Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The December issue of Motor Trend has published the 1st of what is certain to be many comparisons between the Sosltice and MX-5 for 2006 and their conclusion is that the MX-5 is the better sports car.

According to Motor Trend, "All things considered, Mazda is still the established master of the compact, affordable roadster game."

Now don't go out and cancel your orders and don't cry in your beers that a magazine finds the MX-5 to be the better sports car. Mazda has a 15-year head start on buidling these things and probably has a slim cost advantage over GM as well.

That doesn't mean the MX-5 is a better car for me. And we have yet to see the other comparisons. But for now, it's MX-5, 1, Sosltice, 0. Actually it could be 2 to 0, as the folks over at Miata.net report that the December issue of Car & Driver picks the MX-5 over the Solstice as well.

Let the tears flow and the grieving begin. As for me, I'll take my red GXP and you won't be able to wipe the smile off my face.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
jimbo said:
The December issue of Motor Trend has published the 1st of what is certain to be many comparisons between the Sosltice and MX-5 for 2006 and their conclusion is that the MX-5 is the better sports car.

According to Motor Trend, "All things considered, Mazda is still the established master of the compact, affordable roadster game."

Now don't go out and cancel your orders and don't cry in your beers that a magazine finds the MX-5 to be the better sports car. Mazda has a 15-year head start on buidling these things and probably has a slim cost advantage over GM as well.

That doesn't mean the MX-5 is a better car for me. And we have yet to see the other comparisons. But for now, it's MX-5, 1, Sosltice, 0. Actually it could be 2 to 0, as the folks over at Miata.net report that the December issue of Car & Driver picks the MX-5 over the Solstice as well.

Let the tears flow and the grieving begin. As for me, I'll take my red GXP and you won't be able to wipe the smile off my face.

I wonder who had the most advertising in these magazines? Or would that label me as a pessimist? or a conspiracy therorist? :leaving:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
It's kinda like movie reviews. Critics pick one thing, the public picks something else. US consumers are making the Solstice #1. But frankly, would you really buy a car based on magazine reviews? ;)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Editguy said:
It's kinda like movie reviews. Critics pick one thing, the public picks something else. US consumers are making the Solstice #1. But frankly, would you really buy a car based on magazine reviews? ;)
Who reads the articles? I just look at the pictures :lol:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Marco said:
Who reads the articles? I just look at the pictures :lol:
:glol: I think it's the truth. I browse those mags in Walmart to look at the pics. I do read my Super Chevy, though.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Editguy said:
If you did we would all be driving a Prius. They could start exploding and the Press would call it a feature. :lol:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Soap Bar or Solstice........You Choose!

jimbo said:

Guess you didn't read the other 50 magazines that picked the Solstice over the Soap Bar, I mean Miata...... :lol:

·
2,574 Posts
You know, if they compare the Masda with the Elise then the Masda loses. It may be that the Masda in it's current stock form leaves the factory more able to tick off points that qualify it more as a "sportscar" in these guys eyes, and I don't necessarily disagree with that. For me, however the Solstice ticks off many, many more points that qualify it as a "birdliver" car than the Masda does or the Sky does either for that matter. I will not be surprised to see more reviews like this unless or until the reviewers believe that the Solstice can more readily be thrown around by making mods to the wheels, or it's lightened up a bit or given a different gearbox, or it's made more responsive at lower rpm, or this or that or whatever. It's the sportscar for me that I am certain of and that's all that matters. By the way, not to compare it to the Masda or anything else but when did you say the Turbo is being launched? :lol:

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Maybe some details are in order. From the article:

"The biggest number to crunch is 402 - as in how many pounds heavier the Solstice is than the MX-5, at least based on these two test cars. Mazda's made a lot of noise about how lightness has been 'engineered in' to the MX-5, but it's legit. It's this weight differential that sets the tone for this pair's relative performance and driving personas. The objective numbers are close; the subjective differences between them are greater."

"The Pontiac turns in sharply and has good front-end bite, staying neutral until the limit is approached, then it fades to mild understeer. 'The chassis works well and is predictable,' notes test-driver Chris Walton, 'but it feels like it's getting away with more because the tires are so wide.' The MX-5 is more knife-edged and precise, staying neutral longer. It's also more easily provoked into oversteer. 'It reminded me of a junior version of the Lotus Elise,' says Walton. 'There's a fair amount of roll, but it sticks well, with communication, and is so precise that I could make mid-corner adjustments.' "

"Even though the MX-5 has less torque, the close-ratio six-speed helps keep the engine on boil. It makes a lusty combination of intake, mechanical, and exhaust noises and always feels ready to play. The Solstice's Ecotec four isn't the smoothest lump ever born, yet it has a pleasant exhaust note and isn't too thrashy. It's not as eager to rev as the Miata motor and gets the job done with midrange torque instead of top-end power. There's a considerable RPM falloff on the 2-3 shift; a six-speed would make a serious difference."

"Both cars ride well considering their handing-biased mission. The Solstice's wider track, longer wheelbase, greater weight, and milder springing give it the advantage here. Mid-corner bumps more easily upset the MX-5, while the Solstice stays planted with no side stepping, for the same reasons noted above. Both have well-weighted, communicative steering, and their structures feel solid and structurally sound."

"Inside the Solstice's wraparound IP is all about the driver. It's got more legroom than the MX-5 and feels wider, too. Tops up, the Pontiac has more headroom by several inches."

"Plastics and other materials are of good quality, a smidge ahead of the Solstice's. The MX-5's longer wheelbase improves cabin room compared with the previous Miata, although it's still snug for over-six-footers. Tie game in terms of seats; both have chairs bolstered well enough to keep you in place when corner carving, yet comfy enough for everyday use and long hauls."

"General Motors can take pride in what it's accomplished. The Solstice is a real sporsts car and not the topless poseur enthusiasts feared (Jimbo's emphasis). It'll sell on looks and value alone. But if the Solstice is a solid runner, the MX-5 is a fleet-footed sprinter, delivering a more athletic, lithe drive in most every respect."

"The MX-5's engine is smoother and happier to rev than the Solstice's. The MX-5 has a more communicative chassis and it feels every one of those 400 pounds lighter and more responsive than the Pontiac. This Grand Touring model, as equipped with the optional Sport Suspension package (revised anti-roll bars, Bilstein shocks, limited-slip diff), won every performance contest, although the margins were small."

"All things considered, Mazda is still the established master of the compact affordable roadster game.

Performance Data:

0-60 times:
MX-5 = 6.6 sec
Solstice = 6.7 sec

Quarter mile:
MX-5 = 15.1 @ 91.2
Solstice = 15.3 @ 89.6

600-ft Slalom speed:
MX-5 = 66.5 mph
Solstice = 66.1 mph

60-0 Braking:
MX-5 = 113 ft
Solstice = 117 ft

RPMs in Top Gear @ 60 MPH
MX-5 = 2950 RPM
Solstice = 2250

Fuel Economy as tested:
MX-5 = 20.6
Solstice = 19.6

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ntouched said:
Guess you didn't read the other 50 magazines that picked the Solstice over the Soap Bar, I mean Miata...... :lol:
To the best of my knowledge, this is the 1st published comparison between the Solstice and the MX-5. Lots of magazines have sung high praises for the Sosltice, but in a direct face off with the affordable sports car bench mark, this is the 1st one out.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
birdliver said:
By the way, not to compare it to the Masda or anything else but when did you say the Turbo is being launched? :lol:
Mazda not Masda. ;)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
stang said:
What magazine are we talking about? :leaving:

Hold on, let me check the previous post's...................................................................................................................................................Motor Trend, of course!

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Solstice is a great car but it does not have a great motor. Give it one, and the press will acknowledge that. In the meantime, the GXP turbocharged Ecotec should be a very good motor.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Editguy said:
Looks:
MX5 = 0
Solstice = 100
I hate Miatas, but let's be fair:

Looks:
MX5 = 6
Solstice = 99

1 - 20 of 91 Posts