Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went ahead and puchased the hideaway front plate system even though after a bit of research, it seems that most people do not think they work all that well on an na...seem to be better adapted to the GXP.

I currently am running a Brassiere to hide the multitude of rock chips, scratches and dings in the bumper cover...so do not laugh at my poor front end.

Monday, I installed the system on the car and the first two pictures show the results. Seems to stick out a bit further than I would like when retracted...too visible and ugly.

Today, I moved the sytem back about an inch or so. Seems a bit better but still kind of visible when retracted. Maybe I will learn to live with it. Maybe it will look better outside when the weather co-operates around here.

The angle of the plate is kind of steep now so hopefully the cops won't stop me for that...not being 90 degrees to the road surface.

Brassiere back on and can tell the difference as to where the plate was located. I do have a new no plate bra coming.

Yes, I know, the plate is a little low to the ground but I have been driving LBC'c (Little British Cars) for years and I am quite aware of low hanging front ends and exhaust systems and how to avoid damage!

I think the system could have been built a bit stronger. The plate holder is plastic and bends/warps quite easily. May try to make a stronger one from sheet metal and hope the motor will accept the weight. I guess time will tell as to how long this thing will last.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Two more shots to show how I mounted the system. May go back in and use a stronger brace for the front bracket. The front bracket is held to the plastic with plastic body rivets and the back brace is screwed in using factory location and bolts.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,547 Posts
That is an ingenius design. Well done.

I have been running without a front plate in Colorado for 7 years.

I copied a solution a friend came up with. He put two carriage bolts through the plate protruding to the rear. Then he put some plastic conduit surrounded by flexible foam over the threaded portion. They are retained by a nut and washer. The spacing on the two carriage bolt assemblies allows them to slide into two holes in the front grilles where the friction of the foam and air pressure from forward motion combine to hold the plate firmly in place. It goes into the trunk when not displayed.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Way to go Riggs314!!!! Anytime you can get that plate off of the grills it is a win! Did not think you could to do it on a NA. You should think about after market grills now!:willy: I have the chrome black race mesh grills and love them. They would look very cool on your ride. The pictures on Parts For your Car site of the retractable plate and race mesh grills are of my Sol.:thumbs:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts