Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm a newbie here
the show on ESPN said the solstice starts at $18k, now I'm seeing $20k+ for the convertible
anyone has a clue what the price would be:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
They keep saying that the target base price will be "under" 20k. Now $19,995 is under 20k so I expect that to be the base model pice. :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
The real question though is "What will you get for the base price ?" Traditionally GM lines have a "loss leader" that no-one wants and a host of options. In recent years these have become "option packages" rather than individual options but really same-same.

The question is which will be necessary and which won't. It would not surprise me if the $19995 version (of which three will be built & ultimately become collectable) has wind up windows, no a/c, a radio block off plate, manual everything and 15" wheels with hubcaps (then again that might be a perfect place to start for an autocross car). For example when Pontiac introduced the "ecomony" Fiero in 1984 it also had super long gears and 185x80x13 tires, a transaxle now greatly in demand for V-8 swaps).

This is more likely for two reasons:
1) the market the Solstice is aimed at is specialized, competitive, and has relatively low-end demographics. Much more like the Fiero than the Reatta or Allante.
2) Is how Pontiac is used to doing things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Good point Padgett. I am sure the base Solstice for under $20k will be a bit of a stripper. Of course, that would be best for the track most likely. Add in typical buyer option packages, and I am sure MSRP will be around $22.5-23k, probably topping out fully loaded at around high $24k, or low $25k (for the base model). Unless of course they add options like navigation, which gets expensive (Mazda offers this on their Mazda 3 as a $1700 option to a $17k base car).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2006solstice said:
Good point Padgett. I am sure the base Solstice for under $20k will be a bit of a stripper. Of course, that would be best for the track most likely. Add in typical buyer option packages, and I am sure MSRP will be around $22.5-23k, probably topping out fully loaded at around high $24k, or low $25k (for the base model). Unless of course they add options like navigation, which gets expensive (Mazda offers this on their Mazda 3 as a $1700 option to a $17k base car).
so they're only making the covertible model right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
They're ONLY making the convertible. The coupe concept never got off the ground.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Here is essentially what Pontiac (Jim Hopson, a Pontiac representative per the article) told Edmunds.com regarding the base price and standard features and options when they test drove the 2006 prototype.

The base model will retail at $19,995.
That price includes 18 inch rims, the full sport suspension, and 4 wheel disks.

Available options will include leather, upgraded audio, fancier wheel finishes (I assume chrome), a limited slip differential, and an auto transmission will be available late.

Their specification page also lists the following ammenities, most likely as options but possibly a couple standard as well:

ABS, fog lights, power windows, mirrors, audio and cruise controls on steering wheel, 6 disk in dash cd player, OnStar.

I doubt there will be a lot of power options on the base car, but its not going to be equipped like a base 1985 Yugo either! :lol

Here is the whole article:

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2006/pontiac/solstice/100380124/preview.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
with them saying they can probably sell all 20,000~30,000 of them within the first few months, do you guys think we can still able to get it for a good price like around or below invoice?

cause when the S2000 first came out, some markets are selling for for few thousands above retail... :leaving
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
carbonfiber said:
with them saying they can probably sell all 20,000~30,000 of them within the first few months, do you guys think we can still able to get it for a good price like around or below invoice?

cause when the S2000 first came out, some markets are selling for for few thousands above retail... :leaving
They're estimating 20,000~30,000 sold per year, not the first couple of months. There are no official pre-orders yet so they really can't build an official estimation yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
This kind of talk makes me happy my boss owns a Pontiac dealership too. :smile Already got mine reserved.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
I would think that you could get the car a little below MSRP not long after it is introduced. If they do plan on building 20K a year, I have a feeling there will be plenty to go around. At that volume, GM would be doubling the roadster market, which is a tall order. Add in the Saturn which we will see in January, and GM is planning on really ballooning the roadster market. I doubt there will be lines, waiting lists, or gouging for that long on this car with those numbers. I am not saying they won’t sell, but that they will have plenty to meet demand. It may take some patience while the factory ramps up and dealers get supply, but they will deal on them.

Now, how much they will deal is another question. The base Solstice may have an invoice that is close to the MSRP. The car doesn’t cost that much to begin with, and GM is throwing in some costly stuff as standard (such as those 18 inch rims). So there may not be much room to deal on the base cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
"An automatic transmission will also be available sometime after launch, but choosing that is like wearing a snow suit in the Caribbean — you're missing the point."

:cheers

Personally this car is going to be THE car for me until I A.) save up money to buy and restore a 79 bandit edition T/A or B.) win the lottery and buy a ferarri or two, so Ill be getting it loaded to the gills, with whatever that entails, but of course, hold the auto please. I think Id even go in for navigation, and onstar wouldnt hurt either.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
carbonfiber said:
sorry, it's a late reply
but anyone think this $20k starting price not including AC or any power is a rip off?
Why? If you were interested in just buying a Solstice to race with then GM has just saved you $1500 of accessories and weight you don't want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
Ff's great Solstice prognostications from a year ago....

Fformula88 said:
I would think that you could get the car a little below MSRP not long after it is introduced. If they do plan on building 20K a year, I have a feeling there will be plenty to go around. At that volume, GM would be doubling the roadster market, which is a tall order. ... I doubt there will be lines, waiting lists, or gouging for that long on this car with those numbers...
:glol: :lol: :D

I didn't realize this was a year-old thread until I got to your post.

So, got any stock predictions? How 'bout who the next President will be?

How many thousands of post ago was this? :jester:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
mceb said:
Hey I predicted MIN and BAL for this year's Super Bowl :eek: :eek: :eek:
And I will boldy pick, at against all odds and curses, that the White Sox will not only win the pennant, but...okay, old news. :lol:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
MAKsys said:
:glol: :lol: :D

I didn't realize this was a year-old thread until I got to your post.

So, got any stock predictions? How 'bout who the next President will be?

How many thousands of post ago was this? :jester:
Wait a minute! More than 2000 Solstices need to be built and shipped before we know whether FF88 was right or wrong, until then we don't know what wil happen when they mass produce.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top