Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the owners, what is your mileage on the DIC up to? When I got mine it was 16 and has slowly worked up to 20.4. Please add you mpg and driving habits.

·
Registered
576 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
Question for the owners, what is your mileage on the DIC up to? When I got mine it was 16 and has slowly worked up to 20.4. Please add you mpg and driving habits.
I reset mine perodically just to see what I am doing at that point in time. In general, after driving a mix of conditions it settles back to 24.6. I may have a heavier foot than others. When on the freeway at 55 I have seen 29 as an average, but I have a problem keeping either the MPG or the speedometer at the appropriate place.
:lol:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
24.7 mpg. I am trying to mix my driving styles for break in. I still only have 115 miles on her. When I get around 1,000 miles I will be replacing the oil with 5-30 Mobil 1 synthetic. The MPG goes up, the revs go down. Mitch :)

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
has anyone done the manual MPG calculation..and compared to what the DIC is showing.....I find that my 04 Chevy DIC MPG is normally 1.5-2.0 MPG higher than my actual MPG Im getting doing the old manual calculation...fill up..top off...divide number miles driven...etc

·
Registered
193 Posts
kingarthur said:
Isn't that MPG reading an instantaneous one? If so, remember, while idling
you get zilch MPG.
If the DIC is similar to the one I have on my Intrepid then it will have an Average MPG reading, which is what I assume they are looking at. This reading will take into consideration the times the car is sitting idle, and begging to be driven. ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
"When I get to 1000 miles I'll replace the oil with Mobil-1 synthetic oil."

I found this auto mechanic's forum reply to a query about synthetics from someone who just bought a new Honda Civic :

"In sum, everyone agrees that synthetic basically does everything better, but for the vast majority of drivers who drive normal cars normally in normal conditions, the typically quadrupled cost of the oil ($5 per quart) exceeds the usually minor benefits.

Note: when buying a new car, wait until the first oil change to switch to synthetic. Except for cars designed to run on it in the first place, doing so immediately may interfere with the break-in process by preventing the normal wear that allows piston rings to seat properly. "

That's something I'd always heard - wait for the rings to seat before
switching to synthetic. From experience, I've always use regular oil and have
always changed on time, and have never had any sort of abnormal wear
due to oil for any of the cars I've owned, and I drove every one of them well
over 100K miles. My cylinder compressions were always within spec.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The DIC says "Average MPG." It keeps a running average until you reset it.

According to GM the car should be broken in after 500 miles by following the suggested break in methods. So at 1000 miles is when I'll be switching to synthetic.

·
Registered
479 Posts
PAO said:
has anyone done the manual MPG calculation..and compared to what the DIC is showing.....I find that my 04 Chevy DIC MPG is normally 1.5-2.0 MPG higher than my actual MPG Im getting doing the old manual calculation...fill up..top off...divide number miles driven...etc
Yes, I did that today, I am burning 93 Octane. First tank that the dealer put in was 87 octane and it came in about 24 MPG. On my firsat tank of 93 octane I came in a little over 26. I now have just about 500 miles on the Sol. Filled up today 26 bucks for about 3/4 tank. 8 Gal.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I have over 2400 miles on my car and have been getting averages of 25-26 with a mix of city and highway driving. That's better than my wife's Alero and my 2000 Miata. I'm not complaining at all. I run nothing but 93 octane.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
I have over 2400 miles on my car and have been getting averages of 25-26 with a mix of city and highway driving. That's better than my wife's Alero and my 2000 Miata. I'm not complaining at all. I run nothing but 93 octane.
:agree:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Got just over 26 during my 2 hours of driving Sunday. Odometer was at 325 when I started. It was mostly 60-65 with cruise control OFF (intentionally to vary the RPMs a bit during burn-in) with a few slowdowns to 35 to go through towns.

Shell gas. OBVIOUSLY 93 octane.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I don't know, Like I said, I gotta get out on the highway. People drive too damn slow in school zones! :lol:

But seriously, 116. I think it will do about 125. I forgot to read that part in some of these reviews.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Marco said:
I don't know, Like I said, I gotta get out on the highway. People drive too damn slow in school zones! :lol:

But seriously, 116. I think it will do about 125. I forgot to read that part in some of these reviews.

:eek: :willy:

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Marco said:

My dealer said it was limited at 127MPH. Probably something he was told at the Ride & Drive last week.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts