Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't want to add mud flaps IMO they detract from the lines of the car. Would it be possible to use the same clear filmy material that's mounted around the trunk holes as an alternative to mud flaps? I was thinking on the lower rocker panels and behind the rear wheels on the lower portion of the rear quarter panels. Will this stuff yellow or pull the paint if it has to be removed and replaced after a period of time, I mean there is more road wear down there than on the trunk lid.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yes, 3M type film is perfect for application like that.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
OZ40 said:
I really don't want to add mud flaps IMO they detract from the lines of the car. Would it be possible to use the same clear filmy material that's mounted around the trunk holes as an alternative to mud flaps? I was thinking on the lower rocker panels and behind the rear wheels on the lower portion of the rear quarter panels. Will this stuff yellow or pull the paint if it has to be removed and replaced after a period of time, I mean there is more road wear down there than on the trunk lid.

It is the perfect material. There is a clear bra that you can have placed on the car. If you want just on the lower panel to protect. There are several brands out there that work. But 3M has the best reputation at this time. It is breathable and generally carried a good warranty if you have it professionally installed.

·
Registered
542 Posts
When I had my Z3, I had these magnetic (black) rock guards that I placed just before the wheel well...they were made to the exact shape of the panel just in front of the rear wheels and made the car look even sportier.

I've since seen some other racing style companies come out with a molded piece that does the same thing (on Z3's and other cars) however, I've yet to see anything for the Solstice.

I must say, the Solstice does spit alot on itself I guess due to the wheels at the corners design. I am constantly toweling the car down after a ride to make sure she looks her best.

I would love to see an aftermarket company put something out that would help us out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, but

Thanks, but any idea on this stuff being removed if need be? Would the paint come off with it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
OZ40 said:
Thanks, but any idea on this stuff being removed if need be? Would the paint come off with it?
The 3M stuff is designed to come off without any problems at all. It will not hurt the paint. Just do a google search for 3M clear bra and you will get all kinds of info about it!

·
Registered
895 Posts
I just ordered the mud flaps today. If the 3m gets pitted it does protect the pait but still looks pitted until you remove and replace it. I did not want to have to hassel that. The mud flaps do not look too bad on the Solstice. I no it looks better without them.
I am still considering the 3M bra but I might look into a heavy duty clear coat instead.
Sitting Duck

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks for all the information. I may go with the clear film. If it's not a real expensive material I would take the time to replace it as needed because I believe the primary attraction to this vehicle is the body style and I don't want to detract from that at all.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Personally I'm going to do both mud guards and 3M clear plastic. I had a horrific ecperience with chipped rockers on my previous car, and I don't want that ever again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts