Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While waiting 4 hours at the end of a runway for my flight to take off, I read an article in the United Airlines magazine, Hemispheres, titled "The Rally of the relics". The magazine is dated July, 2005 and the story is on pages 52-59. It's a great story about a group of eight 1947 MG TC owners who ship their cars from California to England and take a month long outing across the English country roads. They got lost quite a bit and had to bring spare parts with them - at least one car per day would have a mechanical break down. The author does a great job of detailing the support they received from the local residents. During their travels, they visited the Abilndon plant where the TC's were built. He wrote about the scenery they saw and the many stories about their travels were quite entertaining. Below are images of the article...enjoy!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Image of the article...part 1 of 2

Part 1 of 2. I can only download 5 images at a time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thank you! Thank you! I spent a half hour trying to find the article on the web to no avail.

The writer does a great job of conveying what it's like to own an old MG. I guess you can say I learned to drive in a MGTD, when not much more than a toddler. That was because whenever my favorite uncle took us for a ride, he let me steer while he and my dad pushed it home. When I was 17, I bought my first car, an 11 year old MGA. A trip to or from Lake Arrowhead (80 miles from LA) always included at least three 30 minute stops to let the car rest. Learned that memorable road trips always involve conquering adversity (often mechanical) and the little roads less traveled are usually much more enjoyable. Now I want my Solstice today!

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
That's a great story. The trip of a lifetime in a piece of automobile history. Great!!! It can't get any better. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
DreamerDave said:
Thank you! Thank you! I spent a half hour trying to find the article on the web to no avail.
They never called or emailed me back, so I thought I would take the photos and post them... what the heck, its a free magazine and I'm not making any money off it!

The writer does a great job of conveying what it's like to own an old MG. I guess you can say I learned to drive in a MGTD, when not much more than a toddler. That was because whenever my favorite uncle took us for a ride, he let me steer while he and my dad pushed it home. When I was 17, I bought my first car, an 11 year old MGA. A trip to or from Lake Arrowhead (80 miles from LA) always included at least three 30 minute stops to let the car rest. Learned that memorable road trips always involve conquering adversity (often mechanical) and the little roads less traveled are usually much more enjoyable. Now I want my Solstice today!
That's why I liked the article. It was about the experience - not the "I went 130mph" or "I have a turbo cam double shifted V8 stuck in this mama!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts