Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested in a drive up to the top of Mount Baker this summer? The state DOT guys will clear the road up to the ski area and Artists Point summit in July, it only stays open for a few summer months and is quite spectacular on a clear day. I drove up last year and the road is awesome, really twisty and fun to drive with some amazing photo op spots beside crystal clear mountain lakes.

If anyone wants to come along I will (likely) plan for a drive in late August after some of the other summer events are over with. The drive from Bellingham is fairly easy and return to Bellingham along the same route, lunch at the start or dinner at the end would be easy to arrange.

Please post if interested or if you have a preferred date/time. Thanx.

Click link for pics from last summer: Mount Baker - a set on Flickr

:cheers:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Any preferred weekends? I was thinking either the 18th or 25th. (Two dates so we have a back up day in case the weather sucks)

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I've got a culinary event I do on the August long weekend but anything else is pretty open right now.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am away between Aug 8th and 16th too.

So is the 25th bad?

The August long weekend is Aug 6th and Labour Day is Sept 3rd

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Current state of the roads up Baker, photos from WSDOT road clearing crews: (click link below)

SR 542, Clearing the road to Artist Point - 2012 - a set on Flickr

Also, if we want we could have people from the Fraser valley cross the border in Sumas and join us by driving down route 547 to route 542 (542 is Mount Baker Hwy and takes you up to the ski area and Artists Point summit area).

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Hmm - from the pics I'd say we need a couple of months yet!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Oh crap, that sounds like a drive that would be a blast! Too bad I'm so far away... :(

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm - from the pics I'd say we need a couple of months yet!
Don't worry by late August there will be very little snow on or near the road, but it does take the road crew a few weeks to carve out the road to the top. Once cleared it will melt quickly in the sun.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well WSDOT updated their gallery of snow clearing with a few more pics and some pretty cool videos of the bulldozer and industrial snowblower clearing the road. They said they hope to open artists point by late July early August so it all looks good for the 25th of August.

Here's a link to the snow clearing efforts (as of July 13th):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/sets/72157630223564470/

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Is this run going to be in lieu of the Mt. St. Helen's Run?
Sounds like a pretty outrageous place to take some pics of Kappa's & Snowy Peaks!
Might have to consider this run.

Host for the 2012 PNWR 4th Annual Regionals
July 19-22, 2012 Clarkston, WA
http://www.portlandroadsters.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=1

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Squirrel - you really must get on Facebook, like all the rest of us.

Ouch was that a deer or something else?

BTW I will never join facebook, no chance in hell. I'd rather post on this forum so anyone can read our posts/discussions, facebook is a closed system for members only, it sucks balls, and I don't think it is inviting for new or new-ish car club members they can't see any of the discussions because it's behind a facebook screen. In contrast, this site is a car oriented site open for anyone to read and I'd rather be here thank you very much. (you don't have to "like" what I just said either)

But that is getting off topic, when did you hit this whatever? Are you in the process of having it repaired or is it sitting in your front yard waiting for another modded bumper?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts