Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this exact post at mazda-speed.com (the MSM site). Wanted to share it here as well. Please note, I wrote this for an MSM audience and not a Sostice audience...so apologies if it's not as useful guys.
[start post]


Haha, made you look!

No, no I jest. I really did drive one today, though it was very, VERY brief. The dealer was not really enthusiastic about it though he was very willing to chat about the car. The fact that I came in the MSM was probably the only reason why.

Interestingly, this Mazda dealer was not MS certified so they were not that familiar with our cars. He wasn't sure what kind of HP I had, only that he thought it was over 170. I told him 178 stock but that it would likely be going up in the near future thanks to Vishnu. I explained some of the stuff that was being done 3rd party and he looked pretty lost. As a salesman, of course, he had little choice but to endure my story.

Anyway, he was a nice enough guy. Like I said, he didn't really want to do a test drive since I wasn't "looking to buy". I never actually said that I wasn't and suggested that I'd never know until I drove one. I think when I go in for service on Saturday I'm going to have to take my Mazda Promo Mail thingy along that INVITES me to come test drive one and show it to them when they resist.

Ok, so I drove all of 2 miles...gently. The car had 4 miles on it and smelled like a barbecue so I wouldn't have pushed it too much anyway. Still, it was enough to make some observations relative to our MSMs:

1) The clutch felt light as a feather. Didn't like it at all. I don't know about all of you, but my MSM'd clutch pedal is one heavy sucker...I mean really heavy. Has been from day one. I love it.

2) The clutch engagement point felt like it was an inch off the floor and super grabby. Didn't like it but could get used to it.

2a) [edit] Oopsy, forgot. The 6 speed tranny? Sweet. Felt really snick snick, more than the MSM's.

3) The gas / brake pedals are further apart. I had trouble heel / toe shifting and missed a few shifts...badly .

4) The car revs much differently. I found that the way in which I had to hit the GO pedal to match revs was a lot different from my MSM. I was getting the feel for it around the time we were back at the dealer's lot. I could get used to it easily enough.

5) The car felt slow. FELT slow, didn't say it was slow. I'm so used to getting my boost on at 3600 rpms that I almost said aloud, "What's wrong with this car?". Duh. No turbo. Linear engine. I'm not convinced this car is faster than our stock MSMs based on what I felt.

6) Stiff frame! Ok, this was nice. Bumpy roads and no cowl shake. It feld solid. At the same time...it felt a bit...disconnected, you know? Like we lost something by making it stiff. I'd need to drive it some more.

7) It sat deeper. I felt lower in the car. Not sure how I feel about that. I feel like I'm sitting on top of the MSM and I like that.

8 Yay! They moved the windshield pillars back and I can see out the side better. Big improvement. Same goes for a taller windshield.

9) The sun visors are even more useless than they are now.

10) I don't like the steering wheel, or the new dash design.

11) I like the curves of the car much more now that I've seen it in person.

12) Exhaust note sounded great. Nice job Mazda.

13) I love the back end of the car. Not as sure about the front. It looks like a Miata so that's cool.

Overall impressions
I would have liked to put it through its paces but knew that wouldn't happen. It felt heavier and more tub-like if that makes sense. It felt more solid but also a bit disconnected. It looks GREAT.

Summation
Thank goodness I bought my MSM...I'm not tempted in the least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
Matt123 said:
I posted this exact post at mazda-speed.com (the MSM site). Wanted to share it here as well. Please note, I wrote this for an MSM audience and not a Sostice audience...so apologies if it's not as useful guys.
[start post]


Haha, made you look!

No, no I jest. I really did drive one today, though it was very, VERY brief. The dealer was not really enthusiastic about it though he was very willing to chat about the car. The fact that I came in the MSM was probably the only reason why.

Interestingly, this Mazda dealer was not MS certified so they were not that familiar with our cars. He wasn't sure what kind of HP I had, only that he thought it was over 170. I told him 178 stock but that it would likely be going up in the near future thanks to Vishnu. I explained some of the stuff that was being done 3rd party and he looked pretty lost. As a salesman, of course, he had little choice but to endure my story.

Anyway, he was a nice enough guy. Like I said, he didn't really want to do a test drive since I wasn't "looking to buy". I never actually said that I wasn't and suggested that I'd never know until I drove one. I think when I go in for service on Saturday I'm going to have to take my Mazda Promo Mail thingy along that INVITES me to come test drive one and show it to them when they resist.

Ok, so I drove all of 2 miles...gently. The car had 4 miles on it and smelled like a barbecue so I wouldn't have pushed it too much anyway. Still, it was enough to make some observations relative to our MSMs:

1) The clutch felt light as a feather. Didn't like it at all. I don't know about all of you, but my MSM'd clutch pedal is one heavy sucker...I mean really heavy. Has been from day one. I love it.

2) The clutch engagement point felt like it was an inch off the floor and super grabby. Didn't like it but could get used to it.

2a) [edit] Oopsy, forgot. The 6 speed tranny? Sweet. Felt really snick snick, more than the MSM's.

3) The gas / brake pedals are further apart. I had trouble heel / toe shifting and missed a few shifts...badly .

4) The car revs much differently. I found that the way in which I had to hit the GO pedal to match revs was a lot different from my MSM. I was getting the feel for it around the time we were back at the dealer's lot. I could get used to it easily enough.

5) The car felt slow. FELT slow, didn't say it was slow. I'm so used to getting my boost on at 3600 rpms that I almost said aloud, "What's wrong with this car?". Duh. No turbo. Linear engine. I'm not convinced this car is faster than our stock MSMs based on what I felt.

6) Stiff frame! Ok, this was nice. Bumpy roads and no cowl shake. It feld solid. At the same time...it felt a bit...disconnected, you know? Like we lost something by making it stiff. I'd need to drive it some more.

7) It sat deeper. I felt lower in the car. Not sure how I feel about that. I feel like I'm sitting on top of the MSM and I like that.

8 Yay! They moved the windshield pillars back and I can see out the side better. Big improvement. Same goes for a taller windshield.

9) The sun visors are even more useless than they are now.

10) I don't like the steering wheel, or the new dash design.

11) I like the curves of the car much more now that I've seen it in person.

12) Exhaust note sounded great. Nice job Mazda.

13) I love the back end of the car. Not as sure about the front. It looks like a Miata so that's cool.

Overall impressions
I would have liked to put it through its paces but knew that wouldn't happen. It felt heavier and more tub-like if that makes sense. It felt more solid but also a bit disconnected. It looks GREAT.

Summation
Thank goodness I bought my MSM...I'm not tempted in the least.
I wouldn't expect anything else but mostly bad reports to be said by a person who just bought a MSN. But almost all reviews gives this car a thumbs up compared to the MSN. Expecially in looks but also performance.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way matt123 aren't you the same guy back in June said your 2 Stolstice's were sitting in yopur driveway.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um, cheif...I don't know you think I am but may I suggest you get your stories straight before ripping somebody?

Secondly, you'll want to rethink your comments about how I'm biased towards the MSM (not the MSN) based on what I've posted about the Solstice.

Ask the mods about my posts around these parts if you're confused.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
" I like the curves of the car much more now that I've seen it in person. "

Same raction I had. I screamed when I saw the photos. Thought it was pathetic, but when I actually saw one, I kind of liked it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
Matt123 said:
Um, cheif...I don't know you think I am but may I suggest you get your stories straight before ripping somebody?

Secondly, you'll want to rethink your comments about how I'm biased towards the MSM (not the MSN) based on what I've posted about the Solstice.

Ask the mods about my posts around these parts if you're confused.
UMM Cheif..... And no body was ripping you apart, Why would you think that. I just gave my opinion that anybody who just bought a MSM Would be bias towards the car they bought. Sorry if you don't like my opinion, but it a opinion, everyone has them.

I asked you if you are the same Matt123 I didn't say you were ! But you didn't answere my question either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I didn't "just buy" an MSM, I've had it for close to a year and a half.

As there is only one matt123 on here, I'm not sure how you can confuse me with somebody that claimed they had two Solstices in their driveway.

Maybe you should try rereading my post, I did not give the NC "bad reports".

In fact, if you add up the things I said that I did not like versus what I did like you'll find that they are equal. I made several comments on things I found to be different but did not pass particular judgement on them. I gave my impressions of the NC based on the briefest of driving impressions when compared to what I own now. I did state that I like my MSM better. I don't understand how that allows you to reach the conclusion you did.

Would you care to enlighten me on how one should properly interpret the use of 9 :lol: after commenting on what I wrote?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Matt123 said:
As there is only one matt123 on here, I'm not sure how you can confuse me with somebody that claimed they had two Solstices in their driveway.
There was a member here with an ID like Matt1234567890, or something like that, and I believe that is the member deluke speaks of, not 100% sure, but pretty sure. I've seen this comment "is matt123" that guy.....he's not, simply mistaken identity :)

As for the NC, it blows chunks :devil: but I'm kinda partial to the MSM :lol:

Just kiddin', the NC is a nice car, but it's got some flaws, especially excessive body roll, even with the sports suspension. It is also has great potential.

It's definately missing the fun factor of the MSM turbo generated acceleration, I felt like I needed a riding crop when I drove the NC. There is debate if it's as quick in 0-60 as the MSM, I am firmly on the side of no chance, but we'll see. The MSM wins hands down for now on performance out of the box, and for huge potential for a few bucks in the aftermarket!

I believe that some day, the NC and the Sol will be good performance competiton for my dollar, I just don't think either is there yet, but they are first year designs, that's almost to be expected.

Thanks for sharing Matt!

And before anyone flames me, remember, I have not crossed the NC or Sol of my list of potentials cars to replace the TI MSM :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
Matt123 said:
I didn't "just buy" an MSM, I've had it for close to a year and a half.

As there is only one matt123 on here, I'm not sure how you can confuse me with somebody that claimed they had two Solstices in their driveway.

Maybe you should try rereading my post, I did not give the NC "bad reports".

In fact, if you add up the things I said that I did not like versus what I did like you'll find that they are equal. I made several comments on things I found to be different but did not pass particular judgement on them. I gave my impressions of the NC based on the briefest of driving impressions when compared to what I own now. I did state that I like my MSM better. How that allows you to reach the conclusion you did is beyond me.

Would you care to enlighten me on how one should properly interpret the use of 9 :lol: after commenting on what I wrote?
Ther was another Matt 123??? that use to post but some were disappeared. ( Thats why I asked, Your names are very close)First. I didn't mean to Tick you off I asked if you were the same matt a simple no would of been fine. Second the way I read it you are not showing the cars equal , however there are alot of Miata owners that come here trying to downgrade the Solstice. I just thought you were one of them. And the laughing men, I just like all these little guys, I'm always posting them.Once again, Sorry didn't want to tick you off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fair enough. The "chief" comment was properly un-warranted on my part. I just got ticked after reading what I thought was a quick dismissal of my thoughts on the NC versus MSM despite my efforts to be balanced.

No, the cars are not equal. They're quite different as Mazda intended them to be. I find some of those differences to be in favor of the MSM, some in favor of the NC. Many of them are a matter of personal taste. I posted my review first for my MSM brethern at our site as they're the ones most likely to know what I'm referring to. I made sure I mentioned this up front.

My impression is that the NC is not as quick as the MSM if a straight 0-60. My impression has not yet been formed about whether it handles better. One would assume that it does which would make it the faster car on the types of roads I care about -- twisties!

Whether it be here, the MSM site, or miata.net...you'll find from my posts that I am firmly in the "Solstice Fan" camp despite being a Miata owner. Sadly, some folks both here and there have trouble being anything but fanboys when it comes to discussing all three cars. Rest assured I am not one of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
Matt123 said:
Fair enough. The "chief" comment was properly un-warranted on my part. I just got ticked after reading what I thought was a quick dismissal of my thoughts on the NC versus MSM despite my efforts to be balanced.

No, the cars are not equal. They're quite different as Mazda intended them to be. I find some of those differences to be in favor of the MSM, some in favor of the NC. Many of them are a matter of personal taste. I posted my review first for my MSM brethern at our site as they're the ones most likely to know what I'm referring to. I made sure I mentioned this up front.

My impression is that the NC is not as quick as the MSM if a straight 0-60. My impression has not yet been formed about whether it handles better. One would assume that it does which would make it the faster car on the types of roads I care about -- twisties!

Whether it be here, the MSM site, or miata.net...you'll find from my posts that I am firmly in the "Solstice Fan" camp despite being a Miata owner. Sadly, some folks both here and there have trouble being anything but fanboys when it comes to discussing all three cars. Rest assured I am not one of them.
I have a question. They say the cat back exhaust adds 5-10 HP, do you know if it's true? My dealer say's yes, but I'm a female and they tell us anything because we really don't know.I haven't talked to my husband yet,so I don't know what he thinks.They also say the cat back exhaust only weighs 20 lbs. total. What does a reg. complete exhaust weigh?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Matt123 said:
My impression is that the NC is not as quick as the MSM if a straight 0-60. My impression has not yet been formed about whether it handles better. One would assume that it does which would make it the faster car on the types of roads I care about -- twisties!
Sincerely doubt this about the cornering (I agree on the straightline 0-60), aparently the NC is getting some bad things said about the suspensions, have a look at this thread, about page 13-16 give or take we had some good NB NC SOL MSM talk, it was very educational....

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5542&highlight=edmunds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
I've been offline for several weeks, on my first day back, I am left wondering if tis is the Solstice[/B] Forum.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
This is an "other car discussion" thread! For people who are not Sol-centric.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top