Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am surprised that no one has noted that Motor Trends (October issue) New Car Guide lists the "2006 Pontiac Solstice" on page 129. The short paragraph reads as follows: "As the prodigy of GM car czar Bob Lutz, the Solstice is on the fast track from concept to production. Using hydroformed steel and spaceframe construction, the classic proportions of the show car are being transferred to the new rear-drive Kappa architecture. A 2.4-liter variable-valve-timing version of the Ecotec four, targeted to put out 170 horses, is mated to a five-speed manual gearbox. Four-wheel independent suspension, near-ideal weight distribution, 18-inch wheels purshed out to the corners, and a base price of about $20,000 promise ear-to-ear grins :yesnod when the Solstice bows in late 2005."

Nothing new there. The "yesnod" is mine.

I notice that the mag's listing for the Toyota MR2 Spyder says "Model year 2005 is the MR2's last". I didn't know that.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Do you think the magazines are as hard up for information as we are, that they keep rehashing the same data? To bad for the MR2, too underpowered. Still, hopefully we will all be proud owners of a new American ICON. (Build It Soon!)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If you read this [THREAD] I started, it has the official press release. The 2005 MY is the end of the line for the MR2 Spyder and Celica in the USA.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I saw the Motor Trend writeup. I didn’t throw up a post as it really didn’t give us anything we didn’t already know. I am sure the mags would like more information too, especially if they can get it before their competitors!

Losing the MR2 is not a huge disaster from a sales volume perspective. Toyota really only sells a couple thousand a year (about 1700 last year I believe). One local dealer near me still has a brand new 2003 MY MR2 on its lot.

I do think the Celica is a loss. The Celica is a good looking and performing car. They are trying to replace it with the TC which has some advantages. Its 2.4L engine has much more torque and a wider powerband than the 1.8L screamer in the Celica. However, the car is much heavier which I am sure will hurt its handling and driving feel in comparison to the Celica. I would have rather seen Toyota do some styling updates to the Celica and drop in the larger 4 banger myself.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
hoffman said:
Nothing new there. The "yesnod" is mine.

I notice that the mag's listing for the Toyota MR2 Spyder says "Model year 2005 is the MR2's last". I didn't know that.
I'm actually glad that Motor Trend didn't contradict the established "facts". It seems to get us all worked up when some magazine publishes out of date or misinformation. I only want to hear differing info if it comes from GM at this point. No sleep lost over the MR2, and trading the Celica for the TC is a mistake, but oh well, just an opporunity for a domestic company to jump into that spot with a really great coupe! :thumbs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts