Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who've been on this forum for a while may remember that I was all set to order the Solstice until scraps of info about the new MX-5 started coming out. After researching the car's past history, and after the specs and photos were released, I decided the MX-5 would be a better match for what I was looking for.

I'm very satisfied with it so far after six days of ownership.
The car feels quicker than I thought it would, handles well, and sounds great under acceleration. The fender bulges that I disliked in the photos actually look good to me in person, at least on the color I chose. The only changes I would consider are tire and shock upgrades (I wasn't able to order the sport suspension and still get the 5 speed trans).

I'll stick around this forum a little longer to see how some of you long time members like your cars. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the Solstice as well, but a few things tipped the scales for me in favor of the MX-5.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Congratulations, tcl. It's a nice looking car and I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment from it. Even as late as the past few days, I was tempted to go pick one up from a local dealership that contacted me with three in stock. Then I went to a Pontiac dealership that has a Sol on display and I found myself re-committing myself to wait for as long as it takes for my Solstice to be delivered. But I do envy the fact that you are driving your MX-5 while I continue to wait for my Sol that was to be delivered a month ago. Enjoy! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,532 Posts
tcl said:
Those of you who've been on this forum for a while may remember that I was all set to order the Solstice until scraps of info about the new MX-5 started coming out. After researching the car's past history, and after the specs and photos were released, I decided the MX-5 would be a better match for what I was looking for.

I'm very satisfied with it so far after six days of ownership.
The car feels quicker than I thought it would, handles well, and sounds great under acceleration. The fender bulges that I disliked in the photos actually look good to me in person, at least on the color I chose. The only changes I would consider are tire and shock upgrades (I wasn't able to order the sport suspension and still get the 5 speed trans).

I'll stick around this forum a little longer to see how some of you long time members like your cars. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the Solstice as well, but a few things tipped the scales for me in favor of the MX-5.
If you can find a better car buy it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,041 Posts
Congratulations on the new Mazda. Let us know how it performs after a normal break in period. My Miata was one year old when I got it so I never noticed a difference in performance. Have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
556 Posts
tcl said:
Those of you who've been on this forum for a while may remember that I was all set to order the Solstice until scraps of info about the new MX-5 started coming out. After researching the car's past history, and after the specs and photos were released, I decided the MX-5 would be a better match for what I was looking for.

I'm very satisfied with it so far after six days of ownership.
The car feels quicker than I thought it would, handles well, and sounds great under acceleration. The fender bulges that I disliked in the photos actually look good to me in person, at least on the color I chose. The only changes I would consider are tire and shock upgrades (I wasn't able to order the sport suspension and still get the 5 speed trans).

I'll stick around this forum a little longer to see how some of you long time members like your cars. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the Solstice as well, but a few things tipped the scales for me in favor of the MX-5.
Can you explain the comment about unable to order the sport suspension and still get the 5 spd? Surely you can get both???
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
Congratulations on getting the great new ride you wanted. FWIW, I still can't get used to those fenders. They look like some kind of growth on the side of the car. Hey, it only has to make you happy, not me. So, mission accomplished.

If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost you, out the door?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Way cool for you TCL! Enjoy the ride!

what color is that you got?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. In answer to your questions:

1. You can only order the suspension package on the sport and grand touring models. These models only come with the 6 speed manual or auto trans. I wanted the 5 speed so the suspension package wasn't a factory order option.

2. I paid MSRP+destination ($22,995) plus the standard charges like tax, tags, title. This is the Touring model which comes fairly well equipped.

3. The color is called Copper Red Mica.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
TCL, As a fellow roadster owner, I promise to smile and wave. But you'll have to wave first. Did we ever decide on a "Secret Solstice Salute"? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DreamerDave said:
TCL, As a fellow roadster owner, I promise to smile and wave. But you'll have to wave first. Did we ever decide on a "Secret Solstice Salute"? :)
I'll signal on-coming roadsters on nice days when we both have the tops down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
Congratulations! I too was thinking of getting the new MX5. Larger trunk, slick top, known pedigree, exterior color I like with a two tone interior and a 6 speed. The deal breaker for me was the looks. I couldn't get over it. However, obviously you don't feel the same way I do about the looks, so you have yourself a wonderful roadster!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,464 Posts
Same here TCL, it is your choice and no one elses, enjoy it and although I do not live in Northern VA maybe you can get together with a fellow member from your area and do some comparison and maybe you both can post the impresions from each of you. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder so what some people do not like about the MX5 or SOL others will see it diferent, :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
Nice one, TCL! I like your choice of color. It looks pretty classy.

I've been a Miata (MX-5) fan since they were introduced, and was fortunate enough to own a '91 for a couple years while I lived in Hawaii. They're fun little cars. According to the press, they are more compliant than the Solstice when you want to hang the tail out. Sure, it's not the fastest way through a turn, but it put a smile on my face every time I did that in my old M.

I'll have to get out to a dealer and take one for a spin while I wait for my Sol to arrive.
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
"The only changes I would consider are tire and shock upgrades "

I HIGHLY recommend this. The rear end of my Miata was always trying to spin around to the front on stock tires, especally in the rain. I put on a pair of 17" Yokohamas and now it feels like it is super glued to the road, wet or dry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
tcl said:
Thanks all. In answer to your questions:

1. You can only order the suspension package on the sport and grand touring models. These models only come with the 6 speed manual or auto trans. I wanted the 5 speed so the suspension package wasn't a factory order option.

2. I paid MSRP+destination ($22,995) plus the standard charges like tax, tags, title. This is the Touring model which comes fairly well equipped.

3. The color is called Copper Red Mica.
I love the color !
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
3,468 Posts
pre ja vu

tcl said:
Thanks all. In answer to your questions:

1. You can only order the suspension package on the sport and grand touring models. These models only come with the 6 speed manual or auto trans. I wanted the 5 speed so the suspension package wasn't a factory order option.

2. I paid MSRP+destination ($22,995) plus the standard charges like tax, tags, title. This is the Touring model which comes fairly well equipped.

3. The color is called Copper Red Mica.
tcl,

This is virtually the exact model I would buy if I end up with the MX-5. I am caught on the horns of a dilemma between the Solstice and the MX-5. I love the looks of the Solstice and would love to buy GM. I also, however, like the looks of the MX-5 and am drawn to the more practical nature of its format (a more functional trunk!).

I appreciate your posting and hope you really enjoy your new car!

--Byron
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top