Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm looking into upgrading from a 03 350z to a solstice and just had a question or two for the community.

Which model solstice is the best to get 400 or more whp out of? Would it be better to buy a base and spend the saved cash on a turbo kit or spend up all at once on a gxp? I know the LNFs can handle some power, but also see some powerful LE5s on here.

Base models around here are 12k or so for a decent one, while gxps are 17ish.

I'm not against doing some work on the car including a full turbo install, and either option is viable to me money wise just curious which motor would be better to build off of.

Oh and if anyone wants to know, I'm wanting something that is easier to mod for power than a 350z. Twin turbos and a built motor and I'm already at the price I paid for the car. Plus solstices can be had with crazy low miles for the price.

Additionally, has anyone on here owned a 350z prior? How does the kappa platform compare?
Thanks for your input!
Rein

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Go with GXP

But 17ish can be beaten if your patient.

I paid 13.5 for mine.

·
Premium Member
17,541 Posts
Either car can be built to achieve your objectives. By the time you upgrade the power and suspension on the 2.4 to match the performance of the GXP you will have spent the difference in cost. Buying an NA with the objective of making it perform like a turbo car is not a cost savings. Buy an NA and enjoy it for what it is, swap in an LS or get a GXP

·
Registered
398 Posts
Get a GXP! It will cost a lot more to get 400 WHP out of N-A than a GXP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, that's what I was thinking. easier to turbo swap and upgrade an already turbo'd car :)

Just sometimes automakers put out a miracle engine that handles a ton more power than rated for (ex. 2jz) and didn't know if the LE5 might be one of them.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
As someone who has an NA I'm surprised everyone is saying to go with a GXP. The OP was asking which car is 'more moddable' and if he could use the savings on a NA to upgrade it. I'm obviously biased because I specifically bought an NA because of the larger displacement and I wanted to go with the DDM supercharger / trifecta tune most likely. I think a tuned NA with a stage III supercharger on it would outperform a GXP, even with mods on the GXP. I could be wrong but the OP isn't asking which is faster out of the box. He specifically wants to mod the car.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
271 Posts
As someone who has an NA I'm surprised everyone is saying to go with a GXP. The OP was asking which car is 'more moddable' and if he could use the savings on a NA to upgrade it. I'm obviously biased because I specifically bought an NA because of the larger displacement and I wanted to go with the DDM supercharger / trifecta tune most likely. I think a tuned NA with a stage III supercharger on it would outperform a GXP, even with mods on the GXP. I could be wrong but the OP isn't asking which is faster out of the box. He specifically wants to mod the car.

my 2 cents
A stage 2 or 3 supercharged 2.4L will definitely beat a stock GXP, but if the GXP has some sort of tune it'll be a drivers race between the GXP and stage 3 supercharged. So for the OP's sake, a base + $5.6k supercharger kit will be about the same powerwise as a GXP + $300 tune. Nevermind the handling. When he's talking about 400 whp though, a 2.4L will not get there without building the engine first. A GXP can get there with a simple bolt-on turbo swap, such as ZZP's ZFR, an intercooler, an intake, a downpipe, and a tune on 93 octane. All together, a GXP can hit 400 whp with about $3,500 in it, give or take depending on your exact route.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts

my 2 cents
Well, first you are looking at close to $7,000 for the stage 3 kit and headers even if you don't rebuild the bottom end to suit, and second, the guy with the GXP can just swap out a turbo and get more power than you'll have for less money.

I think people are (correctly) saying that the GXP is a ready built strong engine for further modding and 400 bhp is easy without serious expense, while the NA costs a bunch to get to the GXP starting point (later years = weak rods etc. as well). Not that you can't have a lot of fun with the modded NA, but if you want 400 bhp, that isn't the cheapest easiest way to get there.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Makes sense

·
Premium Member
17,541 Posts
My personal experience has been that Scooter was an NA and could not keep up with with a GXP on runs in Colorado. In fact, I have a video of a flat lander trying to pass a truck at the Nationals two years ago and nearly had a head on with an oncoming car because his NA had no acceleration at our altitude.

Scooter (nightamer) put the stage 2 on his NA and it ran a lot better. He could keep up with the GXPs at altitude much better and in many cases could get the jump on the turbo because of the low end efficiency of the SC.

Once we went to high flow cats and a tune on the GXPs, the stage 2 car was again at a significant dissadvantage. he could keep up but he had to work a lot harder and generally was always catching up rather than staying with.

He went to the stage 3 and the cars were again pretty even. The stage 3 could have a slight advantage due to the SC not needing to spool up, but soon, like a car length or two, the turbo car was back even or slightly ahead.

The cost for taking the NA to a similar performance level as a tuned GXP is generally more than the cost of starting with a GXP and adding a tune and cat.

But I have to admit, the sound of the SC is pretty cool.

Of course, once he caught up with Punisher I dropped the hammer with the LS motor. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
I have an NA with a Hann Stage 11 kit on it I will be upgrading to their stage 111 kit ,for less than 5 grand in the motor I have a car that's fun to drive in the real world and I don't have the maintenance issues that a lot of GXP's have .Bottom line it's a trade off and to me a lot depends on the car you are looking at I enjoy upgrading my cars and looked for a car in my color combination for a while and finally found an NA and I don't regret it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey Rein, I had an 03 350z a few years ago. I put on new sways and lowering springs (1"). I got to say it handled pretty nice. When switching to the Solstice you notice that it feels lighter and a bit more nimble (obviously because of the weight 2900 vs. 3300 lbs).

To me it was more of a feel thing, but I think as far as performance they probably handle about the same. I really miss the power of the z compared to my n/a. If you have the money now to drop into an n/a I would say go for it. If not, I would get the gxp because you will have about the same acceleration as the z and you won't feel like you downgraded.

It's funny that you say you are upgrading to a Solstice. To me the Solstice and 350z are in the same class of sports cars.

Btw, didn't want to sell the z. I had to so I could buy a house... When looking at sports cars again I went to test drive a local solstice and a z roadster. Let's just say I never made it to the z roadster, lol.
[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Long story short: GXP is a few thousand more typically, but more ready out the box. NA can be upgraded to meet or exceed the GXP, but you'll end up spending a bit more over the long run. It's a wash.

That's why I think it only comes down to personal choice. I think the front end looks nicer on the NA, and the larger displacement gives a deeper tone for the exhaust. Not nearly as buzzy as the GXP.

·
Premium Member
17,541 Posts
I have an NA with a Hann Stage 11 kit on it I will be upgrading to their stage 111 kit ,for less than 5 grand in the motor I have a car that's fun to drive in the real world and I don't have the maintenance issues that a lot of GXP's have .Bottom line it's a trade off and to me a lot depends on the car you are looking at I enjoy upgrading my cars and looked for a car in my color combination for a while and finally found an NA and I don't regret it.
Good answer.:thumbs:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hey Rein, I had an 03 350z a few years ago. I put on new sways and lowering springs (1"). I got to say it handled pretty nice. When switching to the Solstice you notice that it feels lighter and a bit more nimble (obviously because of the weight 2900 vs. 3300 lbs).

To me it was more of a feel thing, but I think as far as performance they probably handle about the same. I really miss the power of the z compared to my n/a. If you have the money now to drop into an n/a I would say go for it. If not, I would get the gxp because you will have about the same acceleration as the z and you won't feel like you downgraded.

It's funny that you say you are upgrading to a Solstice. To me the Solstice and 350z are in the same class of sports cars.

Btw, didn't want to sell the z. I had to so I could buy a house... When looking at sports cars again I went to test drive a local solstice and a z roadster. Let's just say I never made it to the z roadster, lol.
I say upgrading because they are so much newer and much lower miles than my current Z for roughly the same price. I just seen a 07 GXP with 36k for 12900. Same I paid for my 03 Z at 66k. Plus power in the GXP will be well beyond the DE when I do some bolt ons :)

Thanks to everyone who replied! If I were in the mood to do an LS swap I would probably go NA, but I think the Turbo 4 will be great for me right now. So GXP it is! now just to sell the Z and find a nice Sol.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Thanks to everyone who replied! If I were in the mood to do an LS swap I would probably go NA, but I think the Turbo 4 will be great for me right now. So GXP it is! now just to sell the Z and find a nice Sol.
Congrats ! No matter which car you went with the bottom line is it's a Solstice and this forum is filled with members who have modified each model and we have a group who have done or own V8 swaps and are always willing to share information that's the great part of this forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea, so far this board is much more noob friendly than the 350z forums. Anytime someone new asks a complicated question that CAN be solved via 20 hours of searching, but is easier to draw on the experienced members, it ends up getting locked from all the A** holes saying "F*ing search you noob"

Looking forward to being more active on here than I was on my350z. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
nice sol right here. $16K with all the bolt ons installed! a werks wr-2 turbo upgrade will send you well over the 400 mark. honestly a wr-1 will get you really damn close for $1200ish.

Trifecta tuned (not the budget tune and will include the tuning cable for updates)
water/methanol injection
dejon intake
phenolic manifold and throttle body spacers
turbosmart 50/50 BOV/BPV ( recirculated 50% back to the turbo and vents 50% to atmosphere)
DDM IC tubes
HAHN intercooler
Solo high flow cat
3 inch magnaflow exhaust

almost perfect condition (a couple of small rock chips on the front end) and SUPER clean body, interior, and engine bay.

62K miles, new water pump installed by a GM dealer at 36K and had a transmission flush and fill at the same time.

consistent 13.13 sec quarter mile on goodyear eagle F1 all season tires. if i had some sticky drag radials it would easily be a 12 second car since my first 100 feet are spent trying to keep traction.

pics in the link below in my signature area

1 - 20 of 25 Posts