Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just saw an episode of Motorweek from today, I think (had it cued up on my DVR). They reviewed the BMW 6-series convertible. I've seen pictures and descriptions of how the top and rear window work in this car, but until just now, I hadn't seen it in action. It's VERY slick! I only hope that Pontiac has something like that top up their sleeve for us.

I don't care if its power or manual, actually I'd prefer manual for the weight savings. What I'm talking about is the fact that the rear window is independant of the top. It is a power window that slides up and down nearly vertically. It can serve as a wind buffer when the top is down, and be lowered for better ventilation when the top is up. Another cool thing is that the top can be put up or down at speeds up to 20 MPH. Of course, I'm comparing apples to oranges since the Beamer is a $76,000+ car. But we can hope, right?

I want to see the finalized Solstice top NOW! The suspense is killing me!

Next week's Motorweek will have reviews of the Bonnie GXP and Lotus Elise. Can't wait!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
That 6 series top is one slick design! I doubt we will see something that slick in the Solstice. I would bet its almost definately going to be a manual top, and I would wager the window will be attached to the top. In the old Honda Del Sol's, the rear window raised and lowerd and it had a window switch on the drivers door for it. There is no such button for a third rear power window on the prototype's door switch panel which leads me to believe the rear window won't be a seperate power operated one. But if they throw that feature onto the car, I certainly won't complain! :thumbs

The slickest top I have seen so far is the Cadillac XLR hardtop. I was watching it go up and down at the Detroit Auto Show. That thing must have a million parts, and looks like it will be a reliability nightmare when the cars get older! :crazy

I think the Porsche 911 convertable's top can also be lowered at speed, up to 31 MPH I believe. It seems to be the latest new feature for convertables, and will probably filter down to the more affordable class of vehicles in a few years. Maybe not the Solstice if its top is manual, but most convertables anyway.

Have you seen the Mini Convertable? Its pretty slick too. The portion over the drivers compartment folds back to open up a sunroof without the whole top needing to be retracted. Thats a pretty cool feature too!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts