Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That thread over at Miata forum keeps growing. Interesting seeing their analysis of Solstice. On page 4 of the thread they are looking at our cutaway picture and our chasis pics.

One guy (LWW) is predicting a quiet ride for Solstice (good NVH) based on our platform. Some discussion the weight of the 2 cars, LWW seems to think Solstice will be a surprise and come in less than 2860.

http://forum.miata.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=000168;p=4

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
Some discussion the weight of the 2 cars, LWW seems to think Solstice will be a surprise and come in less than 2860.
That would be a very nice suprise that I would gladly accept. Even just 100 lbs lighter would be great.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
A little less weight would be great! I am happy with 2860, but I think something down around 2700-2750 would be more ideal without compromising the structural rigidity of the platform.

That said, I am not sure it will be much lighter. The car is extremely wide for its length, which adds a lot of extra steel a car like the Miata doesn’t have. Dimensionally it is very close to the Honda S2000 (the S2000 is a little longer, and not as wide as the Solstice) and that car comes in just over 2800 pounds. So GM’s estimate is probably a good guess.

Still, a little weight reduction would certainly be welcome!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
From LWW @ Miata.Net Forum:
On the Solstice I have never seen GM post a weight. I'm not sure where the heavier figure comes from. I can say it makes no sense as that approaches a Vette in weight which has a much larger engine and a larger fiberglass (heavier) body.

The sources I have at GM, and granted they are probably not as well placed in the design loop as Grimace's, have not heard (or at least won't state) a weight for the car. They are skeptical of the 2,900ish weight however. I do know with hydroformed frame rails weight was saved in the C/K lineup while increasing strength. I know Lutz has promised a lightweight sportscar so something than approaches the weight of a compact/midsize sedan doesn't make sense with the muscle the General has put behind it. The best guess I have heard on the heavy Solstice is that the 2,900 lb. weight was for the original prototype and not a production car.
The weight is something that some people have put far too much emphasis on IMHO as it will be a lightweight car no matter what.

As an example I once owned an MG Midget. Not sure of its exact weight but I believe it was sub 1,600 lbs. It was nowhere near the joy of the Miata nor was it as "nimble" or as "agile" or as "tossable".
Makes sense to me!

·
Registered
533 Posts
GM posted an estimated weight of 2,860 in the press release for the production car last January, though LWW might not have seen that. Hopefully this January we'll see another press release with the actual figure.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Those Miata guys are getting too wrapped up in the weight! If its quick, agile, rides nice and handles well, plus or minus a hundred pounds is not that big of a deal. At least not for 95% of buyers.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On page 5 they are looking at the spy shots of the Solstice on the road.

It's looking pretty darn nice
Nice find, kind looks like a BMZ Z car
This would be nice if true....
Actually, the more I look at those new photos, the more it looks like the tonneau and the trunk might be independent of one another. Thus, tonneau opens from rear to swallow top; trunk opens from front just like a normal trunk. That would give the trunk a small opening, but would allow storage access with the top down.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Some of the miata forum guys are pulling for the Solstice to be a success. They're saying that the competition would be good for both brands. It would help hold prices down and lead to quicker improvements as the two tried to out do each other.

They're a lot like us; they put their sports cars on one leg at a time too. :lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think you'll find that most Miata guys hope the Solstice is a success. Most of us have probably bought used Miatas and don't have an "us vs. them" attitude or the need to justify a recent new car purchase. We're much more interested in discussing tires, 6.5-lb. wheels, boost & maintenance. Who knows, if we ever need to replace our reliable Miatas, we might be looking to buy a used Solstice in 20-30 years so take good care of your cars. ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
robrecht - I like your '93. The pics make it look like it just came from the dealership showroom. Your commute sounds very sweet, too. I see why you have a Miata. Are you considering an NC?

You have the advantage of hands-on enjoyment. We are still only able to speculate and dream.

But not for too much longer.

·
Registered
192 Posts
dls6774 said:
robrecht - I like your '93. The pics make it look like it just came from the dealership showroom. Your commute sounds very sweet, too. I see why you have a Miata. Are you considering an NC?

You have the advantage of hands-on enjoyment. We are still only able to speculate and dream.

But not for too much longer.
With 2 kids, I think I'll be lucky to hang onto my Miata as a 3rd car. Next car for me should be a 4-seater. I have test driven an RX-8 but I'm not really in the market--since my wife is home with the kids, I haven't really needed a 4-seater yet, eg, don't need to drop off the kids at daycare. If I were to win the lottery, I'd probaby buy an Elise or C6 as a fun car, but for now I'll stick with my Miata, maybe bolt on a turbocharger as learning experience with my boys. If they both end up being interested in cars (what are the chances of that), though, I really should have 2 sports cars to pass on in my will. :blueangel A friend wants to sell me her MGTD for half price ...

·
5,600 Posts
The rapidly escalating Miata-Solstice rivalry is in my best interest. I get choices, and the makers compete. As in racing, competition improves the breed.

That the Solstice is being criticized on the Miata forum tells me they consider it a serious challenger to the Miata's domain. Call it a gruding respect.

FWIW, I will buy a new sportscar. But neither the Solstice nor the Miata is pre-ordained to be my next purchase. The winner must earn it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
robrecht said:
<snip> .. I'll stick with my Miata, maybe bolt on a turbocharger as learning experience with my boys. If they both end up being interested in cars (what are the chances of that), though, I really should have 2 sports cars to pass on in my will. :blueangel A friend wants to sell me her MGTD for half price ...
An MGTD for half price now or a 20-30 year old Solstice... Hmmmm... :jester

·
Registered
533 Posts
jimbo said:
The rapidly escalating Miata-Solstice rivalry is in my best interest. I get choices, and the makers compete. As in racing, competition improves the breed.

That the Solstice is being criticized on the Miata forum tells me they consider it a serious challenger to the Miata's domain. Call it a gruding respect.

FWIW, I will buy a new sportscar. But neither the Solstice nor the Miata is pre-ordained to be my next purchase. The winner must earn it.
All good points. The choice of open top sports cars in the 20k-30k range will be incredible in the next year if you throw in pre-owned high-end roadsters like the Boxster and M Roadster. From what is known publicly at this point, the Solstice best matches what I'm looking for. I'm waiting for more information on the Sky and the new Miata before solidifying my opinion.

I sat in a Lava Orange MazdaSpeed Miata at the DC auto show last week. Very nice paint job. I seemed to fit in it, though my legs were a bit cramped. My two other observations were that my forehead seemed to be slightly higher than the top of the windscreen, and the leather seats were very slippery. If the new Miata is not significantly larger inside, it falls off my list immediately.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
jimbo said:

As one of those "Miata guys" don't misinterpret our comments on the Solstice. Most of us would like to see the Solstice succeed. We all just have strong opinions on what will make a successful sports car both for the Solstice and the upcoming NC MX-5.

Many times our criticism is directed at the Solstice designers/engineers, as in "What were they thinking? Don't they know that was a big problem with car xyz?"

So just remember when we point out what we see as short comings for both the Solctice and the NC, it's with the hope that they will be corrected.

Come on over and join the discussion, we don't bite, honest. :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
LBJay said:
As one of those "Miata guys" don't misinterpret our comments on the Solstice. Most of us would like to see the Solstice succeed. We all just have strong opinions on what will make a successful sports car both for the Solstice and the upcoming NC MX-5.

Many times our criticism is directed at the Solstice designers/engineers, as in "What were they thinking? Don't they know that was a big problem with car xyz?"

So just remember when we point out what we see as short comings for both the Solctice and the NC, it's with the hope that they will be corrected.

Hi And Welcome!

I bounce back and forth. That laser blue color on your car is nice. I didn't know Mazda would let you special order colors. Is that standard operating procedure for Mazda?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks LBJay. Hey it's good to have non-biased eyes looking at this as well. In fact I think your guys were the first to pick up the extra unsnapping required to open trunk when top was up. Hope we can retrun the favor when the NC comes out but the MX-5 engineers have a lot of experience at this ;)

Welcome.

·
Registered
533 Posts
LBJay said:
I've been registered there for about a month or so. I'm keeping the NC on my radar screen. The current generation is a little small for me. Looking forward to the first magazine road tests.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
LBJay said:

Welcome over from the land of evil Miata fans LBJay! :D Just kidding of course! I have always loved Miatas, and always figured I would own one at some point. The only thing that has changed those plans is the Solstice! It just stole my heart! :blush

You guys are not the only people to curse some of GM's engineering decisions either. We have had tons of discussions on whyGM chose to do certain things. The small amount of trunk space, the top operation, the rubber seal winglets halfway up the A-pillars, the weight, the really large standard wheels, etc etc. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes of some of those things. I guess we are just hoping the car is so good desipite these little quirks that we won't really care.

I certainly can live with some of the oddities, but my biggest concern is whether they can reach their sales goals with them. The buying public is very fickle. Hopefully, they will move enough of them to be successful!

The Miata/Solstice rival should be a good one! I find Miata owners to be very knowledgeable enthusiats, and very open to different cars. Its also always good to have a little competition, and that goes for Miata and Solstice. It helps to drive each manufacturer to make improvements on the cars (as well as individuals!). This should be fun! Stop by anytime!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts