Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cobalt SS... a complete car, with toys galore.. fast ... cool..

or

Solstice, a cool car, not incredibly fast and doesn't have all the cool toys (XM, MP3, subwoofer etc)...

I keep thinking to myself though, if I get the Cobalt, where do I go from there? The engine is already Supercharged... so i'm going to be stuck with 200hp for the life of the car.

Where as if I get the solstice I could supercharge the 2.4 and get way more horsepower... and I guess I could buy all the little toys as aftermarket stuff..

What would you do? If you were looking for both speed, tunability and gagets?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Well, um... for starters...

The Solstice does have XM, MP3, subwoofer, etc... Secondly, it comes down to practicality. If you need the space and the extra HP the solstice needs, all the power to you... but if you want the look, the handling, the fun, and the cool toys in a pretty different package... go with the Solstice.

They aren't two easy cars to compare for usage, since they are pretty substantially different.

·
4,592 Posts
roadster, take it from a roadster owner! I'll never go back to a car again. We tool around every day for just fun, no other reason, I can't say I've done that since the roadsters of my youth. to each their own, but I say roadster!!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Just because the Cobalt SS is Supercharged already doesn't mean you can't improve on it too. You can change pulley size, intercooler, ECU, cams, and tons of other parts to increase the HP of the car.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The closest I ever came to owning a roadster was a 300XZ with T-Tops, not exactly the same thing. For once in my life I want to experience a roadster, so for me there was no second choice when the Solstice came along. Hell, there will be plenty of aftermarket parts available a year or two down the road, if thats the direction you want to go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pas22....Interesting you say that...I have a '84 300ZX Turbo that I am in the process, of "Making like new"....But, you are correct, they are "NOT" the same. Iam not sure why, however, I am being drawn to this car, like no other. I truly think this car will have a bright future!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
The Solstice wins hands down, unless - you have started or are going to start a family in the immediate future. Then consider speed AND room.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fortimir said:
Well, um... for starters...

The Solstice does have XM, MP3, subwoofer, etc... Secondly, it comes down to practicality. If you need the space and the extra HP the solstice needs, all the power to you... but if you want the look, the handling, the fun, and the cool toys in a pretty different package... go with the Solstice.

They aren't two easy cars to compare for usage, since they are pretty substantially different.
I know owning a roadster is a totally different way of life.. I can accept the storage and seating no problem.

What I was getting at was, for the money (caue they are about the same proce) which one allows me more possibilites. It comes down to what offers me more off the bat (toys) for the money and then what offers me possibilites in the future.

I haven't read anywhere that the Solstice will have XM, MP3 or a subwoofer(which seems very unlikey with the limited sorage in the trunk). The Cobalt comes with a 10" sub in the back already!

brentil said:
Just because the Cobalt SS is Supercharged already doesn't mean you can't improve on it too. You can change pulley size, intercooler, ECU, cams, and tons of other parts to increase the HP of the car.
I guess where I was going with that was, Gm has already tweeked this 2.0 liter to get 200 hp. It would be a waste of money in my eyes to start replacing all the parts (like the intercooler) with better ones. Why not just buy an NA engine and with a bigger displacement and start from scratch.

Anyway, thanks for the talk guys, lol.. I think now i'm leaning more toward the solstice then ever. Getting the Cobalt makes me feel stuck.. I need possibilites.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Slip, check out the early order guide under my signature. There are several documents attached including detailed options lists from GM. XM is in there as well as a sub woofer (behind the seat...probably small).

Also check out the "Spied" thread if you haven't seen it. Pics of test mules with intercoolers on them.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mceb said:
Slip, check out the early order guide under my signature. There are several documents attached including detailed options lists from GM. XM is in there as well as a sub woofer (behind the seat...probably small).

Also check out the "Spied" thread if you haven't seen it. Pics of test mules with intercoolers on them.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497
God that's a nice looking car. Top is a little wonky, like the bump on the top of it.. it's doesnt' appear flat.

Are you sure those are intercoolers or just the Rad?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The Cobalt is a nice car. The Solstice is a nice car. Both are quite different, and I am sure one will suit your needs better than another.

However, I have to disagree with the concept that you are “stuck” at 200, and it would be more difficult to get more power out of it than the N/A Solstice engine.

The internals of that 2.0L S/C motor are more stout than the internals that will be in the Solstice motor. Essentially, the internals in the 2.0L should be able to handle more boost and the N/A 2.4 motor. So you may not be able to just bolt on a turbo or a supercharger to the 2.4L n/a motor and instantly have a ton more power than the 2.0L is putting out.

Next, don’t discount the power adding ability of supercharged motors. You can get significant gains in power simply by changing pulleys on the supercharger (effectively increasing boost). Also, the engine is still making power when it hits redline. With the internals that it has, it should be able to handle a higher redline. Therefore, getting a chip for it with a redline bump should also net more power. Other typical bolt ons could help too. One thing is for sure, GM is not going to put a boosted engine in a production car that has been stretched to its limits for fear of the warranty costs they would have to pay for.

Also keep in mind the 205 rated horsepower GM prints for the 2.0L engine is very conservative. That engine in the Ion Redline has been dyno-ing at about 200 HP. That would place its HP figure up in the neighborhood of 230 or so.

·
Registered
76 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Cobalt SS... a complete car, with toys galore.. fast ... cool..

or

Solstice, a cool car, not incredibly fast and doesn't have all the cool toys (XM, MP3, subwoofer etc)...

I keep thinking to myself though, if I get the Cobalt, where do I go from there? The engine is already Supercharged... so i'm going to be stuck with 200hp for the life of the car.

Where as if I get the solstice I could supercharge the 2.4 and get way more horsepower... and I guess I could buy all the little toys as aftermarket stuff..

What would you do? If you were looking for both speed, tunability and gagets?
If you're undecided between the 2 (Cobalt SS and Solstice), then definitely get the Cobalt SS.
Sounds like you want a tuner and run with the pimp-my-ride crowd. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a completely different experience than the roadster crowd.
I've had a number of roadsters in my day and they don't need to be pimped with after-market stuff to enjoy. 0 - 60 times & HP ratings are not as relevant as the fun factor of driving a twisty road with the top down on a sunny day.
My experience has been that if you have to ask others whether or not you should buy a roadster, then you have already answered your own question - and the answer is "no" you should not...

·
Registered
753 Posts
close your eyes and imagine zipping down a twisty country road in a top down roadster on a late summer afternoon.
now put yourself any place else (stoplight? racetrack?) in a supercharged front drive coupe. which one puts a bigger smile on your face?

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
There is nothing like tooling down the road with the top down and the wind in your face. My wife thought I was crazy when I decided we should drive my Miata to her cousin's wedding three hours from our home. The ride there was simply a top up ride with the windows closed. On the ride home the top was down and the ride was fantastic. The trip back seemed so much shorter than the trip to the wedding. The weather was fantastic, the road open in front of me and the scenery fantastic. Even today my wife talks about the ride home. She's not ready to trade in her Olds for a Miata but she's more than willing to take the weekend drive with me when the weather's good and the top can be down. Now she's leaving a hair band in my glove box so it will be ready any time she needs it. Enjoy the freedom, have some fun.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Skyward said:
If you're undecided between the 2 (Cobalt SS and Solstice), then definitely get the Cobalt SS.
Sounds like you want a tuner and run with the pimp-my-ride crowd. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a completely different experience than the roadster crowd.
I've had a number of roadsters in my day and they don't need to be pimped with after-market stuff to enjoy. 0 - 60 times & HP ratings are not as relevant as the fun factor of driving a twisty road with the top down on a sunny day.
My experience has been that if you have to ask others whether or not you should buy a roadster, then you have already answered your own question - and the answer is "no" you should not...
Okay, I think you may have got the worng impression... I'm not the Pimp-my-Ride crowd... But if the Cobalt SS is associated with that crowd then maybe I could be. What I mean is, I want the Cobalt SS because nothing really NEEDS to be done with it as far as the looks go and the engine (it would be a waste of money to redo a done engine). I know people have said that you can actually do more to the engine then I would think. But to me I can't see putting money into an engine that is already done up.

I understand that a roadster is a different beast. I like that. It's something at my young age (ie. no kids and no real need for back seats, other then to store my empty Wendy's bags) The top down lifestyle is a suductive one.
That being said, there is no reason that me wanting to mod the engine to make a roadster faster is anyway wrong.

After 3 years, having options or modifications keeps the car fresh.

I like them both a lot. They are both in my price range (as is the G6 GTP coupe, but I think it's going to be a while before that comes out) and i'm having a hell of a time deciding what offers more.
I guess if all you want is a convertable, then it's an easy decision for most of you. I like toys as well...

I guess you guys are saying that the Solstice is just one big toy.

·
Registered
753 Posts
not exactly for me. traveling by car is something that i do for all kinds of practical reasons. extracting as much fun from that necessary activity is what the roadster is about. i think a better analogy would be the difference between oatmeal and a good steak. you need to eat, but how you take pleasure in eating is a choice you make.

·
4,592 Posts
SlipSlider said:
I guess you guys are saying that the Solstice is just one big toy.
You got it!!!

You are trying to compare apples and oranges. Bottom line, a car is a car is a car (even if it's a REALLY nice car).

My advice, go rent a convertible for the day. I did that months ago, a mitshubishi eclipse, not that I liked that car, but because it was the only convertible avaiable. Take it for a nice cruise down some backroads, backcountry kinda stuff. You'll see the point of a convertible.

Now, you're not done, you have to figure in the handling of a roadster. The roadters are not about power, but handling, you take those same backcountry roads, and imaging you can get some fun twisties going. Nothing like it.

Or go for a car, enough said.

Maybe try to find a miata to rent, it will give you a sense of the roadster experience as they handle pretty well (no slams please).

Renting a car of like design is a good way to base some decisons on (atleast in my perspective).

Get a roadster is my advice, but I am biased :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts