Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Mazda has this video on it's site. The widescreen version. This is the first review that I've seen that has compared the two cars and the Solstice has lost. Even if what Edmunds says is true, the Solstice has done a great job for being a first year car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
I think Solstice is getting rave reviews in 95% of the reviews I've seen so far but in the shoot-out/head-to-head comparisons many have been giving MX-5 the nod....but the numbers are very close and Madza did have a 15 year head start so as cwt137 said, not bad for a first year model ;)
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
Wow! surprising amount of visible body roll in the MX-5. Dialing that out will be a popular 1st modification.

Thanks for the great post. Always nice to see sports car being put through their paces.

So when is the Solstice going to have its own DVD?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
mceb said:
I think Solstice is getting rave reviews in 95% of the reviews I've seen so far but in the shoot-out/head-to-head comparisons many have been giving MX-5 the nod....but the numbers are very close and Madza did have a 15 year head start so as cwt137 said, not bad for a first year model ;)
:agree:

With the up grade exhaust and cold air intake, they might even be equal in time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
A quote from video,"the one real drivers should choose,the one we like better."It comes down to what they choose,if you are a real driver. :lol:
Well I guess the Solstice driver,according to Edmunds, aren't real.We are just a figment of our imagination. :willy: :glol:
While I'm at it did you notice the pitch and roll and body contortions,sway,and skid marks the Mazda went through going around curves? :eek: :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
They contradict themselves so many times in that video. They obviously had a preference towards the Miata (which is fine). They admit as much in the intro. Both cars are so close in performance that I would call it a draw. When you are down to 7.5 vs 7.7 0-60 times, nobody is getting stomped. Plus, I thought these were roadsters? I could care less about the 1/4 mile or 0-60. Show me the turns! :devil:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
SATCH said:
While I'm at it did you notice the pitch and roll and body contortions,sway,and skid marks the Mazda went through going around curves? :eek: :cool:
Yes I did. They said they did them at the same speeds, yet the Sosltice seemed to maintain a much better composure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
jimbo said:
Wow! surprising amount of visible body roll in the MX-5. Dialing that out will be a popular 1st modification.
It already is, or will be. Several companies are already working on it. If the MX-5 already handles this good with this much body roll, imagine how it will handle with a stiffer suspension and thicker anti-roll bars. Throw on wider tires for more grip, and the handling will be phenomenal.

I have the stiffer Suspension Package on mine, and I really think it should be the base suspension. Give me a more serious suspension upgrade. The reviewers are saying the MX-5 rides more stiff compared to the Solstice. That worries me, since I already think the MX-5's ride with the Suspension Package is too soft for a sports car. I can't imagine what I would think of the Solstice's softer ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
If that was a sport suspension on the Mazda, I'd hate to see it with something less.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
jstand6 said:
It already is, or will be. Several companies are already working on it. If the MX-5 already handles this good with this much body roll, imagine how it will handle with a stiffer suspension and thicker anti-roll bars. Throw on wider tires for more grip, and the handling will be phenomenal.
Set up as you described, the MX5 should be a handling champ. Sort of a poor man's Elise without the harsh discomfort.

I can only imagine how the MX-5 would stick to tarmac with P245 tires. Would definitely hurt ride, though. The MX-5 being lighter, all that unsprung weight would definitely be noticeable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
jstand6 said:
It already is, or will be. Several companies are already working on it. If the MX-5 already handles this good with this much body roll, imagine how it will handle with a stiffer suspension and thicker anti-roll bars.
After a test drive in the NC, the soft springs were pretty much the main reason I decided to try the Solstice before buying either.
Anyway, Check this out BTW, RX-8 sways are a direct fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
jimbo said:
I can only imagine how the MX-5 would stick to tarmac with P245 tires. Would definitely hurt ride, though. The MX-5 being lighter, all that unsprung weight would definitely be noticeable.
Here you go. 245/45/16 on 16x8 rims. JIC coilovers, and swaybars from an RX-8. IIRC Brian Goodwin said that with the test 93-95 RX-7 (15 lbs) rims, the wheel tire pkg was a tad lighter than the stock 17 and he has lighter rims on the way.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
LBJay said:
Here you go. 245/45/16 on 16x8 rims. JIC coilovers, and swaybars from an RX-8. IIRC Brian Goodwin said that with the test 93-95 RX-7 (15 lbs) rims, the wheel tire pkg was a tad lighter than the stock 17 and he has lighter rims on the way.
how much would all that cost?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,961 Posts
Massive body roll in the MX-5 was the first thing I saw in that video.

And where it counts (slalom) it held on just fine... and they said it was the easier to play with. and then the said it wasn't? contradictions? what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
cwt137 said:
Mazda has this video on it's site. The widescreen version. This is the first review that I've seen that has compared the two cars and the Solstice has lost. Even if what Edmunds says is true, the Solstice has done a great job for being a first year car.
Check out this from a few days ago...other review called 'Pontiac Solstice out-zoom-zooms the Miata' though a little different.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7396
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
JIC's (shocks and springs) are $1699 but that's for adjustable shocks and HA springs.



You can just lower the car for $299 (Eibach) or $249 (06 Mazdaspeed) using the suspension pkg shocks.

The RX-8 and RX-7 parts are used, so it's whatever you can get them for. Tires depend on what you want. $100ea (street) to maybe $175 ea (R-compounds).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,041 Posts
If they thought the Solstice wasn't as much fun to drive, they need to follow Marco around some winding Ohio back roads at speed, now that's fun! They just needed the right vehicle to follow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
I guess that's why you can't find a Sollstice anywhere and every dealer in town has Miatas on the lot. They are sending out "bribes" for you to come test drive the Miatas. If there were no Solstice I would not be in a roadster today. Miata is way to wimpy looking for me.
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top