Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the GXP a couple of years ago as an inexpensive and short term car that I could play with and have some fun on a budget. I gradually stepped up along the typical modification path finally ending with a Werks EFR6758 running on E54 and the basic supporting mods: Werks intercooler, Snow stage 2 methanol injection, etc. It's a fantastic setup that is a lot of fun and has been completely reliable and trouble free. Let me say that after almost 20 years of playing with turbo and supercharged Fox body Mustangs, trouble free and reliable were things that I had never experienced before in a modified car lol.

But I was itching for a new project and I thought the day had come to finally move on from the Solstice -- most likely into a Corvette. However, after having driven a bunch of C6/C7 vettes in all flavors I wasn't particularly blown away compared to my little EFR'ed 2.0. Now the plan was always to add a blower to the Vette but once you look at the price of a used C7 plus 8k for a blower you're talking about big jump in budget from a Kappa.

So, I decided to save my pennies and hold on the go kart until something really catches my fancy. But being an engineer I can't leave well enough alone. There's not a whole lot left to do but I've become intrigued with the EFR7163 and wondering if I could get another 50-60hp out of this platform. So the 7163 is on order. [email protected] is putting it together. I will most likely be selling my 6758 as a complete kit. In the mean time I am working on a few supporting mods in preparation. I figure I will use this thread as a single point to document the changes for anyone that would like to follow along.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I saw a trick direct port meth injection setup over on the Cobalt board and knew that I had to have one too. I'm a big fan of meth injection in general and this is the right way to do it. I haven't installed it yet but the completed intake manifold is back in my possession.

Current setup:

New direct port configuration:

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Whoa, that looks awesome! I've been interest in meth - was your previous setup just a single injector?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoa, that looks awesome! I've been interest in meth - was your previous setup just a single injector?
Yes the first picture is what I currently have -- a single nozzle before the throttle body. That setup works great for charge cooling but is not as effective for controlling KR evenly across the cylinders.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time to upgrade the meth controller as well. I had been running the old stage 2 controller (pictured) that I had on the Mustang. This works fine for general charge cooling but the max boost that you can set for 100% is 19psi. This means that any boost above 19psi just flatlines at 100%. For actual KR tuning I will need a little more flexibility. I went with the Snow VC-50 as it will control to 50psi. What's nice about having such a high boost capability is that even at 27psi I can still run the pump at less than 100%. Handy if your nozzles are a little too big although mine shouldn't be.

Old controller:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Old setup, boost gauge and LEDs for the meth system:

VC-50 install along with DDM Works dual guage pod pillar:

Ran the wiring through the dead pedal to keep away from the clutch pedal:

Install complete:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Manifold installed. Check out the new HPFP setup.

View attachment 106558
I love the set up, but one of the biggest drawbacks is that the ecu is not going to know that the IAT are lower, since the injection is after the map.

I am not too familiar with meth tuning, how are you going to adjust the fuel ratio/lambda? do you have to use the lean the PE table since more fuel is coming or do you have to adjust the injector constant or both?

I really want to add meth injection just to keep the piston ringlands happy, I was looking at the snow performance stage 1 with a small nozzle.

Are you planning to drag race your car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a project. I'll figure it out as I go. The main objective is to minimize the thermal load on the ring lands and to buy extra margin to KR. I can always add in a fifth nozzle at the original injection point if that proves to be beneficial. The car is strictly a daily driver. [email protected] has been doing the tuning.

·
Super Moderator
6,274 Posts
I love the set up, but one of the biggest drawbacks is that the ecu is not going to know that the IAT are lower, since the injection is after the map.
Thanks!
I believe that "cooling the mixture" with meth injection is not the same as "cooling the intake air". Cooling the intake air makes for a denser charge, and is important to the MAF becuse it has to measure the actual mass flow rate to get the fuel/air ratio correct. Cooling the mixture reduces detonation, and does not affect the fuel/air ratio, so it can and really should be done after the MAF.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I believe that "cooling the mixture" with meth injection is not the same as "cooling the intake air". Cooling the intake air makes for a denser charge, and is important to the MAF becuse it has to measure the actual mass flow rate to get the fuel/air ratio correct. Cooling the mixture reduces detonation, and does not affect the fuel/air ratio, so it can and really should be done after the MAF.
Actually water/meth does two things:
Raise octane and lower IATs

Both play an important role in knock prevention.

MAF does not play a role unless you place the nozzle before the MAF, the wideband actually adjust the fuel ratio. The MAF measures the IAT 1 and the MAP measures IAT 2. The ecu uses the IAT 2 to determine if it adds or subtracts timing. That's why you want the nozzle before it enters the manifold, so you can actually measure how cool the IATs are. Placing a nozzle in front each cylinder is much effective way to deliver water/meth, but the ecu might no be able to detect the cooler IATs.

Remember Meth is a type a fuel and water cannot be combust, so you are adding more fuel to your fuel mixture and water is taking space so less air the end result is a rich mixture.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts