Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this evening a friend called me & told me to get on Ebay & search under "Solstice".

I did & there were at least eight (8) different first 1000 cars that are up for sale by their owners.

For those of us who truly want to own the car simply for the pleasure of driving it...well that just sticks.

:devil:

·
Registered
96 Posts
My car won't be on Ebay.

Now if they would only start producing some Sly color cars or will that only make me more anxious for my vin#. :)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
It is a shame but hopefully those first 1000 will end up in the hands of people who want them (but had to pay more to get them).

·
Registered
479 Posts
What pisses me off is I can't wait to get my car. These people can't wait to sell them. Just dosen't seem right. I wish the General would look at the ads on EBAY and tell these folks that yes they had a right to a 1st 1000, but since you decided to sell your right we are going to take your car give it to somebody on the wait list, and if they wish, they would put them on the waiting list, at the end of the line. #35 is on there, he will have his sold before I even know my vin#. Just not right. greed, greed, greed. :banghead:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
del_utz said:
What pisses me off is I can't wait to get my car. These people can't wait to sell them. Just dosen't seem right. I wish the General would look at the ads on EBAY and tell these folks that yes they had a right to a 1st 1000, but since you decided to sell your right we are going to take your car give it to somebody on the wait list, and if they wish, they would put them on the waiting list, at the end of the line. #35 is on there, he will have his sold before I even know my vin#. Just not right. greed, greed, greed. :banghead:

I agree!

·
Registered
121 Posts
The bids have been in the $5000-$6000 range. It would seem pretty smart to take that money and cover the difference on the GXP version next year. Especially as winter nears for some of us. The only real benefit to getting one of the first 1000 (besides driving it a few months earlier) is its collectability. Some folks are taking advantage sooner versus later. Are you going to be equally upset when someone get theirs and stores it for 10 years having never driven it and then sells it at Barrett Jackson?

·
Registered
179 Posts
dferkler said:
The bids have been in the $5000-$6000 range. It would seem pretty smart to take that money and cover the difference on the GXP version next year. Especially as winter nears for some of us. The only real benefit to getting one of the first 1000 (besides driving it a few months earlier) is its collectability. Some folks are taking advantage sooner versus later. Are you going to be equally upset when someone get theirs and stores it for 10 years having never driven it and then sells it at Barrett Jackson?
:agree: While I won't be listing mine on ebay, I'd have to say if someone walked up to me with cash, I might take a look at it. Cars are assets, what we look to aquire from the work we do, and while they have a great sentimental attachement to many of us, to others they just represent the $ that can be made from them, (or we wouldn't have delaerships ;) )

I hope to have my sol til I die and let my kids, and maybe grandkids by that time, fight over it! :jester:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
WannaSolstice said:
:agree: While I won't be listing mine on ebay, I'd have to say if someone walked up to me with cash, I might take a look at it. Cars are assets, what we look to aquire from the work we do, and while they have a great sentimental attachement to many of us, to others they just represent the $ that can be made from them, (or we wouldn't have delaerships ;) )

I hope to have my sol til I die and let my kids, and maybe grandkids by that time, fight over it! :jester:
:nonod: You'll have to pry mine from my cold, dead fingers!

·
Registered
179 Posts
misunderstood?

Editguy said:
:nonod: You'll have to pry mine from my cold, dead fingers!
:eek: No, wait - I'm not selling mine, I wouldn't sell mine, only take a look at it! I'm a committed lifelong owner. I'm just glad I don't have 001, that would have been just too tempting.
I was just commenting on how others might look at it, sorry if I was misunderstood. :leaving:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also believe that if you were to sell your Solstice on eBay, you would get more money after the car hits the street. As much as the folks on this site are aware of the Solstice, most are not. I do not have an EOP car but am 1st on my dealers allocation list. Most I talk to have no idea what the car looks like.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This is America, folks! Chill Out!

One of the great things about this country is that we can participate in the free enterprise system. If you want to buy your Sol and keep it and drive it, you can. If you want to buy it and then sell it for more than you paid for it, then you can do that, too! If I pick up my first of 1000 Sol, and decide that my 6'1", 220 lb frame does not fit that well, and that I cannot live without some luggage space, then I will offer it up for sale, and make a few bucks. I put my honest money down and the car is mine to do with as I see fit. If I like it as much I hope I do, then I will keep the car and drive it. Don't be putting the bad mouth on those who want to sell their cars before you even get yours, they got their cars for a reason, and that reason is theirs, too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
AZJuez said:
One of the great things about this country is that we can participate in the free enterprise system. If you want to buy your Sol and keep it and drive it, you can. If you want to buy it and then sell it for more than you paid for it, then you can do that, too! If I pick up my first of 1000 Sol, and decide that my 6'1", 220 lb frame does not fit that well, and that I cannot live without some luggage space, then I will offer it up for sale, and make a few bucks. I put my honest money down and the car is mine to do with as I see fit. If I like it as much I hope I do, then I will keep the car and drive it. Don't be putting the bad mouth on those who want to sell their cars before you even get yours, they got their cars for a reason, and that reason is theirs, too.
If you don't fit after you get your car...great...sell it. What is making people mad are the PROFITEERS that are going to make this car like a PT Cruiser...Why shouldn't we be mad. If you don't love the car and are just buying it to SCREW someone that REALLY does love the car...then you deserve to be bent over yourself.

If you have a financial problem or family issue that prevents you from taking possession of the car...I understand that happens too. No one here is faulting the HONEST sellers...we just don't like the ones that are out to put someone into an upside down situation on a car.

Cars are not investments...very few ever appreciate. Don't start spouting Ferraris or L-88 Corvettes or even the new star...the Cuda. Look at what kind of investment was originally made on that car in that day's money and look what that amount of money in the stock market would have gotten you. Buy a car because you like it...not to make money on it.

Just my .02 and I am sure I upset someone....but you know what...there are alot of people that would have loved to have had that first 1000 car that truly wanted it for the car....not the resale. Look through this forum...there are people here that have been here from day one that were drooling over this car...and alot had money down already. Wouldn't it make sense for them to have gotten the car instead of some get rich quick person?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
AZJuez said:
You're right of course, but it doesn't change the frustration behind it. I liken it to the legality of Ticket Brokers in this country. Ticket brokering is legalized scalping, plain and simple, and it does nothing but pad their pockets and hurt the fans. Why is it that a true Bruce Springsteen fan can't get a 4th row seat for face value? Because companies and brokers buy them all up in blocks and sell them to who ever can afford them. The true fan ends up having nose bleed seats while the casual fan (or worse yet, the guy who's just there cause he got free tickets from his boss) ends up sitting down front. People who bought the Solstice just to make a profit are doing the same thing. It's legal, and they have every right to do it. But it's still frustrating to the true fan who feels they deserve it more. The feeling is similar to being taken.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Just a comment:
If you need to vent then use the RANT simbol to let people know that is your reason, I understand all of your feelings but this is America and unless is illegal then.........
my .02 cents

·
Registered
121 Posts
garytucker said:
If you don't fit after you get your car...great...sell it. What is making people mad are the PROFITEERS that are going to make this car like a PT Cruiser...Why shouldn't we be mad. If you don't love the car and are just buying it to SCREW someone that REALLY does love the car...then you deserve to be bent over yourself.

If you have a financial problem or family issue that prevents you from taking possession of the car...I understand that happens too. No one here is faulting the HONEST sellers...we just don't like the ones that are out to put someone into an upside down situation on a car.

Cars are not investments...?
I am prety sure that GM will make more Solstices. Anyone who is paying a premium to own an EOP is doing so by choice. Would seem that they are screwing themselves.

An apparently if people are offering $6000 plus the cost of the car......cars are indeed an investment. You managed to discredit your statement with your own words. I hope you are not a lawyer.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Not all are real...

Lets remember that this is still eBay. If you read the ads, you will notice some are the exact same words in their listings. I highly doubt that all of these are real ads. Some will be people scamming others out of their $5-6k deposits. And still others will be real and have bidders that are not for real. We already had one forum member that had that happen. His high bid was for $10400 and he still hasnt gotten a dime. In summation, I agree that the people should not have ordered an EOP car without wanting to keep it. But a lot of these people on eBay are going to get what they desreve in the long run...NOTHING! hahaha :devil:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Anyone remember when Cadillac announced it would build no more Eldorado convertibles? Some of those cars in 1976 were rumoured to go for almost double the msrp on them. People bought them with the thought that they were getting an instant classic and that they'd bring in a fortune on resale later on.
While it's debatable that they're a classic, it's certain they were a bad investment for the reselling of them years later for a handsome profit. The poor things wallowed in traffic, there was tremendous body flexing, the wonderful 8.2 litre engine had been detuned, and they'd become a tad gaudy.

As far as those on selling the Solstice on ebay, it doesn't bother me so much that they're doing it, that's pure American enterprise at work. It does however bother me, that there are those that don't love the car enough that they'll offer it up for sale almost casually. And it bothers me an awfully lot that this is at the expense of those that have pre-ordered these gems in sheetmetal for the sheer pleasure alone of getting what will surely be one of the most wonderful cars built in the U.S.A. in a very long time.
But that's just me.
The car is being built, the cars will be delivered, and in the end the horrific waiting will be over. Hang in there.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Michael said:
The car is being built, the cars will be delivered, and in the end the horrific waiting will be over. Hang in there.
H.......A.......N......G......I.....N......G......!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Call it a rant if you want

I don't believe I discredited my own statement. Yes, there are people out there that will make money in the SHORT term on any new car. Short term is not a real investment in my book I guess. I am a long-haul person. Seriously I have to agree with the post about ticket brokers...probably put a little better than my example.

Yes it is a free-enterprise system...and anyone is free to screw or be screwed. That is the beauty of America. It is also a probably one of the reasons we have so many issues these days...everyone wants a piece of the action. I find it amazing that so many people will rush to defend a profiteer with the saying of "its free-enterprise." Wonder if you will say that when your Grandma gets a $2K roof put on her house for $10k...just because it was free-enterprise and she was willing to pay for the "bill of goods" that she was sold.
Some people sure like to slam a dealer for extra fees or add-on protection packages...hey, that's the free enterprise system...what are you gonna do when the dealer sticks a $1K protection package on that Solstice and says..."take it or leave it. Our contract was only on the price of the car...but our dealership policy REQUIRES this to go on EVERY car we sell." How many will be saying free-enterprise then? He has a valuable item you want and it OBVIOUSLY must be worth more than that sticker says...he can get it one way or another if he wanted.

I am NOT ranting only stating my peace. I'm done on the subject... Now let's get back to celebrating the delivery of these beautiful cars!

·
2,574 Posts
dferkler said:
I also believe that if you were to sell your Solstice on eBay, you would get more money after the car hits the street. As much as the folks on this site are aware of the Solstice, most are not. I do not have an EOP car but am 1st on my dealers allocation list. Most I talk to have no idea what the car looks like.
Ferk, My next door neighbor is a Pontiac salesman and I had to show his significant other a picture of the car. People really have no clue at this point. BTW She wants to kill him for not showing it to her. She drives a Mitsu Eclipse and guess what she wants now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.