4,592 Posts
did i hear double hinged trunk??? :thumbs

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RODEO said:
did i hear double hinged trunk??? :thumbs
That's what the hint sounded like. What I'd like to know is what the "juicy information" is that he's not allowed to leak. I didn't think there were many surprises left at this point.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Nice find! He had a really nice review of the Solstice. I hope his observations are correct, although I do not detect much that would make me more suspicious than normal.

I decided to copy his quotes over... so these are by "Grimmace" on Miata.net.

On the two metalic disks on the trunk lid, he has this to say:

Grimmace at Miata.net said:
the "hard-top attachment sockets" aren't what you think they are.
On the theory that the Solstice will have a double-hinged trunk t6o allow trunk access with the top up:

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER...
Finally, his overall comments:

OK - "Your questions will be answered after NAIAS."

I had the opportunity to spend a weekend with the Solstice (err, Solstices - one was the bare chassis we've seen in photos) at Darknights (tuner car show in Markham, Ontario). If anyone from here went, I was in the Solstice booth most of the Sunday. I know I talked to a few Miata guys, anyway.

Like the other autoshows the Solstice has been to, it was roped off at Darknights as well. The car was a ultra-expensive pre-production one-off, the same grey-on-tan car you've seen making the show circuits. No way we could let people touch it, get in it, etc.

However, being one of the GM reps I was in the roped off area and in close contact with the cars. I've got to pick and choose my words carefully - I don't want to reveal anything I shouldn't.

Fit and finish, even for a pre-production car, was quite good. Plastics and fabrics weren't typical GM tacky. The gearshift lever falls easily into hand and has a good feel. Throws were short, but not quite Miata short. The seat felt nice and fairly supportive, but a seat can feel good at rest and be terrible in motion when actually using the pedals, etc., so I'll reserve judgement on that later. All-in-all, probably the best GM interior I've been in. I especially liked the way the stereo/HVAC controls were tilted towards the driver. The gauges were easy to see through the steering wheel. The interior as a whole felt driver-oriented, and fit my 6'0" 190 lb. frame a lot better than the NB Miata. For example, on the NB, my leg hits the area under the steering column when I let out the clutch or move my foot to the brake. Not so on the Solstice.

The car's shape, in person, is much better than in photos. I really like it. Looks are subjective, but this is a sexy car.

As for trunk space, it's hard to comment on that. This particular show car has no top (which is why we've never seen a shot of it with the top up), so it was difficult to judge how much trunk space it would eat up. No doubt though, the trunk will be small, but that's no secret from the press quotes you've all read. I know that will be a detriment to the Miata folk who use their cars for golf trips, overnight stays, etc. Turns me off from the car a bit too, but I can't afford a new car anyway (I can *just* about afford a '99 or '00 NB - houses are expensive...)

Also, the wheels + tires are too much for this car. They look great style-wise, but if I was to buy one, the first thing I'd do is swap out the 18" rims + ultra-wide rubber for some skinnier 16 or 17" tires on lightweight rims. Although the Ride and Handling guys at GM say the car is impressive on the track, so I'll reserve judgement on that too.

Can't say too much else, though I wish I could share some of the really juicy news.
It's obvious this is Lutz's baby, and all the better for it. The NC is square in our sights. I think competition improves the breed, and I believe the consumer should be spoiled for choice, so I hope BOTH cars are sales sucesses.

PS - Before anyone asks about the curb weight and rumours of a forced-induction model, I can't confirm or deny any of that data.
I like all that I hear! He should join us over here because he sounds exctied about this car too! I wonder if he is aware of our site?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I believe the trunk had to be double hinged...

Who could live with a rearward opening trunk ?

Should be a great car.

When do we get "official" Production car information?

Couple of weeks at LA and Detroit shows?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fformula88 said:
.... I hope his observations are correct, although I do not detect much that would make me more suspicious than normal. ....
What about his claim of being a GM rep? I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
tcl said:
I hadn't seen those. I wonder if the production top has the same rakish profile as that shown in the little drawing.
I believe that image of the roof is actually a pre-concept sketch used to make the clay model with.

·
Registered
753 Posts
so .... if the 'hard top atachment sockets aren't what you think they are' then what might they actually be?
also, he was describing an 'ultra expensive one- off pre production prototype'- i believe that the pre production show cars were closer to the spec on the canadian gm site . he may have seen some really cool stuff that won't make it to initial production, for example a 240hp superchrged ecotec.
i do expect that the cars shown at the next round of shows will be representative of the final production model. if there are good surprises in store for us then all the better, but i think it's a winner just like it is- i'm not put off by little things like odd rubber on the windshield so the window will seal, or a small, inconvenient trunk. overall, the car is great to look at and built to drive. that's what i want.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
tcl said:
What about his claim of being a GM rep? I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.
Oh, I believe that he thinks he is telling it like it is, and maybe it is correct information. However, a lot of GM reps have given false information over the years too. For all we know, GM has some people out there purposely spreading false information to throw off the competition.

·
Registered
397 Posts
His location is Oshawa, ON Canada, the location of the GM W car plant.

Sounds like he can't keep his mouth shut. :yesnod

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
cdb said:
also, he was describing an 'ultra expensive one- off pre production prototype'- i believe that the pre production show cars were closer to the spec on the canadian gm site .
Actually I think he was refering to the fact that being a hand built prototype it was very expensive to build due to hand made cmoponenets and the 100's of man hours involved in putting it together.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
The guy is not very accurate.

Double hinged trunk? give me a break. notgonnahappen.com

Shifter throws? If he's a GM rep, I bet he hasn't been in a miata enough to make a judgement of that. I think, I mean... er... I, ahh, hear that the shifter throws are better than a Miata...

Since he was looking at the show car, sans top, he has NO basis to talk about top operation.

Besides, WTF is he doing as a "GM Rep" posting on a miata forum? If he really is a GM rep, I hope someone over at GM sees the posting and fires the idiot...

I am certain that his information is less than 100% accurate, guys and gals, so take it with a grain of salt. And don't worry, again... I hear that you can get in the trunk without taking the top down.

Read over the articles from england, I think the autoweek article or the car and driver article gives a pretty good description of how the top operates. Even though the top was rough, it was a reasonably good look at the intended final product.

And if you are detecting a bit of anger in this post, it is directed toward someone claiming to be GM-affiliated, then leaking information to a competitive forum... the GALL of some people.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not quite sure how anyone can be certain that the trunk won't be double-hinged. It's not all that difficult to engineer a double-hinged trunk (or door or anything else), so it seems to be that may be the route GM takes on this vehicle. It would add some weight, but the Solstice is already pretty heavy, so that shouldn't be too big a deal.

On the other hand, GM may decide that potential Solstice buyers won't worry about trunk accessibility, and just have a front-hinged trunk. I think that's probably a mistake, but I'm not in charge at GM.

My point is that we won't know how the trunk (or the top) operate for another month. Until then, it's all just speculation.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
guy is a phony

this guy who says he is from oshawa, is such a liar about everything! He said he saw the solsice in Markham. there was no solstice there. i guarantee that. The only time it has been around the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) is at the 2002 CIAS, 2004 CIAS, and two (underground GM meetings) I know who this guy is. i see him all the time. he drives some blue mini. I also live in Oshawa, and if this guy is a Gm rep who works in the GM building on Colonel Sam Drive, HE WOULD NOT BE DRIVING A BMW MINI OR ANY OTHER CAR MANUFACTURER NOT FROM GM. i have contacts in the gm main building, and i am there very often, and not 1 car in the parking lot is anything but a GM.
So dont take this guy seriously. He is trying to cause a stir. Lets just all wait till the 2005 NAIAS show and well see the final production then.
until then, Cheers. :yesnod

·
Registered
49 Posts
palmer said:
I'm not quite sure how anyone can be certain that the trunk won't be double-hinged. It's not all that difficult to engineer a double-hinged trunk (or door or anything else), so it seems to be that may be the route GM takes on this vehicle. It would add some weight, but the Solstice is already pretty heavy, so that shouldn't be too big a deal.

On the other hand, GM may decide that potential Solstice buyers won't worry about trunk accessibility, and just have a front-hinged trunk. I think that's probably a mistake, but I'm not in charge at GM.

My point is that we won't know how the trunk (or the top) operate for another month. Until then, it's all just speculation.
and if it aint gonna be, :D submit that resume

1 - 20 of 70 Posts