Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Pretty sure it comes with an input for an iPod so I would assume that you could use any type of MP3 player with it, you would just need a cord with two male ends on it to go from the player to the stereo. If you get the next radio up it comes with a MP3 capable CD player so you can just burn your MP3s to CD and play them that way. That's what I plan on doing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think there is an input for a player. The CD player is able to read CDs with MP3 files on them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sully.. hello from golden, CO. If there isnt an input then I will buy the mp3 cd player upgrade for sure. If there is one then I wont get it. Keep in touch sully. Hopefully both of us will have the solstice and we can ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For some reason I thought I read that an mp3 input would be available. After doing a quick search through the FAQs again, it seems I was imagining things. Doesn't mean there isn't an mp3 input, it could still be there, but it's something the experts of the solstice will have to confirm.

Also, if you take a look at this picture of the solstice interior (http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=156&sort=2&cat=3012&page=1)
then you will see there is a small input hole in the lower right corner of the deck -- I can only presume that's an exterior audio input (aka for your iPod/mp3 player).

EDIT: Oops, maybe I should google before I reply. According the the MP3 Player Blog, the solstice (And other gm vehicles) will indeed have an auxilary input. :yesnod:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am sure there are MP3 player inputs on all the stereos . . . I am confident I read that on the forum somewhere . . . I just can't recall where

·
Registered
189 Posts
There was another thread talking about this earlier, they are starting to incorporate pm3 player inputs in the stereo of some cars, I think VW bug, I know certain BMWs do, and I think they are all Ipod, which I have, a good alternative though is alpine decks, they have downloading software and a dock you can buy that makes the player navigatable from the deck itself(Ipod only of course) needless to say, I hope they accomodate Ipods somehow! Ive got one of the best FM tuners on the market for it right now I believe, but it still gets old sometimes, and a bit hard to manage while driving.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I've heard this too. The input jack should allow for iPod, Dell DJ and all the other MP3 players to play in your car. The advantage of the MP3 player over MP3 CD's is that you have about 800mb on a CD vs 5gb of space on most MP3 players. It will be great for long trips! :thumbs:

·
Registered
189 Posts
stang said:
I've heard this too. The input jack should allow for iPod, Dell DJ and all the other MP3 players to play in your car. The advantage of the MP3 player over MP3 CD's is that you have about 800mb on a CD vs 5gb of space on most MP3 players. It will be great for long trips! :thumbs:
40GB here! woooooooot! :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Official info:

Accoridng to the fastlane blog all the radios have what is called an AUX input. This is just an Auxilary line that can be used with any device that outputs to a stereo headphone jack.

Only the two uplevel radios play MP3 CD's however. The base radio is a single plain CD radio. The 2nd level radio adds MP3 CD ability and more advanced equalizer support along with road speed volume control, 3rd level radio is the same as 2nd but 6-CD. The two uplevel radios also offer TheftLock where the base model doesn't.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I've been in a Corvette convertible with the speed volume control and it was really neat. The volume adjustment was very smooth. You could not even tell it was working unless you punched the gas or slammed the brakes. This is an option worth getting. ;)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Our Azz has the speed volume adjustment. It is definitely handy. It has 3 settings, one that boosts a little, one a little more, and one alot.

I would imagine the Sol will work the same way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
simmonsmb said:
Pretty sure it comes with an input for an iPod so I would assume that you could use any type of MP3 player with it, you would just need a cord with two male ends on it to go from the player to the stereo. If you get the next radio up it comes with a MP3 capable CD player so you can just burn your MP3s to CD and play them that way. That's what I plan on doing.
MP3's on CD = about 150 songs
iPod = about 7,500 songs

i have a high end kenwood deck in my car now that play MP3 CD's and since i got my iPod, the face has never come down for a CD to be inserted. I don't have any CD's to worry about changing out or leaving behind anywhere b/c all my music is now on my iPod. all in one place and it's so much better that way.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Moobs said:
MP3's on CD = about 150 songs
iPod = about 7,500 songs

i have a high end kenwood deck in my car now that play MP3 CD's and since i got my iPod, the face has never come down for a CD to be inserted. I don't have any CD's to worry about changing out or leaving behind anywhere b/c all my music is now on my iPod. all in one place and it's so much better that way.
See my problem is I'd rather buy CD-R's at a dime a dozen then give Apple a single penny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
brentil said:
See my problem is I'd rather buy CD-R's at a dime a dozen then give Apple a single penny.
Buy Samsung! j/k Plus it's also easier (at least for me) to navigate songs and volume on a deck rather than an mp3 player.

Oh here's a legitimate question I didn't ask before. Will the solstice mp3 deck be able to handle CDRWs? I would assume yes... but I'd rather have an official answer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
brentil said:
god_of_gamblers makes a good point when he says to buy samsung. if in fact it is apple that you have a problem with, then i highly recommend a different branded product. if all you want is a plain music player, then there is not much difference from one product to the next and other brands are cheaper. i got mine for a really good deal and i like the accessories that are available for the ipods. i have a car charger, FM transmiter, and case for my ipod and it was all very easy to find. there are so many more accessories available that i'm looking into also. and other brands will have these accessories, but they may not be as easy to find... with the exception of the FM transmiter as most of them are the same. but, mine is built into the car charger and is powered through the cig lighter so i'm not changing batteries out at all. samsung makes a great alternative product, but creative's products are gaining in popularity and i think are the highest rated by consumer reports (even over apple's ipods). you can't even imagine how much easier it makes things. things you don't even think about like the process of burning CD's is gone. you plug your MP3 player into the comp and it auto syncs with any new music you've downloaded and you are off again in less than a minute. it's so easy. but no one ever knows until they actually get one. i didn't even have a clue how much i would use it. but as more of my friends get them, they ask why i didn't tell them about them earlier.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
brentil said:
You only have to give Apple the money for the iPod, downloading onto iPod you get songs from anywhere including ripping CDs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts