and remain slippery for the foods baked or cooked on it, and since it was basically vegetable oil with propellent it would not damage his paint or chrome and the bugs would come off it easily. Sounds worth a try. eh?
Try using this....
I first spray the area with a clear bug & tar remover (LIFTER 1 PRODUCTS).
Wait a couple minutes & spray again. After a couple of minutes I then put a
liberal amount of bug & tar remover made by Turtle Wax (the white liquid) on
a rag and the bugs and tar wipe right off. As far as finish goes, our white jeep Liberty shines like the day we bought it... :yesnod:

SLY--everything except XM, Onstar, & smokers pkg.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Solstice baby said:
Try using this....
I first spray the area with a clear bug & tar remover (LIFTER 1 PRODUCTS).
Wait a couple minutes & spray again. After a couple of minutes I then put a
liberal amount of bug & tar remover made by Turtle Wax (the white liquid) on
a rag and the bugs and tar wipe right off. As far as finish goes, our white jeep Liberty shines like the day we bought it... :yesnod:

SLY--everything except XM, Onstar, & smokers pkg.

I can attest to my love of the Lifter1 products. My only problem is my local store in Michigan (Meijer - Regional Store to great lakes area) no longer carries Lifter1 products. I can't seem to find anywhere that carries this and I'm down to my last can.

I have never had to use an additional cleaner in addition to the Lifter1 Bug & Tar remover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts