Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Iowa and we got a solstice in and I went to look at it today and wow the pics don't do it justice. It was in the showroom and being its sunday I could not get close to it since dealers are closed. However I know the GM sales manager at the dealer so I will be driving it! I hope to get one in the summer if not earlier!

·
Registered
439 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Congrats on seeing the Solstice in person!!

BUT.....if this car was delivered to this dealer for a customer, then you should not get to drive it. This manager friend and you should know better anyway, but if it's just a car that the dealer ordered, then have fun!!

I'm sure everyone here would agree with me on this one.

- bspate -

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I very well agree with that and was thinking the same thing. However my dad told me that the dealer was advertising it in the paper this morning so that must mean its not for a customer, otherwise why would they advertise it? Thats just my guess but I will talk to him first. It just surprises me that they have one because so many people don't even have one yet and we live in Iowa!! Anyways seriously guys for those who have not seen one in person all I can say is once you see you must have it. I was gonna get a tiburon or an RX-8 but I think Im sold on it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dealer advertising one in the paper?

Did I read that right? Your dealer has one coming in and they're going to advertise it in the paper? It is not already ordered by someone? Wow. Just seems weird that there are people all over the country who have been waiting for months for a car and one is showing up with no buyer.

Heck, tell the dealer to save his advertsing money and just park it in front of the dealership. He'll probably have to beat the buyers off with a stick.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would be VERY angry with my dealer if he let someone drive my car without my permission. And my dealer knows he does NOT have my permission.

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
AFSOC 1st Sgt said:
Did I read that right? Your dealer has one coming in and they're going to advertise it in the paper? It is not already ordered by someone? Wow. Just seems weird that there are people all over the country who have been waiting for months for a car and one is showing up with no buyer.

Heck, tell the dealer to save his advertsing money and just park it in front of the dealership. He'll probably have to beat the buyers off with a stick.
Ernie Guzman Pontiac in Houston would not take orders for the Solstice. Salesman says they ordered about 10 without customers, but they've only gotten one in so far, a Cool. One of the Forum members said that was HIS car, they wouldn't let him have it for MSRP so he lost it. They want $5000 over MSRP, the skunks! They also have a pre-production parked out on the shoulder of US Highway 59 feeder road for advertising! Looked just like MARiSOL!

SmokinSolstice: do us a favor and get the VIN (last 6 digits) off that one on the showroom floor and post back here again. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well guys I don't really know yet I will have all the info either tomorrow or tuesday. All I know is that today is sunday and in the sunday paper the dealer advertised that they have one in stock. How did they get one while so many other people are trying to get one and how can they have one with no buyer? That I just don't know yet till I ask and find out. Its just seems odd that they would advertise it if it was for a customer. All I did was just peep into the showroom window and saw a black one sitting in there. I will try to get the vin number also Im located in bettendorf Iowa. I also would not be surprised at all tomorrow is it gets sold cause someone I know had to see the ad and will probably be in the dealer first thing to buy it with the way the demand is.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Last weekend a Kansas City area dealer advertised in the local paper that they had a Solstice for sale. They did not print a price in the newspaper. I didn't go look at it, because I already have mine. As far as I know, this is only the 3rd production Solstice in the Kansas City area. Some dealers have had a factory pre-production model on display.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more note....it had michigan plates on it.

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
WELL! That tells us something!

That's a pre-production owned by GM and loaned to various dealerships.

The VIN is probably between 100001 and 100700. It's already been titled, and it has miles on it. They still could ask for $5000 over premium, but I hope no one pays it.

Probably sold to that dealership so they could get a sale in sooner.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
jimmyo said:
Last weekend a Kansas City area dealer advertised in the local paper that they had a Solstice for sale. They did not print a price in the newspaper. I didn't go look at it, because I already have mine. As far as I know, this is only the 3rd production Solstice in the Kansas City area. Some dealers have had a factory pre-production model on display.
They have had one of those pre-production models in Leavenworth (a little northwest of KC) since Tuesday. It is supposed to move on to another dealership in the area on Monday. I think the last 3 of the VIN is 590, but it is definately a pre-production and not for sale.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I just was thinking that maybe it is not for sale but perhaps to get people in to place orders? To generate interest?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
This morning I dropped off my other toy for its last check up prior to being sold this week at Beck & Masten (1960 store).
They had a black Sol sitting out on the corner outcrop.
I said, hey sweet thing. My wife said, "what?".
Nevermind, I was talking to the car!
I thought that I heard her mumble "dumbass" but I can't be sure.

·
Missing my Dad 9/40-5/08
330 Posts
AFSOC 1st Sgt said:
I stopped in at my dealer last week and he told me he has one coming in shortly for a customer and also a red one that is for their stock. So, it is possible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Eastocean said:
I would be VERY angry with my dealer if he let someone drive my car without my permission. And my dealer knows he does NOT have my permission.
The problem is he doesn't need your permission. It wouldn't be a smart business decision for the dealer to let someone test drive the car you ordered but, as discussed before, these cars are not ours until we pay for them. If the dealer doesn't care about customer relations our only recourse is: not buy the car.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
ARKTEK said:
The problem is he doesn't need your permission. It wouldn't be a smart business decision for the dealer to let someone test drive the car you ordered but, as discussed before, these cars are not ours until we pay for them. If the dealer doesn't care about customer relations our only recourse is: not buy the car.
Yeah, like that's a viable option after waiting for many months. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hence, if the dealer going to do it we don't have much leverage.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
ARKTEK said:
Hence, if the dealer going to do it we don't have much leverage.
Oh, I agree with you. They can do what they want, if you don't like it you can walk away. But after waiting, there's no way I would walk, other than a large premium being attached. As far as people sitting in, hand prints, etc., if I was buying a car off the lot these things could happen anyway, so I'm not losing sleep over the possibility.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts