Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will skip the obvious stuff like the small trunk and lack of places to put anything inside the car.

It was an entry level roadster and...it shows in place. The interior looks good but it's rather cheap feeling. Some of the plastics seems cheap and flimsy. I couldn't get XM installed because the plastics were too thin to take the pressure of the wire being run between them long term without warping or cracking The cup holders are poorly placed and seem flimsy. There are other signs like a large panel gap below the hood on the driver's side and a gap in the back of one of the wheel wells large enough to fit a screwdriver through.

The manual roof is obviously there to simplify the design and save cost but it's a bit ghetto compared to the power tops you get on some other convertibles. It works and it's cheaper than a power top but it's a bit ghetto.

The automatic transmission is a bit...dimwitted at times. It doesn't handle downshifting well. Downshifts are jerky and it's especially obvious at low speeds. It doesn't handle downshifting as well as my old Saturn LS which is 7 years older and considerably less expensive even when it was new.

It's fun to drive. I love driving it. I go places just to drive on the windy roads. It really is a bit underpowered though. The FR-S seemd a bit underpowered at 200 bhp with a lower curb weight than the Solstice. The Solstice could use some more hosepower.

Some of the interior lights and displays should be a bit brighter. They are hard to read in the sunlight. In most cars, that wouldn't matter but this is a convertible so it sometimes does. Most notably, the indicator for what gear I am in and the coolant temperature readout on the DIC are hard to read in the sunlight. Speaking of readouts and temperature, it really should have an oil temperature gauge on it.

I have never had a car with an engine that was this affected by turning on the air conditioning. When I turn it on, the additional strain on the engine is very obvious. Even sitting at a light idling, I can feel the way the engine runs change and the engine get bogged down. The car also vibrates very noticeably. Even turning on the air conditioner in my old Saturn SC2 (124 hp and the most gutless car I have ever owned) didn't have that sort of affect.

There are some rattles. Most notably one on the right side of the dashboard near the passenger side airbag. I have a warranty and I called the dealership but they want a $300 up front inspection fee and say the work might not be covered even if it's a failed part. I am going to try a different dealership when I am in Fresno (Kitihara GMC) and see what they say but I got the runaround at the service department at the delership where I bought the car.

I still love my Solstice but it has its failings.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
yeah well...
You are confirming statements that have been said on the forum over the years.
In 06, the starting price of the car was $19,995.
Trade-offs were made to reach that price point.

But we love them !
:driving:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agree with you on the downfalls, but this car is as fun to drive as my motorcycle. Why would anyone purchase this car with an automatic? Love to shift the gears and it gives me more control of the engine.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I love my solstice. But I had to get an automatic. My wife is hell on clutches.

·
Registered
868 Posts
With all the complaints why did you buy? look at a prowler trunk.
If you know how to pack you can get clothes in the car for a week for two.
Look inside a Porsche one day see cheap ass dash.
Wow trade it out for something you might like!

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Easy now. I think Mike is just acknowledging what a lot of us have. Once you spend some time behind the wheel you notice things.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why would anyone purchase this car with an automatic?
Because it was used and that is what they had for sale.

Wow trade it out for something you might like!
So if I have any criticism at all of any aspect of the vehicle, I should trade it out? Yeah. That's a reasonable response.

Sell the Solstice and go buy an S2k. Let us know if it rattles.........

They are used cars.
Yeah. There's another reasonable response.

Did people miss the last sentence in my post?

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
So you bought the car why??

We have packed enough clothes for two weeks, driven it thousands of miles, and still get great comments about it.

It is a blast to drive.

Got the Auto because my wife cannot drive a stick, and have no complaints, just learned how to use it.

As the TV show says, love it or leave it!

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
All your complaints are valid.

Most have been addressed with multiple solutions

Cup holders can be tuned and made to function well. See my thread on cup holders.

I have recovered or painted, or carbon fiber dipped 90% of my interior.

I have had the entire interior of the car out and can testify that the panels are pretty robust and I have had no problems running cabling behind, through or along seams. Give it a try and use your imagination. :)

The center console can crack and fail. There are threads about building a support ar reinforcing the structure.

Glad you are enjoying the car I spite of its foibles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We got an auto, wifee has a bad disc and shifting in heavy traffic bothers her. (this is her summer car) She's 5' tall, and moves the seat forward so she has room for 2 weeks of clothes behind her seat! The GXP has enough power to overcome transmission shortcomings and still be a blast to drive. This is our second GXP, the first was totaled after 40K miles, this one only has 3,000 miles on it, everything inside and out is perfect. Reliability on the old one was average, local dealer was above average, fun factor is priceless!

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
It is all about character! Focus only on the mole on Cindy's cheek and you miss the gorgeous large picture! Small trunk, we learn to pack. Plastic interior, remember it is a convertible! Clumsy cup-holders, '57 Chevys didn't have a one, but they're still cool. Not an NHRA dragster, enjoy the twisties. High air resistance, but it doesn't look like anything else on the road! Adjust, adapt, enjoy! Permagrin.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Agree with the shortcomings. They are there. But my approach is to fix them and move on. Add FI and there is a ton of available power. JPM can deck out the interior to look as good as a Ferarri. Chase the rattles, and you'll find them. Yours sounds like the winshield surround to me ( the one on the outside under the hood, where the widshield wipers mount). Make sure it's sucked up tight to the glass. Maybe even run a bead of silicone under it.

You WILL learn to love it if you do.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Every time someone comes on and posts his observations about the shortcomings of these cars, you get a knee jerk response of why don't you go away and buy something else.

The guy just noted his observations, he isn't condemning the cars. I happen to agree with pretty much all he said and like his last line says, I also like my Solstice.

ALL cars are flawed creations to one degree or another yet many are able to afford their owners great enjoyment in use. The Solstice is no different.

Mike, hang around and read old threads and you'll find shortcomings talked about that you haven't found yet! That's part of the function of a site like this, to exchange information about how to fix factory bloopers and get best use from the cars, not to do nothing but praise them and pretend they are perfect.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Having the GXP and manual (really, the only way to go with these cars from the factory) the other stuff is cheaply fixable, with the exception of the interior. Love my car, but hate the interior and I bought it despite that.

The interior is fixable too, and something I aim to do in the future... but it ain't cheaply fixable (see: RtE's :))

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Having the GXP and manual (really, the only way to go with these cars from the factory) the other stuff is cheaply fixable, with the exception of the interior. Love my car, but hate the interior and I bought it despite that.

The interior is fixable too, and something I aim to do in the future... but it ain't cheaply fixable (see: RtE's :))
I bought mine knowing at least half the stuff already and found out some other shortcomingsglater (first time I nosed the car downhill into my driveway and had to back out blind into possible traffic, was the last time - this applies to the coupe only).

The interior is shoddy plastic, but I can ignore that, partly because to redo it to the same quality as some of my old British stuff would eat up the best part of about $5K.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have never had a car with an engine that was this affected by turning on the air conditioning. When I turn it on, the additional strain on the engine is very obvious.
I drove a brand new 1975 AMC Pacer. Going 60 mph when the AC kicked on. My face almost planted into the windshield.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Order my 06(NA) in July of 05 and got it in January of 06. Having the car for over 7 years , still can't wait to drive it again each spring (stored winters). Now I have to decided which car to drive (bought a 09(NA) coupe last fall). Both are manual transmission, and fun to drive.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
It is all about character! Focus only on the mole on Cindy's cheek and you miss the gorgeous large picture! Small trunk, we learn to pack. Plastic interior, remember it is a convertible! Clumsy cup-holders, '57 Chevys didn't have a one, but they're still cool. Not an NHRA dragster, enjoy the twisties. High air resistance, but it doesn't look like anything else on the road! Adjust, adapt, enjoy! Permagrin.
Cindy has a mole on her cheek?

How did I miss this?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts