WERKSracing dual 3" exhaust system
Hood and cowl venting
WERKSracing Double Bubble Roll Hoop setup with removable door bars
Recaro Speed seats Schroth 6 point harnesses

Lots, lots more...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looks Fantastic!!!! Great Work. That should be Funnnnn on track days!

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some more pics -

I forgot to snap a picture of the finished hood vents, the customer is going to send me one though so I will post it a soon as I get it from him.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Wow, someone who actually takes care not to crap up the paint while working on a customer's car! Good on ya Dave! That should be standard practice, but saddlly isn't. Excellent work on the car!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Dave, did you ever weight the car? Curious what the V8 adds.

Looks good.

·
Super Moderator
16,089 Posts
Wade did a before and after weight by wheel. Total wait gain was 125 pounds and the balance front to rear was improved. That was with the T56 transmission and no roll bar or big brakes.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Wade did a before and after weight by wheel. Total wait gain was 125 pounds and the balance front to rear was improved. That was with the T56 transmission and no roll bar or big brakes.
If you look at the thread discussing Wade's weights you see some other v8 owners post their measured numbers showing the extra front end weight bias, as well other posters noting some shortcomings in Wade's measurements.
I'd venture that wspohn already knows this. Plus there's the whole dry sump LS7 setup that makes it even more incorrect to compare to a LS2/LS3 car.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave, did you ever weight the car? Curious what the V8 adds.

Looks good.
Back in 2006 when we started doing the V8 conversions we weighed our first Solstice V8 we did and has the same results, 52% Front and 48% rear with an LS2 and a T-56 6 speed manual transmission. The conversions add in about 150lbs of weight but it is not really noticeable at all.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
My base Solstice weighed 2933lbs, with a 52.0F/48.0R weight distribution.
After the conversion AND ON THE SAME SET OF SCALES in the same shop,
3083lbs, 54.0F/46.0R.

This is an LS3 Mallett conversion w/ T-56 and CTS-V rear. Stock wheels & tires. No battery relocation, no dry sump, nothing removed from or added to the car aside from what was needed to perform the conversion. Mallett used the factory Corvette cast-iron manifolds and catalytic converters, and the LS3 is unmodified from stock. They did install a larger radiator and I retained A/C.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
FWIW, at the end of the video it appears that the wheels themselves are wider than the fender lips, add in the wider tires and they look to be impractiable for a street setup.

http://www.performanceautowerks.com/Movies/MrCLoadIn.mov
Other than how they look what makes them impractical for street use?

They stick out cause they are 295s. You wont get 295s inside or even with the rear wheel well. 275s yes, 285s maybe. I ran an 11x19in CCW with 295s on the rear with no issues. I just got tired of the look and didnt want the wheels and tires sticking out so far. Changed to a 10x19in with 275s. That set of rears had an 8in backspace and I was using a 3/16th in spacer. Those fit perfectly. Now Im running a 10x17 rear with a 275 DR.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts