Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
It is one of their issues coming up. December issue maybe?

I'd ask what it was runner up to, but MT COY is an award that really goes to the highest bigger anyway. I know, they claim it isn't, and some other people defend them, but when a magazine requires each manufacturer to submit a "marketing plan" showing how they will display their golden calipers with the car in advertisements, I have to question whether the award is won or bought.

Plus, it helps explain a lot of their past winners. I doubt any Plymouth Horizon/Dodge Omni was ever good enough to win the award. The last time a Caprice won it, it shouldn't have. The 1993 Ford Probe over the redesigned F-bodies? Please! (and I am a big fan of the Probe, having owned 2 of them!).

I am anxious to see whether it earns the NA COY award at the NAIAS. That award is voted on by the press as a whole!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
TerpFan said:
My vote is still for the Porsche Cayman, but the new Z06 may have taken the crown.
I could see MT giving it to the Z06. It is an awesome car for the price.

I just wonder how they will play the "market significance" angle, since the Sol, and it's 16,000 pre orders really solidify it's market significance in it's segment. Not to mention value as it is the cheapest roadster by far, aside from the MX-5.

Ah well, I guess I am just being a homer. There are a lot of good new cars for the 2006 MY!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fformula88 said:

I just wonder how they will play the "market significance" angle, since the Sol, and it's 16,000 pre orders really solidify it's market significance in it's segment. Not to mention value as it is the cheapest roadster by far, aside from the MX-5.

Ah well, I guess I am just being a homer. There are a lot of good new cars for the 2006 MY!
I think the styling is important , its been voted as sexest car in america the price is great and its a brand new car on the market and the market angle should help it. People that did not know about the car, when they see it live its instant love. The big guns have been aroud a long time ,they have refined there cars but this is a totally new design from ground up i THINK IT HAS A GOOD CHANCE OF WINNING

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
stang said:
You're wrong about the Probe! That car deserved it. :yesnod:
Having owned a 2nd generation Probe, I am not so sure.

Actually, I just pulled the article (I was a BIG Probe fan, remember) :lol:

Competition was not too stiff. Back then, the COY was just new domestic offerings. That doesn't exclude import badged cars, but they had to have enough domestic parts content to be EPA classified as a domestic. The 1993 Probe beat out the 1993 Chevy Camaro Z28, Dodge Intrepid ES, Lincoln Mark VIII, Mazda 626 ES (shared platform with Probe), Mazda MX-6 LS (also shared platform with Probe), Firebird Trans Am, Nissan Quest GXE, Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, and Geo Prizm LSi.

Competition wasn't too stiff aside from the f-bodies.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Having owned a 2nd generation Probe, I am not so sure.

Actually, I just pulled the article (I was a BIG Probe fan, remember) :lol:

Competition was not too stiff. Back then, the COY was just new domestic offerings. That doesn't exclude import badged cars, but they had to have enough domestic parts content to be EPA classified as a domestic. The 1993 Probe beat out the 1993 Chevy Camaro Z28, Dodge Intrepid ES, Lincoln Mark VIII, Mazda 626 ES (shared platform with Probe), Mazda MX-6 LS (also shared platform with Probe), Firebird Trans Am, Nissan Quest GXE, Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, and Geo Prizm LSi.

Competition wasn't too stiff aside from the f-bodies.
Loved my 1993 Probe! It's the best car I ever owned. I never had a problem with the car either, it just got old and I needed something newer. I still have all the car mags and brochures for it. Glad to meet another fan. :cool:

I always thought that the F-bodies were too fat and flat. The windshield and front overhang killed it for me.

Geo :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
stang said:
Loved my 1993 Probe! It's the best car I ever owned. I never had a problem with the car either, it just got old and I needed something newer. I still have all the car mags and brochures for it. Glad to meet another fan. :cool:

I always thought that the F-bodies were too fat and flat. The windshield and front overhang killed it for me.

Geo :lol:
I had a 91 and 97 Probe. Loved both, but that 97 was built very cheeply compared to the 91. Maybe the 93 was better, and cost cutting had undermined the car by 97. Still, I loved both. I only got rid of that 97 because of chronic transmission problems. It's 3rd was on the way out and the warranty was up, so I decided it had to go (only 41K miles on it too!). Maybe it was just a lemon too, but it had a host of other minor problems besides that bad tranny, which added together do not make for the best vehicle. Still, it rode nice and was a LOT of fun to drive. I really liked that car, and wished it had been more reliable for me! I liked it enough I would have bought another, had they continued to make it. But the 99-02 Cougar just didn't do it for me.

I too still have the brochure (97), the MT article (a photocopy) and a bunch of other stuff.

I also didn't like the F-body. I test drove one as a possible replacement to my Probe (a 1998 MY Camaro) and felt like I was piloting the Titanic. Push the gas and it went like crazy, but that is all I liked about it. The car was just too big/long for my tastes. It was fast, and that was fun, but I really missed having a more tossable car.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had an 89 Probe. I absolutely loved that car. Only problem was, by the time I got rid of it, I had replaced the engine AND transaxle (it is a FWD car, transmissions only exist on RWD) other than that, when she ran, she ran good. I actually ended up getting rid of her and picking up a 94 Z28. That was my baby.

·
5,600 Posts
Fformula88 said:

Homer, or no I would think the Solstice would be a shoe-in for Car of the Year, if and only if, it is a truly good sports car.

While the Z06 may be a great car, there are so many options at that price that even if the Z06 beats them all, it still is one among many.

But the Solstice is the 1st car to do what the Miata pioneered - being a fabulous sports car for the masses at a very affordable price. I completely agree with your feeling that the Solstice is more significant in its market segment than the Z06 is within its market segment.

The Cayman may be a sweet sports car but it too is one among many in its market segment.

Not only is the Solstice the obvious choice, but the very lack of any competitor to the Miata for 15 years makes it doubly significant that an American car company has produced a remarkable affordable sports car that really works well.

·
5,600 Posts
dave clancy said:
I heard the solstice was a runner up. When will they announce the winner?
I haven't seen the candidates announced yet. What cars are being considered for COTY? Or is this some kind of on-line voting poll?

·
5,600 Posts
dave clancy said:
The big guns have been aroud a long time ,they have refined there cars but this is a totally new design from ground up i THINK IT HAS A GOOD CHANCE OF WINNING
You are right. I hadn't even thought of the fact that this is an all new car. The Cayman is just a Boxster Coupe, after all. And the Z06, while exhibiting stellar performance, is still based on the good old American Vette.

The Solstice's being a brand new car, never-before seen, should be another huge factor in its winning COTY. Makes things interesting to see what the real winner will be and whether it will make Car & Driver's 10 best.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I had a 91 and 97 Probe. Loved both, but that 97 was built very cheeply compared to the 91. Maybe the 93 was better, and cost cutting had undermined the car by 97. Still, I loved both. I only got rid of that 97 because of chronic transmission problems. It's 3rd was on the way out and the warranty was up, so I decided it had to go (only 41K miles on it too!). Maybe it was just a lemon too, but it had a host of other minor problems besides that bad tranny, which added together do not make for the best vehicle. Still, it rode nice and was a LOT of fun to drive. I really liked that car, and wished it had been more reliable for me! I liked it enough I would have bought another, had they continued to make it. But the 99-02 Cougar just didn't do it for me.

I too still have the brochure (97), the MT article (a photocopy) and a bunch of other stuff.

I also didn't like the F-body. I test drove one as a possible replacement to my Probe (a 1998 MY Camaro) and felt like I was piloting the Titanic. Push the gas and it went like crazy, but that is all I liked about it. The car was just too big/long for my tastes. It was fast, and that was fun, but I really missed having a more tossable car.

Yeah, I've heard that 95-97 was a downward slide for the Probe. Ford had given up on the car by then. Heck, even Mazda had abandoned its sports car roots for the "near luxury" realm. Only the Miata remained until the Zoom-Zoom came out. My brother has a Cougar. It's a nice car, but it's no Probe GT. It's not nearly as playful.

I thought I wanted a Firebird at one time, but crossed it off my list for the same reasons you did the Camero. Plus, GM always had those huge radios that made it hard to replace and the interior was really cheap compared to everything else.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
jimbo said:
I haven't seen the candidates announced yet. What cars are being considered for COTY? Or is this some kind of on-line voting poll?
They generally consider every new or significantly revised 2006 model year vehicle on sale by Jan 1, 2006. Of course, it is also contingent on manufacturers sending them a car and "entering" the COTY competition. They always end up with a couple manufacturers that leave cars home. I am sure the Sol will be a part.

When speaking of Motor Trend, they have some set criteria, and it seems somewhat fluid from year to year. Overall, however, they generally pick the car that represents a combination of being the best value in it's class, standout styling that creates a new benchmark for the class, standout drivetrain that creates a new benchmark in it's class, market significance in it's class. The Sol sure would win on all these fronts. It is the best value in it's class, at least at the base level. It's styling is sure is a standout in classes costing twice as much, making it that much more impressive at this price level. The drivetrain isn't really any better than the Miatas overall, but it is right there with the Miata. It certainly has market significance as it is almost sold out already, and will outsell the new MX-5 for 2006.

I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

Probe: It must have been some slide!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts