Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Saturn SL with 157000 miles on it. The car has treated me very well up until this point. I have only had to replace the altinator (which seems to go bad more often than it should). Now I seem to need a new steering rack, because I am leaking steering fluid (I need to put in a pint every 10 days) and I am now also leaking antifreeze from the engine. I really want to get the Solstice, but if my car doesn't last until then I may not be able to. Therefore, I come here to see if I can get any advice.

My first thing that I looked into doing was seeing if the dealer could give me a loaner car until the Solstice arrives. He said that they wouldn't be able to do it due to the laws in New York.

My first question is what were the conditions that people have been given a car (most likely you had to pay something) from the dealer on a temporary basis until the new car arrived (I know that some people on this forum have done this) and what state are you in.

The second question is revolves around fixing the car. Do you guys recommend a sealant that can fix a coolant leak in the engine?

Maybe you have some other advice for me.

Jamie

·
Registered
281 Posts
Epoxy putty impregnated with steel is pretty strong stuff. I don't recomment JB Weld, even if they say on the package it's been used to fix engine blocks. I tried using JB Weld to fix a leaky radiator end cap, made out of plastic, and the JB Weld cracked. However, epoxy putty impregnated with steel seems to be stronger.

Good luck with your fix, I hope you get your new car, soon.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Lucas oil makes a power steering fluid replacement that will not leak. Used it on my 86 4-Runner. It's been in for over 5 years and still no leak. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
First thing you should do as far as your engine leak is to pinpoint where it's coming from. Most of the time, it just turns out to be a cracked radiator hose or something which is extremely cheap and easy to change. Park over a clean area (or a piece of cardboard) and get a ballpark idea where the leak is coming from. Then look around under the hood for signs of a leak (usually there will be dried residue along a hose or near a connection). Finally, run the car to get the temperature up and watch for where drips form to confirm the location of the leak.

If it's just a hose, you should be able to fix it yourself easily. If it's a leak in the radiator, it's a bit more complicated but still not bad for a do-it-yourself job. More than likely it will be one of those two things ... keep your fingers crossed and you might get away with buying a $10 hose and a 10-minute repair. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You could try a seal conditioner in the power steering pump, it can't hurt. It might slow down the leak. SlySol's advice to try to find the coolant leak is wise. It may be a simple fix. If it is coming out of the water pump, radiator or engine block, I'd just keep pouring water in until the Solstice arrives unless you think the car is worth the money to properly fix it. I wouldn't waste time with any of the "radiator sealants", they do more harm than good.

·
Registered
460 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
A prouduct call barsleak did wonders for me back in the day. My dad turned me on to it saying that it fixed leaks in subs . All you do is add it to the coolent worth a try :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
I have a 95 Saturn SL with 157000 miles on it. The car has treated me very well up until this point. I have only had to replace the altinator (which seems to go bad more often than it should). Now I seem to need a new steering rack, because I am leaking steering fluid (I need to put in a pint every 10 days) and I am now also leaking antifreeze from the engine. I really want to get the Solstice, but if my car doesn't last until then I may not be able to. Therefore, I come here to see if I can get any advice.

My first thing that I looked into doing was seeing if the dealer could give me a loaner car until the Solstice arrives. He said that they wouldn't be able to do it due to the laws in New York.

My first question is what were the conditions that people have been given a car (most likely you had to pay something) from the dealer on a temporary basis until the new car arrived (I know that some people on this forum have done this) and what state are you in.

The second question is revolves around fixing the car. Do you guys recommend a sealant that can fix a coolant leak in the engine?

Maybe you have some other advice for me.

Jamie

I had a similar problem with my 99 Grand Am. I went to my local Wal-Mart and bought Bars Coolant Stop Leak (it's like $5). After pouring into the coolant your run the car like you normally would. Went to the shop to have it checked out, it stopped the leaking. It's only temperary, but this sounds like what you might want to try out till your solstice comes.

Check out the product website, it works:
http://www.barsproducts.com/coolf1.html

LOL, just noticed the above post...

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Regarding advice on getting a temporary new ride, if the problems aren't repairable.

One forum member mentioned buying a used car from their dealer, with the agreement that the dealer would take the used car back as a trade-in at or near the price they paid to buy it from the dealer. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, you can try negotiating something like this. It does involve an element of trust in the promises of your dealer, though.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
If you guys ever listen to Click and Clack on NPR, they once had a caller who had a radiator problem and fixed it by cracking two raw eggs and putting them in the radiator. The caller said it would work for about two weeks before he had to "refresh" the fix. It's crazy what some people will try. If you haven't heard the episode on the radio, it's on one of their CD's. Lots of fun. Most dealers have a cheap car lot. Try to work out a deal where you trade in the Saturn on a cheap car as long as the dealer is willling to have it traded back in when the Solstice arrives. If it is a good dealer, I'm certain they will want to work with you. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts